ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #5251
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Montana shuts down

G'day Everyone,

Hope I can explain this right, Montana when I have a route up and go into the icon that shows a square with 5 lines (little box) the one you use to make changes, the system completely shuts down. Hoping that one of you gurus may bring some light as to why this happens and how I can fix this. Only happens with the routing.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #5252
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Wow, we seem to be all over the place on this topic.

Strait answer to your question is, yes, you can have a mixed (on/off-mapped road) routes and send it to the Montana but you'll have to have the exact same map set on the Montana as MapSource or BaseCamp did when you created the route (and yes, you can make mixed-routes in BaseCamp). Just have to remember to set Recalculation to OFF when you navigate your mixed-route.

Example of Mixed-Route created in BaseCamp on 24K US North Central Topo:

Cheers,
Base camp for windows ?
Thanks

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #5253
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Have you tried it in BC 4.0.1? I can't get it to do mixed routing in either the Mac or Windows versions.

Quote:
Wow, we seem to be all over the place on this topic.

Strait answer to your question is, yes, you can have a mixed (on/off-mapped road) routes and send it to the Montana but you'll have to have the exact same map set on the Montana as MapSource or BaseCamp did when you created the route (and yes, you can make mixed-routes in BaseCamp). Just have to remember to set Recalculation to OFF when you navigate your mixed-route.

Example of Mixed-Route created in BaseCamp on 24K US North Central Topo:

Cheers,

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #5254
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
New computer, Basecamp, and Montana

I had something strange happen the other day when I connected the Montana to my new MacBook Air.

All I had was basecamp installed at the time. When I plugged the Montana in Basecamp only showed the base map that comes on the Montana. Not the CN NA maps that I have installed on the Montana.

I thought for sure that basecamp would read all the maps on the montana and let me choose from them.

Am I mistaken?

I thought for sure the first time I connected it to one of my other computers all the maps showed in the list but to be honest it's been so long that I could be wrong.

Of course once I loaded CN NA 2012.40 then I could choose it from the list.

Jon...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #5255
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I had something strange happen the other day when I connected the Montana to my new MacBook Air.

All I had was basecamp installed at the time. When I plugged the Montana in Basecamp only showed the base map that comes on the Montana. Not the CN NA maps that I have installed on the Montana.

I thought for sure that basecamp would read all the maps on the montana and let me choose from them.

Am I mistaken?

I thought for sure the first time I connected it to one of my other computers all the maps showed in the list but to be honest it's been so long that I could be wrong.

Jon...
You probably need to run Javawa Device Manager on that gps/map to enable its visibility in BaseCamp.

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #5256
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Quote:

Am I mistaken?

Jon...
This tool will help you see all the maps loaded on your GPS:

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #5257
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Thanks guys.

Yeah it's all good now that I loaded the maps on my computer and unlocked them.

I was just surprised that they did not show up in Basecamp with the Montana connected to the computer before loading the maps on the computer.

Regarding the software you both pointed me to. I've seen you mention it a few times now so I guess I should check it out.

Jon...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #5258
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:

I was just surprised that they did not show up in Basecamp with the Montana connected to the computer before loading the maps on the computer.

Regarding the software you both pointed me to. I've seen you mention it a few times now so I guess I should check it out
If you run Javawa on the map you'll be able to connect to any computer with BaseCamp and see the maps, not just computers where you've installed the maps. Definitely worth doing.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #5259
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
There are a few limits when it comes to Along-road Routing. As mentioned there is a 50 Via Point limit. There is also a distance limit which I think (haven't tested lately) is 1000 miles. If one does judicious placement of Via Points AFTER intersections they seem to not get announced and you still get the intersection shown in the Navigation Info list. I have to believe you can make a rather complex along-road route (maybe not walking) with 50 via points.

One trick I used when I had zumo's was to use waypoints for information and not route path shaping. This enabled me to have lots of Waypoints associated with the route. I used Proximity Alerts so that I would get prompts on the zumo.

Cheers,
You are likely right DRTBYK.......only I have become so comfortable with the ease of track use that I really only use routes in a pinch to get somewhere quick without spending a bunch of time figuring out an exact track.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #5260
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Thanks guys.

Regarding the software you both pointed me to. I've seen you mention it a few times now so I guess I should check it out.

Jon...
I'll be doing the same on a macbook air soon. Did you use an external dvd drive, or is there another way?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #5261
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
You are likely right DRTBYK.......only I have become so comfortable with the ease of track use that I really only use routes in a pinch to get somewhere quick without spending a bunch of time figuring out an exact track.
I am also a BIG proponent of using Tracks; especially with Waypoints along the path - and proximity alerts. But, I have to know what Routes do because my clients will surely want to use them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #5262
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Have you tried it in BC 4.0.1? I can't get it to do mixed routing in either the Mac or Windows versions.
The route you were looking at in my post was created 5min before I posted it... so, yes to either: Windows or Mac BC v4.0.1.

The trick is to switch between a routable and non-routable map when you want to go "off-road". On Mac BC you can do it another way using the Routing Properties window to switch between Along-road and Direct Routing Activities and then use the cmd-z when BC wants to recalculate. But, the map switching is easier and less confusing.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #5263
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan View Post
G'day Everyone,

Hope I can explain this right, Montana when I have a route up and go into the icon that shows a square with 5 lines (little box) the one you use to make changes, the system completely shuts down. Hoping that one of you gurus may bring some light as to why this happens and how I can fix this. Only happens with the routing.
Sounds like you need to update your firmware to v4.60. By the way the "little box" is the Options button.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #5264
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Slight change of topic here.......but on my recent trip of a week ago I noticed on about 3-4 occasions that my 650t lost satellite reception, all but one of those occasions when there were NO obstructions, mountains or trees. Once in Idaho on US Hwy 2 just north of Silverwood for about 5 miles. Any ideas? My 276c used to loose satellite reception often and appears to be more sensitive to this.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #5265
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Slight change of topic here.......but on my recent trip of a week ago I noticed on about 3-4 occasions that my 650t lost satellite reception, all but one of those occasions when there were NO obstructions, mountains or trees. Once in Idaho on US Hwy 2 just north of Silverwood for about 5 miles. Any ideas? My 276c used to loose satellite reception often and appears to be more sensitive to this.

Thanks.
Hey Bruce,

I was just over that way last week - didn't notice any Black Hole activity. Kidding aside, it's hard to say why your GPS lost signal unless it is repeatable. Five miles is quite a ways to not have signal though. Any other issues?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS