Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
If you're going to be in the area at least do the BRP section between Cherokee and Asheville. To me that is the most scenic section of the entire parkway.
I believe the speed limit is 45 except for a section or two that is slower and the Skyline Dr. section is slower.

The times I've ridden it I have kept my speed below 55, have met several LEO's while running over the limit, and have yet to be stopped. (knock on wood)

As the poster above suggest, almost all side roads off the BRP are fun, fun, fun.
I agree with the above. If a ranger sees you pass a car on double yellow's, in MOST cases stand by for a HEFTY ticket. As far as 226A goes, those switchbacks are spelled F U N.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoman View Post
I just did 400 miles on the BRP this past Labor Day Weekend- had a blast! 45 MPH? I don't wish to start a debate about speeding here but I had NO problems riding a "spirited" ride. I chilled out when it was appropriate and waited for an opening to pass cars that were only doing 45MPH. No problems and really not that much traffic. I saw two Park Rangers waiting to hand out performance awards but both times at a major intersection. I really enjoy the non stop twisties. I say "go for it".
I live just 20 miles from the BRP at MM45 and ride it all the time. Even though the posted speed limit is 45, I don't think I've ever actually ridden at that speed unless the tighter curves warranted it. Two weeks ago my wife and I rode from here to Boone, NC almost entirely on the Parkway and I would estimate that it was actually faster than taking the secondary roads all the way because you never have to stop! We ride a lot of secondary roads in Virginia and while the speed limit is higher (typically 55) you can never, ever average that speed because of the vast number of small towns, stoplights, traffic, intersections, etc. I love riding the BRP because there are ZERO stop signs, no tractor-trailer rigs or other commercial vehicles, and limited cross-roads/driveways and such. You can just RIDE and not deal with all that. I have never felt the traffic was heavy enough to be a problem. I lived in Wyoming for years and rode Grand Teton and Yellowstone a lot; now those parks have traffic issues. I often ride the BRP from Roanoke (where my office is located) to Lexington on a weekday afternoon and in all that time/distance I might see ten cars and thirty bikes.

We had a glorious, peaceful ride to Boone a couple weeks ago, then got off the BRP at Boone and were instantly in traffic HELL. The transition was remarkable, all in the space of an off-ramp. I highly recommend the BRP. I've ridden many many miles at a spirited pace and never come close to exciting the Rangers. You just have to "chill out when it's appropriate" and you'll be fine.

Doug
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
I just finished the trip you're doing last month. A little bit of advice for ya. I started the run north just outside Atlanta like you will.

Get the cheapest BRP guide from the first info booth you hit. In it is the fueling stop locations based on the mile markers along side the road. Tear out that page and keep it handy. There are no fuel stop signs anywhere . I almost ran out of fuel because I didn't know how the system worked.
I'm perplexed as to what the heck you're talking about
Fuel stops?
There isn't any gas for sale on the parkway anymore (used to be @ Pisgah and Crabtree Falls, but pumps are gone now)
You have to get off and run down the hill to gas up

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
Oh yeah
Tickets from Rangers are FEDERAL
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
I'm perplexed as to what the heck you're talking about
Fuel stops?
There isn't any gas for sale on the parkway anymore (used to be @ Pisgah and Crabtree Falls, but pumps are gone now)
You have to get off and run down the hill to gas up

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
Ok, an explanation. Yes there are no fuel stops directly on the Parkway. Ya hafta get off. Trouble is, one does not know how far off the parkway it is to the fuel stop. There is no sign on the Parkway that says" Fuel stop is 2 miles off the road.. One turn off I took said 15 miles to the town. On an empty tank???Screw that!!

With the Guide it tells you where to turn for gas by the mileage marker. Those stations are right by the turnoff. Saves having to turn off and return beacuse the town is too far.

OK?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #21
Harring10 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Ok, an explanation. Yes there are no fuel stops directly on the Parkway. Ya hafta get off. Trouble is, one does not know how far off the parkway it is to the fuel stop. There is no sign on the Parkway that says" Fuel stop is 2 miles off the road.. One turn off I took said 15 miles to the town. On an empty tank???Screw that!!

