Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #106
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I just bought a roll of superbright black to white tape and put on the Burgman similar to the Burgman with the superbright reflective pinstriping on the Streetglo site http://www.streetglo.net/reflective....frame.kit.html This one has gold but I chose black to superbrite but there are quite a few color choices.

The example above uses the speedstrips kit http://www.streetglo.net/streetglo_f...lame.decal.htm but I went simpler with just pinstripes.

cdwise screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:22 PM Reason: added link
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #107
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
HMM, the difficulty I see with this type is the black color will not look so good on my Stone Pearl Grey 2012 Burgman.

Perhaps if it were clear to black ???
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #108
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

It goes from color to bright reflective when lights hit it. Have you looked at the color choices available? I doubt that clear to reflective is available anywhere but there are quite a few other color choices besides black.I use black to superbright white.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #109
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Hey Doug, with regard to engine rpm at high speed, I really wouldn't worry much. On my recent Oregon-Washington tour on the SWing, I was running 65-75 pretty consistently, with occasional bursts to 90 or so (passing trucks, for example). 75 mph gave about 6200 rpm, with another 2500 rpm headspace to redline. The SWing will do this all day every day...that motor is made to rev, it doesn't hurt it all and it doesn't feel strained. Engine longevity, with the SWing at least, is not a problem even at high rpms, because the engine is designed and built for that kind of use and there are many folks over on the SWing websites reporting bike mileages at 50-100K without any significant issues. I suspect that the Burgman 650's engine is very similar in that regard.

On the BV, it runs down the freeway at 70-75 and doesn't even feel like it's breathing hard. It's not fitted with a tach, but one is not needed, in my opinion...I found that pretty surprising, because I owned a conventional single cylinder motorcycle (Suzuki S40...650cc thumper) which was all out of breath at 75 indicated and I really couldn't get much more out of it. I wasn't really expecting the BV thumper to be so composed.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #110
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

The BV went in for its first service on Saturday. The service went well.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that somewhere along the line, I discovered when I first brought the bike home that the right rear turn signal stalk was cracked. Ordering a new one was a bit of a pain because it took a month to get the part from Piaggio. The turn signal assembly finally came in and was installed on the bike during the service.

Rode the bike home after picking it up and discovered...the new right rear turn signal was CRACKED AGAIN!!! I did not recall any time at which I crunched the turn signal into anything in the garage and began to suspect that there was some vibration that was stressing the part to the point of failure. Did an inquiry over on the Vespa website and no one over there had had similar issues. I went to the dealer and the mechanic confirmed that he installed the new turn signal...so...only one logical conclusion can be drawn and that is that whether or not I felt or heard it, I apparently am crunching the turn signal on something when I'm backing the bike into the garage. Not a build, design or quality deficiency...apparently, operator error is in progress...

In a way, it's kind of a relief, because I love, love, love the BV...I like the way it handles, I like that nice thumper motor humming away down there and I like that the bike can do pretty much what I ask it to do...as I've mentioned before, I view the SWing as the pack mule and the BV as the fun ride (the SWing is fun, too, but not as much)...
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #111
hydawaydoc
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I think you need to get used to the turn signal problem. The right one on my BV 500 snapped off with less than 2000 mi. on the bike. No known reason. Taped it on and for a variety of reasons did not replace it for a year. One week after replacing it the same thing happened to the left one. For what it's worth, the first one broke while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. While we were repairing it another group of riders stopped to help. One of the group commented that you better get used to this as it as it was a common problem. I think I'll make do with the tape job instead replacing it.
hydawaydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #112
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Interesting. So maybe it is a design deficiency of some kind.

This time, the stalk broke in such a way that it can't be taped. Last time, I taped it, but the tape kept slipping, so not real successful.

That little problem is annoying.

Oh, one other thing...slight edit to a post above regarding the SWing at freeway speeds. Checked it again a few weeks ago on a ride and was reminded that 75mph gives 5500 rpm, not 6200 as reported above.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #113
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

FWIW, these are the only two posts I've seen about broken stalks on the BV 350. You'd think as many folks over on Modern Vespa who have been riding BV 350s there's be more mention of it if it is such a "known issue".
Old 10-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #114
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

I see your point, CD, and, in fact, your point was echoed by the parts guy at AF1 Racing in Texas...

that said...I'm still troubled by how both turn signals broke. I can't account for it...I don't remember doing anything which would have caused the turn signal to contact or brush up against anything...a lot of bikes have resided in my garage, including several which had their turn signals on stalks (BMW R1100R, Suzuki S40, Kawasaki Vulcan 750)...none suffered broken turn signal stalks.

