User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
R S F R is a cool idea.

I have long considered a variant of this idea. Mine is more fly, buy, ride, store, fly. All from a home base in Mexico is the plan. The home base could change every 2-3 years as I get bored with an area.

Why? A CB125 non-cargo model, new, costs $14,900 pesos, or $1,162 USD in Mexico.

http://www.honda.mx/motos/tool/

Storage, maybe $5 - 8 a month at a dealership, prepaid. If catastrophe occurs in the unknowns, I'm out $1,200 and the cost to get back to my base city. When flying home, drain the tank into a paint bucket and in Mexico it resells in 2-3 seconds on the street. Bomb the tank with WD40 after draining and you are all good till the next trip. Pay someone an extra $5 and you probably could have a friendly employee drive your scoot to and from the airport. Everyone has the eeeeeenternet these days, so notifying would be relatively easy.

Flights from Houston to Monterrey are on sale for $199 R/T all the time. That's waaay cheaper than driving, border crossing, permits, etc... And I never have to worry about a vehicle permit and getting it out at some point. Base 2, probably Mexico City (D.F.), is like $250 a flight. Base 3, maybe Oaxaca, grows in cost, but hopefully in relation to my income, lol.

Sure, a 150 is slow (55mph), won't get you far fast, ugly, can't carry much cargo, etc...but in Mexico you are always within 20 miles of a $10 hotel, $5 meal, and $1 cerveza. Mexico on a 150 is Mexico the Mexican way. All I need is a 2nd set of riding gear, helmet, and to come from the states with a backpack, a tank bag, a bundle of cash, and a positive attitude...

Why have I not done this yet????

I was pondering Monterrey as a base, but then violence kind of scared off my friends who were also going to participate.
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
I was going to store my bike with some kind of stabilizer in it. The gas in Canada does not seem to bad for a few months but have heard many stories about the "new " gas state side. Might have been better to store it empty? When I got to Vegas it was at the start of a vicious storm and flooding. One I would not have believed had I not been there so did not want to stop anywhere for supplies. I'll plan ahead a bit more next time. Water was over my boots in spots riding some roads. Did not know exactly where the house was that the bike was to be stored at and the people were not at home. Part of the adventure!
Definently recommend RSFR to any one. Like the idea of a cheap bike in Mexico as well. A pretty cheap buzz for sure. I paid $800 for my FJ1100 so if it shows up on an episode of Storage Wars it won't be the end of the world! hehe.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I've been thinking about doing "The Big Tour" when I retire or semi-retire in a couple years and like the idea of doing it in segments. This gives me plenty of time to explore, hike, visit old frinds, fly fish and visit strip clubs along the way (ok, just wanted to see who's paying attention ).

As I've already got a ton of gear I would just leave most of it with the bike and bring home my dirty laundry and the electronic stuff. My first blush at a plan is:

First Leg

Work from Vermont along the US Canadian border. End up in BC where I have a friend where I can store my bike. This seems like a good central location or some lengthy western rides. Miles 3000+, time 21 days or so.

Get a round trip ticket home.

Second Leg

Vancouver Island and ride North to Alaska, possibly taking a ferry along the coast. Spend a week or so in Alaska then ride south through the Yukon and over into the Northwest Terriorty. Motor south to friend's place. Miles 5000+, time approximately 2 months.

Get a round Trip ticket home.

Third Leg

Head south through Idaho, Utah, and northern Az. Work back east via NM, TX, and AR. Arrive in Memphis for our annual Blues Awards party. Ride home through the mountains in Va and WV. Miles 4000, time 1 month.

Will be glad to read thoughts and suggestions.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
I've been doing an "RSFR" trip since December 2011. It was the only way I could do it at this stage in my life when I have too many responsibilities at home to be able to get away for more than about two weeks at a time. I've never been one to put things off until "retirement" either.

The "RSFR" plan requires a little more planning and of course having friends with places to store my bike in many countries helps. For me it has worked very well, and has been easier than I thought. I would encourage anyone who can't be gone for long periods of time to do it.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
I've been doing an "RSFR" trip since December 2011. It was the only way I could do it at this stage in my life when I have too many responsibilities at home to be able to get away for more than about two weeks at a time. I've never been one to put things off until "retirement" either.