With the Guide it tells you where to turn for gas by the mileage marker. Those stations are right by the turnoff. Saves having to turn off and return beacuse the town is too far.

OK?
Any chance someone has a link to the guide? Hate to have to stop at random stores looking for one.
2012 Ducati Multistrada S Touring - Red
2000 RSV Mille R
Harring10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #22
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harring10 View Post
Any chance someone has a link to the guide? Hate to have to stop at random stores looking for one.
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=50
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Harring10 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
EXCELLENT!! Thanks a bunch!
2012 Ducati Multistrada S Touring - Red
2000 RSV Mille R
Harring10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harring10 View Post
Hey GS(A) owners,

....I've put together 3 seperate 300 mi day rides,,,,,,,
Those are going to be about 10 hour days if on the BRP and similar roads! Kinda a long day for some of us old folks.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Those are going to be about 10 hour days if on the BRP and similar roads! Kinda a long day for some of us old folks.
Did an end to end last year....great...even in the rain. Took 3 days, but we didn't stop a lot.

Caged up that way last week, stayed at the Big Lyn Lodge in Little Switzerland. Highly recommend. Breakfast and dinner included...bike friendly, quiet with great views. Right off the parkway on 226.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
FWIW I am in the middle of a trip report of the BRP now... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826922 . I have done the pkwy dozens of times and have learned a few lessons. The speed limit is 45 for the vast majority of the pkwy ... I run it a reasonable amount over on the straights and apply reasonable acceleration thru the curves ... the most I've ever gotten from a Ranger is a hand motion to bring it down a little.

I ride during the week and do not ride during leaf peepers season and rarely encounter much traffic except near cities. When traffic is light frequently slower traffic will pull over at an overlook to courteously let me by. If they don't... I most often just wait for a passing zone...or pull over for a few minutes at an overlook myself. There are places you can safely pass on the double yellow ...BUT if you get caught just like anywhere else...you will get a ticket.

Stop at a campground or Ranger station and get a parkway map....they are a long stripmap kinda thing...and it will make hour to hour planning much easier. It shows all the facilities with milemarkers and make fuel stops, lunch stops etc a snap.

The one note of caution that catches even some experienced riders out are the blind turns...some of which are severely limited in sight distance. These are especially prevalent between Cherokee and Asheville...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
Oh yeah
Tickets from Rangers are FEDERAL
They take Visa for those just like any others! Freaked me out the first time when I had to give SS#. I received no points for either of the 2 Federal performance awards
05-GS- Rock Red 90k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #28
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Maggie Valley area of NC is promoting itself as a destination for motorcycle riders. They have mapped out several suggested scenic rides and posted a pdf brochure on their website, worth checking out since you'll be in the area.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Backdoor Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I just rode the BRP from Cherokee to Mt. Mitchell last Thurs 09/20. I got on the parkway at about 10am and it was like my own personal highway. I might have seen 20 cars if you count both directions for most of the way over to I-26 but traffic was never an issue, even near Asheville. And the cars either used the pulloffs or I was able to make my way past without causing any trouble. It was awesome riding non-stop like that -- I just kept thinking man this is what it's all about. There's several thousand pics that should have been taken but I honestly couldn't make myself stop.

I kept a comfortable but brisk pace. I saw one copper all day, a ranger -- he was sitting at the entrance to Mt. Mitchell when I came down, but hadn't been there earlier. He and I nodded at each other and that was that, away I went.

Some of the road has fresh pavement, and some parts there's grass growing up through cracks in the road. Not really an issue for me but now you know.

ps I can't believe those psychos that ride bicycles around up there. This Florida boy says no way!
03 Suzuki DR650 ES
Backdoor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Warning, don't do the Dragon on a weekend or holiday. Plus you are more likely to get a ticket there than the BRP. The Cherohala Skyway is very nice also and rivals the BRP for a scenic ride...just shorter (no tunnels either). Stop in The Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley if you get a chance. Check their days of operation, on there web site, to be sure your timing will work.