User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Oddometer: 82
Laugh Nordkapp in September, on a '95 BMW F650.

So first a few highlights of the last couple of weeks, just to grab the attention:

Then some introductions:

I’m Thijs, 23 years old from the Netherlands, and graduated from college last february. Got myself a nice job to pay for this 2 year old dream of mine, which is mostly fuelled by the great ride ride reports on this site. Got my license early last year, and been working towards this thing ever since. Been lurking around ADV for some time.

Trying on a tank-like R1200GS at the 2012 ‘Motorbeurs’, an annual bike fair in the Netherlands.

Didn’t want to go in the high season, so originally intended to do the trip before the summer. However didn’t get things in place to do this, so decided to go directly after the end of the summer holidays, the month September. In the Netherlands this is often one of the best months in the year, with nice late-summer sun and temperatures. Only after making the arrangements to get the month off at work, I saw this was actually the wettest month in Scandinavia. Never mind, just go! I actually managed to do it in three weeks, and the weather was not that bad - most of the time.

Photo taken around it’s 100.000 km anniversary around october last year, at Schiphol airport. There are also 3 aircraft in the picture

My bike is the single cylinder ’95 BMW F650 Funduro, with just over 110.000 km on the odometer at the start of the trip. It had been standing in my parent’s garage for a couple of years, and I started riding it at the 85.000 km mark early last year. Used it a lot to get to work / college in all kinds of weather. For internships last year it did over 160km every day for months at a time, and it never let me down.

So, very important part, route map!

All my GPS tracks combined in Google Earth, the dotted lines represent the big ferries and are added by hand.

I planned to take around 25 days but it eventually took me 20 days, and 7700 km.

Although I didn’t get to do the Nordkapp trip before the summer, I did get the chance to do a ‘warm-up’ trip during ascension weekend last May (which is a 4 day public holiday in the NL). I went to Wales in the UK to see how I would find being alone on the road all day, not having everything planned, and most importantly: to find out how much kilometres a day I would be comfortable with riding the very raw F650 engine. This small trip was not planned, and I only got the idea the weekend before.

Since for me both trips are part of the same adventure, I’ll start the report off with an impression of Wales in the next post, before moving on to ‘the main event’.

Thijs_B screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 01:26 PM Reason: Updated the pictures in the beginning.
Thijs_B is offline   Reply With Quote