I'm having the turn signal replaced again at the dealer, as well as the speedometer, which proved to be way out of calibration...and I'll carefully monitor what's going on from the time I pick the bike up until I return home...we'll see what's going on here...

Again, I love the bike, but I'm not going to pull any punches regarding problems, whether caused by my actions or by a design or build deficiency. I committed to that when I started the thread and that's what I'll continue to do. I've done the same with the SWing...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #115
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

I have no problem with you reporting any issue you have experienced. My comment was more directed at the "known issue" since two reports don't to me indicate a model wide issue. If it really was a model defect then I would expect Piaggio to do a recall and replacement like they did with the fuel pump issue.

FWIW, we have 2 BV 500. Both had an initial problem taken care of under warrant. On my BV it was the speedometer. It went from being within the normal bike error to being as much as 20-30mph off and the low fuel light quit working. Piaggio replaced the entire speedometer which took about 3 weeks to come in (August when the dealer diagnosed the problem.) So if the problem with the mirror stems is a Piaggio issue, even if it is just a single batch (VIN number indicates probably same shipment of lights for example) it is something for Piaggo to address.

My husband's BV 500 had the exhaust fail on a trip which not only made it sound more like a Harley it also reduced the mileage to that of a Harley as well (resulted in running out of gas 2 miles short of the next gas station in West Texas, grrr). There was significant back pressure in the fuel tank as well. Exhaust was replaced under warranty and the back pressure resolved by the dealer removing the evap canister.

I've never found another BV 500 owner with the exhaust issue but there are complaints about the speedo & fuel lights. Not enough to call it a systematic issue with the scoot. My GTS on the other hand has never had any sort of issue nor has the Sports City or Scarabeo. I did have an issue with my 2007 Scarabeo but I'm pretty sure it was caused by the previous owner's modifications.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #116
Mrnoital
Banned

Oddometer: 8
I owned a 2004 Silverwing, I bought it with 800 miles on it. I only put about 400 -500 miles on it before I sold it. Needless to say it was not my favorite bike I owned. I thought it vibrated a lot when taking off.. I belonged to a Swing forum at the time and found out that many people complain about the vibration. I even read a professional review comparing the Swing with the big Burgman and they commented on the vibration of the Swing. I also owned a Yamaha Morphous at the time which was super smooth,, The Silver Wing seemed a bit like a truck by comparison, however I wouldn't be surprised if I tried another and liked it. Life is strange like that.
Mrnoital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #117
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

So the latest on the BV is that I took it back to the dealer so they could replace the defective speedometer and the cracked right rear turn signal (AGAIN). Dropped the bike off a week ago last Friday. Last Tuesday or so, I got a call that the bike was ready to be picked up, but I couldn't get to it until Friday, so they agreed to hold it until then.

A day or two later, the service guy called again and said that the new speedo was now acting up and they didn't know what was wrong. He said they would look things over and get back to me.

Last Saturday, I went to the dealer and spoke briefly with the service guy, who was busy doing something else. He said that they did not order another speedometer, because that did not appear to be the problem; instead, they're now checking the bike's wiring to see if there is a short somewhere.

I expressed concern that these problems were occurring on a brand new bike. The service guy said he'd call when they had a chance to look it over.

So there you go. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to invoke the Lemon Law....really quite annoyed with the BV and with Piaggio right now...

gumshoe4 screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 01:51 PM
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #118
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

I picked up the BV from the shop today. Looks like they got the speedometer problem sorted. Apparently, the factory failed to install a part on the back of the device which has something to do with the speedo drive, so the unit was not operating correctly. A sharp-eyed mech figured this out and all is well, at least for now...

ALSO, they put on the (now) THIRD right rear turn signal and I got it home in one piece...shot photos at the shop and at home so I can track what's going on here.

Was reminded on the way home how much I LOVE the handling of this bike...so much better than the SWing...now if I can just keep it running and happy and no parts falling off or going screwy...

I think I need to get a shop manual...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #119
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,560
The SW's handling must suck big time then, since the BV500 is one of the
worst handling scoots that I tried, and I tried a lot of them.

Probably has something to do with the fact that every one I tried had a lot
of miles on it and the suspension needed some work, but that happens on
all of them.

Wonder if you tried the new 300 or 350, THAT's the first BV that handles
like all of them should. Or a People 300GTi. No comparison.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #120
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

One person's handles like a pig is another's delight. Prime example is I far prefer how a BV 500 handles to a Burgman 400 but the Burgman is one of the most popular scoots on this forum.