Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #31
Datan556
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
used yamalube in a 30:1 (30liters: 1liter) mix in yz250. Factory guys said its the safest way of riding. burns clean as well, others use it in Suzies and kawa's Kx. Its a pretty good oil, throttle response feels better, used a synthetic oil of a petrol comp, shite! 80:1? is that 'gallons' or liters?

and it didnt blow a lot of smoke...
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #32
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
used yamalube in a 30:1 (30liters: 1liter) mix in yz250. Factory guys said its the safest way of riding. burns clean as well, others use it in Suzies and kawa's Kx. Its a pretty good oil, throttle response feels better, used a synthetic oil of a petrol comp, shite! 80:1? is that 'gallons' or liters?

and it didnt blow a lot of smoke...
Yamalube are Valvoliine producs if the guy at the local
Yamaha shop is to be beleaved.. Yamalube is someone
ealse products rebranded..Yamaha don't make oils..

Bellray MC1 is becoming hard to find now..even online..
So I got some Moltul 800 premix lube..see how it go's

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 03:49 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #33
Twin-shocker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Motul 800 is a proper fully synthetic pre-mix only product, and is fine for trials use. However if you choose to run any more oil than 70:1, its maybe not that great an idea as fully syn doesnt burn as easy as semi or mineral, and exhaust system will get need servicing much more often.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #34
Twin-shocker OP
Beastly Adventurer

"Well are you? How much is enough? What oil do I use?

These are all questions that are commonly asked here. You may find many answers, Some old school, some conservative, some safe. Yet for the most part is seems that many tend to err on the old school rules here that no longer apply and in fact is is costing you money in both higher maintenance and wasted product.

I will not even get into environmental concerns here, as it is a secondary issue, yet not forgotton.

Now we are talking trials bikes here, mostly putting about, revving a bit on occasion, then you gotta doo the BIG hill and the bike starts smoking like a chimney! Why, you ask? Because it is fully loaded in the motor and exhaust with all the wasted oil that you have accumulated from the day, or more that has accumulated in there and may never get out really, just turns to grunge that stops up your mid box and muff because it does not move.

It cannot because it is lacking in two respects, these being air Velocity, to which the motor has not maintained through large throttle openings during the ride, the average here being not over half throttle at best, and the other being Heat transferred into the exhaust under high engine loads such as the hillclimb(at half or more).

Fact is that most simply do not even grt the bike into a mode of operation to use the oil that you put in! The rest as bogging waste!

Now, I shall start off by example of the fact that our(Sherco) Pro riders here have used the mix of 80:1 of high quality synthetic for over a decade now I believe, and without issue.Now these lads do get some revs in the bikes on a regular basis and tend to keep some heat in the motor and exhaust. Do you ride at top level? Most do not even come close!

Ok, so I can be like them and run 80:1!!! Well, y'hat is a start for some! Mind you we are not doing consistant high revs and road work here at speeds. Just normal passages between sections and such with some hills and vals and some hard running, yet even hard runs up long hills and things are fine.

You got any long runds up a mountainside? Few again!

Comment as you will. I shall get back on this later!"

Above posted on a UK trials chat forum, and is relatively accurate other than the fact the writer does not point out its not that great an idea to use dual purpose (pre-mix-autolube) "fully synthetic" oils at very lean mix ratios, so its a post which simply adds to the very obvious confusion over 2T oils, and will mean most of those running too much oil for best possible running, are likely to continue to do so.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
r2wtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I use Rock oil strawberry 2 :) yes, it smells of strawberries!! Not sure if you get it over in the USA, but Ipone also did a strawberry smelling one a while back.

I have used it for years, at 75:1 in my Beta's, 100:1 in GasGas' and 50:1 in my SWM.. it is synthetic.

The reason GasGas pro's run at 100:1 is that unlike most others they don't use the oil in the fuel to lubricate the crank bearings. They run in the gearbox oil so it is more important to use a good oil in there and change it often on the Pro's.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #36
550SENTA
Banned

Oddometer: 79
i

550SENTA screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 12:24 PM
550SENTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
Twin-shocker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Will all the smoke mean that we wont be able to see your bike when you finally post pics?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #38
550SENTA
Banned

[

550SENTA screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,573
Try my old lawnboy mower (1956 model) at 16 to one. It will live at 24 to one but no less. It has plain bearings. You can not lean it much. At least you do not get mosquito bit. It did stop the homeowners association from pestering me about mowing every 4 days.

The point is, most of us do not know what other things the mfg does to an engine to use lean oil mixtures. If it originally was listed at 50 to one, 32 to one or whatever, you do not know if it is compatible with 100 to 1 synthetic. Not worth it to me.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #40
550SENTA
Banned

[

550SENTA screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
dptropepe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
In '07 I bought a Beta 200 new in the box. From day one it got nothing but VP race fuel, and full synthetic pre-mix at 80:1. More than 350 hours later, that bike had more compression than I have weight. That poor two hundred rode the Ute cup in '09, not to mention almost every weekend of hard riding for practice, and events. When I sold it two years ago, it still had the same top end(I never even took the cylinder head off), and like new performance. I'm no authority on the subject, just telling of my own experience.
dptropepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #42
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
+1 on VP fuel and a good quality oil at 80:1.

I run VP C9 fuel and Motul 800 on all my bikes.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #43
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,646
Yamalube-R,semi synthetic. Its whats for dinner,Ive always ran it and its always worked. 32 to1 because Im an old school 2 stroke guy. Never had to clean a power valve yet,never any buildup of any kind.
Ive gone 4 years of abuse on a KTM200 and it still had 160 lbs of compression.

80 to 1 is a rich mixture,not a lean mixture. The bike is burning the gas to make power,not the oil. less oil = more gas per gallon of mixed fuel. Bike just has to be jetted for whatever is running through it. Bike will run richer on 80 to 1 then it will on 32 to 1.

I know these are tough things to hear sometimes.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #44
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550SENTA View Post
i use bixxol full sinthetic oil 100/1 mixed in the gassoline and lately i use a teflon additive mixed with the oil oil ,it is 60/1,makes a lot of smoke.i dont use the oil pump,i take it off.in a week or so i will try liqui moly 2 stroke racing oil additive with molibdenum disulfide .in what moped do you pour 2 stroke oil, is it a pocket bike or do you need to know how to made a oil mix 4 your chainsaw,because i think your a peasant living in a remote area,isolated surrounded by bears and you have erotic fantasyes when you see a poster with the pope
You sir,need a hobby. The one thing you dont want to do is keep changing what you run in a 2 stroke.
Its not science,and the 2 stroke gods will be angered if you keep blowing different colors of smoke out of the same engine. This concentrated thinking about the pope and what hes wearing can only lead to no good.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #45
Foot dragger
singletracker

Trials guys are funny.