The "RSFR" plan requires a little more planning and of course having friends with places to store my bike in many countries helps. For me it has worked very well, and has been easier than I thought. I would encourage anyone who can't be gone for long periods of time to do it.
FWIW I travel extensively in my current position and try to take full advantage to see and do as much as possible while i am out there. Given the nature of corporate travel I need to be flexible and opportunistic which wouldn't work for a RSFR arrangement.

Anyhow, where have you been so far? Any draw backs or planning considerations other than the obvious?
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #21
CapnFish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Been doing R S F R most of this year, and it has worked out just great.

Pay a lot of attention to the storage facility security, I got cleaned out in Salt Lake City, did not pay attention. Take pictures of storage, do your homework on reviews, take out insurance.

Here is a blog of this years travels;

capnfish.blogspot.com

CapnFish screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 05:53 AM
CapnFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnFish View Post

Pay a lot of attention to the storage facility security, I got cleaned out in Salt Lake City, did not pay attention. Take pictures of storage, do your homework on reviews, take out insurance.

capnfish.blogspot.com
I had been wondering how much of a concern thievery would be. I will have to have a look at your blog.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #23
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnFish View Post

capnfish.blogspot.com

had hoped this wouldn't happen

was it a "storage unit" fence camera's & all that?

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues View Post
FWIW I travel extensively in my current position and try to take full advantage to see and do as much as possible while i am out there. Given the nature of corporate travel I need to be flexible and opportunistic which wouldn't work for a RSFR arrangement.

Anyhow, where have you been so far? Any draw backs or planning considerations other than the obvious?
My ongoing RSFR trip has been from Chicago through Mexico, Central America, Colombia, and Ecuador. Next month I will be departing Cuenca for Cuzco, Peru, or perhaps to Mendoza, Argentina if time permits. The master plan is to get down, in stages, to Santiago for the Dakar finish in January, and then down to Ushuaia and back home by May 2013. Then blast to Alaska and back, and try to ship the bike to Europe so I can do some moto exploration during a planed family trip over the summer.

No drawbacks other than the sometimes high cost of multi-city flights, although I have been able to use miles quite frequently. It does take some careful planning, but so far I have not grossly over- or underestimated travel times on any of my segments. As you know, it's quite expensive to change flight dates at the last minute.

As far as the unpredictability of corporate travel, you might not be able to do a full-on RSFR trip, but I'll bet if time permits you could arrange some pretty nice day or multi-day trips around your travel destinations using rental bikes. You would just have to pack a briefcase AND riding gear.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #25
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
I live in Moscow and have kept a bike in Europe since 2008; first with Knopf in Heidelberg, then with someone in Southern Spain, now in Milan Italy. I has been great, and I've been able to take some great trips, including a couple weeks in Morocco from southern Spain. The plan is to get to Istanbul at some point but I've been in Milan a couple of years now and might keep it there for a while, as there is so much good riding (and good living) around there. I try to get to Italy between 2-4 times a year for at least a couple days of riding each time.

I keep all of my gear in my panniers and a thin black duffle which gets folded up and stuffed in a pannier while traveling. When I go the bike all I bring on the plane is a smallish backpack with some Tshirts, my iPad, camera, etc.

I don't do anything with fuel, as I generall ride it at least every 4 months or so, and there has been problem with fuel so far (other than the fact that it costs 2 euro per liter in Italy ).

One of the reasons I like storing it in Milan is that the flight schedule is very convenient from Moscow, and even better, the guy I store it with will leave it at the airport parking for me to pick up, and then I can drop it off at the airport lot when I leave--it is super-convenient.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
This is my plan someday. Hoping to start sometime in the next 2-3years. Subscribed

Seems like there are probably enough inmates that would offer storage around the country. Around the world is a little more of a stretch.. I know I'd be happy to store someones bike, on a charger, for a period of time....
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #27
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
One key question for people that want to do this is how/if you can keep your rego up to date. For inhabitants of some states, you can simply pay a fee, but in some other states they make you have a physical inspection of the bike to renew, which can be difficult if you keep your bike overseas.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #28
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
Hi PWRCRZR - Nice meeting you and the others over the weekend. I do something a little similar, but not quite.

2011 I bought a Yam WR250R used and shipped it to Salt Lake City. It sat in a warehouse for a week. I flew in, met a budddy and we rode the CDR from Salt Lake. We split at the south end of the CDR and I rode to Phoenix and left it at a friend's house.

In Feb, I flew back out and scouted some of the GWT within 200 miles radius to see if it was big bike friendly. Some of it wasn't.

Last month I flew back and rode north to pick up the Pony Express Trail and rode it to Ely NV. Then to Reno and south through Vegas to Phoenix.

I have been coast/coast many times so my purpose is to explore the great west. My next trip will be Dinosaur National Park to Salt Lake, via Flaming Gorge. It will be mostly dirt roads I have tracks for.

I like your idea for 10 day rides from place to place, but it seems a lot easier if you can find a home base to store the bike and do 10 day loops from there. Pick a place that is cheap to fly to like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver and the like.

I ended up duplicating my gear and leaving everything with the bike. Helmet, boots, luggage, dry bags, tent etc.

Basically I fill a carry-on duffel with clothes and such and get on the plane. I didn't even take a laptop the last time, using only my smart phone.

Maintenance is a bit of an issue. I end up having a local tuner service the bike and do the rest (tires, chainsets, repairs) myself. My bike has the tools to do that stuff, and if not, I buy it there.

From Denver you could cover the whole country west of the Mississippi to the Cali/OR border at 300 miles/day doing 10 day loops. From Salt Lake/Las Vegas you could cover Colorado to the left coast easy.

Lots to see out there. Spectacular riding, even in weather.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,576
Missoula, MT has a small storage area almost exactly 1 mile from the front door of the airport. It's around $50 per month for a small unit. You pull in, drape your wet tent over the bike, pack a small carry on bag with all your dirty laundry, and start hoofing. 20 minutes later, you walk in the front door of the airport.

I would opt for the smaller airports for this kind of operation. If you use the bigger airports, pick a spot further away from the airport and take a cab.

The battery voltage was almost unchanged after 5 weeks on my AGM battery. The bike fired right up, I packed up the now dry tent, and was on the road in 30 minutes.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #30
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Hi PWRCRZR - Nice meeting you and the others over the weekend. I do something a little similar, but not quite.

2011 I bought a Yam WR250R used and shipped it to Salt Lake City. It sat in a warehouse for a week. I flew in, met a budddy and we rode the CDR from Salt Lake. We split at the south end of the CDR and I rode to Phoenix and left it at a friend's house.

In Feb, I flew back out and scouted some of the GWT within 200 miles radius to see if it was big bike friendly. Some of it wasn't.

Last month I flew back and rode north to pick up the Pony Express Trail and rode it to Ely NV. Then to Reno and south through Vegas to Phoenix.

I have been coast/coast many times so my purpose is to explore the great west. My next trip will be Dinosaur National Park to Salt Lake, via Flaming Gorge. It will be mostly dirt roads I have tracks for.

I like your idea for 10 day rides from place to place, but it seems a lot easier if you can find a home base to store the bike and do 10 day loops from there. Pick a place that is cheap to fly to like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver and the like.

I ended up duplicating my gear and leaving everything with the bike. Helmet, boots, luggage, dry bags, tent etc.

Basically I fill a carry-on duffel with clothes and such and get on the plane. I didn't even take a laptop the last time, using only my smart phone.

Maintenance is a bit of an issue. I end up having a local tuner service the bike and do the rest (tires, chainsets, repairs) myself. My bike has the tools to do that stuff, and if not, I buy it there.

From Denver you could cover the whole country west of the Mississippi to the Cali/OR border at 300 miles/day doing 10 day loops. From Salt Lake/Las Vegas you could cover Colorado to the left coast easy.

Lots to see out there. Spectacular riding, even in weather.
Starting to get some good input here, just what I was looking for.

Once my wife and I start this trip we figure there may be times that we stay in one area as you describe. I am thinking once the bike is on the west coast it will stay there..but who knows right now this is all just a theory for me.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote