User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Sputnik Parts

Anyone know where I can find Sputnik sidecar parts? Looking for a new windshield and a new trunk lock. Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,206
I would contact Gustaffson in Florida about the windshield, I've seen a few references that he does hack shields. Many years ago I had a Glaser fairing for my R90S that needed a shield. When I called him he said that there were 3 models of that fairing and gave me the measurements off the top of his head so I could figure out which one I needed.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I would contact Gustaffson in Florida about the windshield, I've seen a few references that he does hack shields. Many years ago I had a Glaser fairing for my R90S that needed a shield. When I called him he said that there were 3 models of that fairing and gave me the measurements off the top of his head so I could figure out which one I needed.
+1 on Gustaffson. Bought my Jupiter windscreen there. They offer 12" and 18" screens and various shades....$150.00 a couple years ago for a smoked 18".
I think the Sputnik and Jupiter share a lot of basic (non bodywork) parts.....Jupiter parts are near impossible to find in the states from my experience.

I was missing a Jupiter chrome corner trim piece and spent years attempting to locate one....
Inmate "Doug" (Dick'in around in Dougs Garage) sent me one from his Jupiter sidecar boneyard in E. Europe. (Thanks again Doug !) ....he uses old Jupiter chairs as flower pots I think?....or maybe they were barracades for his paintball course?....

I'd like to buy a Sputnik chair but have never found one within a reasonable distance. The sidecar guy in Washington used to list Sputnik / Jupiter parts but never had anything when I called to check on availability.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 11:59 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for your help guys! The windshield I have on it now is very flimsy and my wife would want a windshield.

Any links to where I could get a cover or is this something I would have to make?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bby69 View Post
Thanks for your help guys! The windshield I have on it now is very flimsy and my wife would want a windshield.

Any links to where I could get a cover or is this something I would have to make?

I would think it would be easy to make one. Mine is just a piece of vinyl. I can do an outline on paper and mail it to you or drop mine at a local upholstery shop and let them copy it for you. We would probably need to trade some pics of attachment points etc to make sure it will work.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'd appreciate it. I figure I'd give it a shot making one. Do you mind taking some pics of how its mounted especially the front.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,932
There is a metal strap at the front that binds the cover.

It is basically a piece of strap steel folded over a bolt with the edges ground off and then spot welded.

The cover has a small hole with a leather patch sewn on that snaps over a button on the side of the car.

Here is the gallery with more pictures.

http://janclay.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...6679&k=qJwS2xB

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

That explains how the front stays on. I guess I need to look for/make a strap.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
That explains how the front stays on. I guess I need to look for/make a strap.

Mine was missing the strap. I drilled the windscreen and used plastic washers / lock nuts to tie it on. Doesn't look as clean as the original strap system but it worked. I tried to find an original strap but had no luck.

ABC# 1992
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
Mine was missing the strap. I drilled the windscreen and used plastic washers / lock nuts to tie it on. Doesn't look as clean as the original strap system but it worked. I tried to find an original strap but had no luck.

Beautiful Hack!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 528
Armrests

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post

I have a Sputnik and am interested in the armrests you've got there. Looks like they're sorta integrated with some little sidebags or utility pouches or whatever you want to call them. Neat! Any additional photos or details you can give on how you did your armrests? Am looking to put some permanent nice quality armrests on my Sputnik over the winter so am all ears for ideas! Thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

The sidecar was a sun burnt crusty old soul when I found it....A PO had added tiny little storage pouches below the armrests.

When I had the upholstery redone I had the pouches made larger as for maps etc......could have made them a little larger. My wife stuffs all kinds of things in them.
The armrests cores are blocks of wood with padding under the upholstery. I had some spare "Ultra Leather" material which was from my motorhome so did the entire interior with it.
Those are the stock armrest end caps....nearly lost one once...would probably be impossible to find another in the US. I ran all kinds of ads looking for "Jupiter" parts. Never had one reply.

The interior panels were missing so I bought some light weight reinforced card board material from a hobby shop to protect the pouches from the hood slider rods .

The rods slide in behind the panels.

I bought a roll of cheapo trunk carpeting from JC Whitney. One roll was enough to cover two sidecar floors. The carpet is really thin so molds good in the corners.

The hood slider "grab" grips were missing so I ordered a pair of tricycle grips from a bicycle shop.

All in all, I'm a "scrounger...lol

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:39 PM
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
I'd appreciate it. I figure I'd give it a shot making one. Do you mind taking some pics of how its mounted especially the front.

My first one was an experiment with (too light) light plexi.....was a little flimsy....and snow / ice liked to stick to it.
One of my wifes' more miserable days....this photo was taken after we'd shed a lot of the stuff....nothing like wet Labor Day snow in Montana.

ABC# 1992
Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
As we imported a few thousand of these sidecars we still have a very limited supply of spare parts. Both the windsheilds and trunk locks we have been out of for years. As it has been pointed out you can get the shield from www.bikescreen.com this windshield is a lot better then the Russian one. The trunk lock you can go with a garage door type handle that can be purchased from most any hardware store. You do not want the "T" handle type as it will tear the back of the seat, you want the one with a single handle on it. It will not fit right onto the stock studs for the stock lock however it will be close enough that a little file work and it will go on just fine.
We have one front body upper panel in stock. One rubber trim strip that goes all the way around the body. Lots of windshield gaskets, brake cables, shoes and other brake hardware and very little else. Of course we can still supply mounting hardware as we build this in house.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote