ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I have tried loading a large route into my Montana (Kelowna BC to Brookings, OR via Olympic Peninsula) and it did not work. No trouble creating the route in BaseCamp, but I just could not get it to load once I transferred it to the Montana.

In testing I found the only way to get it to work was to load it in smaller (day ride length) routes with start and finish waypoints and a couple of extras waypoints inbetween.

I finally went back and converted the entire route to a track and loaded my important waypoints so I could route directly to the waypoints if I decided to go off-track and then wanted to get to the next important waypoint.

I do not think it was a space limitation as I have 1/3 of my hard drive as free space......I just think that a very large route has too much data for the Montana to load and run efficiently. The brain can only handle so much.

J
There are a few limits when it comes to Along-road Routing. As mentioned there is a 50 Via Point limit. There is also a distance limit which I think (haven't tested lately) is 1000 miles. If one does judicious placement of Via Points AFTER intersections they seem to not get announced and you still get the intersection shown in the Navigation Info list. I have to believe you can make a rather complex along-road route (maybe not walking) with 50 via points.

One trick I used when I had zumo's was to use waypoints for information and not route path shaping. This enabled me to have lots of Waypoints associated with the route. I used Proximity Alerts so that I would get prompts on the zumo.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote