sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #62
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Which bike?
07 450exc. probably still going to do the DC conversion, but options are always good.

i have the older (square headlight) mask.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #63
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
07 450exc. probably still going to do the DC conversion, but options are always good.

i have the older (square headlight) mask.
Not many options with an AC led light. Currently running the model 30 on a 99 300 MXC with stock stator and electrics. Soon to be released.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #64
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
sanjoh,

what is going to give the best spot seetup with a ktm mask? I want bright and I want distance...

going on my 525 wit ha trailtech stator in it. need to order asap as i need one for a ride saturday.
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #65
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorocks View Post
sanjoh,

what is going to give the best spot seetup with a ktm mask? I want bright and I want distance...

going on my 525 wit ha trailtech stator in it. need to order asap as i need one for a ride saturday.
Model 60 will provide the most distance and very bright.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #66
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Just installed on a husky 610 w/ the model 60 light. What an improvement
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #67
shootis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Thanks for a great product, I just hooked up my model 60 light to my TE610 and what a difference!

Now I can actually see more than 20 feet ahead, the stock headlight is scary at anything faster than a walking pace.

I haven't gone for a ride but shining it down the driveway I'm surprised that I didn't catch anything on fire:-)
shootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #68
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
It will fit your 2012 500 exc mask.
Anyone have a pic of the 08-12 KTM kit installed in mask and mounted to bike?

Either I am as dumb as my wife thinks I am or this kit was not test fitted to this bike. The plate bolted up to the mask like in the pic. But I had to hack off the bottom arrow/design at 6 o'clock on the kit's mounting plate and still had to cut the plate across the bottom before I could get the mask to drop back onto the fender pins.

It was then that I noticed that the mask lays back about 30 degrees, parallel with the fork legs when mounted. A check of the OEM headlight assembly and I saw that while the front of the assembly also mounts flush/parallel with the front of the mask, the internal reflector/bulb mount is canted about 30 degrees forward, to bring beam back parallel with ground. of course

After much hacking on the plate and time spent R&Ring the assembly between cutting I could see that the top of the plate (and the lighthead) would have to stick out past the front of the mask before I got the beam anywhere near level. I had to end up moving the bottom bracket (that attaches to the oem height adjuster tab on bottom/back of mask) from the back of the plate to the FRONT of the plate, which kicked the bottom of the plate back about an inch. Install looks like crap with gaps all around the hacked up plate and bracket sticking out in front, but I got the beam off my garage ceiling.

I'm guessing the kit was designed with a mask on a bench and not test fitted on a bike. But I could be wrong and just inept.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #69
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I'm guessing the kit was designed with a mask on a bench and not test fitted on a bike. But I could be wrong

Send me your mask and the kit and I'll install it for you. Or I can offer a refund for the uncut bits.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #70
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:

Send me your mask and the kit and I'll install it for you. Or I can offer a refund for the uncut bits.
Thanks, but the cost to ship my bike would be a bit much. (kit fit mask just like in pic, no problem there)

I'll hold out for a simple pic of the mask installed on an 08-12 bike showing the light beam level and then I'll know what I did wrong.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #71
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,219
Sorry it took so long to post up my mod for my KLX450R, but here how I used the Model 60, the bracket & controller-

Quote:
To say that the stock 35 watt, AC powered headlight on the KLX450R is lacking is a huge understatement.

Once the bike is plated the stock headlight is no more that a headlight in the legal sense and has no practical output at night.

So I decided to upgrade the stock headlight mask with an LED light that I bought from the Vendors section, ADV Monster-

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821159

Light specs -

• Wide Beam
  • 3600 lumens
  • Cree XM-L T6 LEDs
  • 2.4 amps (28 watts) @12v
  • aluminum housing
  • Length: 70mm , Diameter 55mm
  • Black durable coating
  • o-ring sealed housing
  • one meter wire lead
  • includes flat mount mounting option - (stainless)
  • shatter resistant lens

I bought the light, variable output controller, and light holder (to be fitted to my own mask mount).

After analyzing the electrical system on the KLX450R, I found a switched 12v circuit that I would use to control the headlight through a 12v relay. That way the headlight would only run when the engine was running.

I would control the headlight by using a headlight switch that I bought from Paul at Highway Dirt Bikes - http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...w736d3j8c05cf2

I did have to move the electrical wiring inside the switch in order for it to properly control the Variable light controller from ADV Monster-

The ADV Monster light controller has one output that is switched between full 12 volts and the variable output. The controller allows you to use the full 12v as high beam and the the reduced setting as low beam. The controller uses a seperate 12v line to know when to go to full 12v, and the High position of the switch provides that.

Here is the stock headlight mask with the stock bulb-

With the light bulb removed I found that the Model 60 LED light from ADV Monster would be a good fit in the mask-

So I opened up the mask with a hot knife -

Then I needed to create a flat plate that I could mount the light to. Cardboard first-

Then I made a hole for the LED Model 60-

I mounted the light bracket from ADV Monster to the plate & checked the assemble for fit-

I then used some "Great Stuff" expanding foam to attach the mount to the mask- weighted it down with some big sockets. I did this in small stages so that I did not get any foam on the Model 60 light itself- I wanted to be able to remove it if necessary-

After the foam was dry I trimmed off the excess and then drilled 4 ventilation holes through the foam & the mask - you can see the holes in the 4 corners of the reflector-

Here it is mounted on the KLX450R-

In test rides I have found the light to be a huge improvement over stock, and more than adequate for street or trail riding.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #72
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 199
Model 60 application list?

Hey Sanjo, is there an (updated) application list available for all the bikes a model 60 will fit? How about the '07 WR450? I'll check on whether it's ac or dc later (unless it no longer matters). And if it will work with the WR, does it need a rectifier and/or stator upgrade/mod/rewind?

Thanks!

'81 KZ1000 (resting in pieces)
'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #73
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiawassee View Post
Hey Sanjo, is there an (updated) application list available for all the bikes a model 60 will fit? How about the '07 WR450? I'll check on whether it's ac or dc later (unless it no longer matters). And if it will work with the WR, does it need a rectifier and/or stator upgrade/mod/rewind?

Thanks!
THE question is AC or DC headlight. If you have AC, it easy enough to run a DC circuit to the battery(IIRC the WR is estart).

No stator upgrade needed as the stock light usually pulls more juice.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #74
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Quote:
THE question is AC or DC headlight. If you have AC, it easy enough to run a DC circuit to the battery(IIRC the WR is estart).

No stator upgrade needed as the stock light usually pulls more juice.

Looks like it's AC. I assume instructions come with the light for running a DC circuit? Thought I read that earlier in the thread somewhere.

'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #75
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Hey Hondo, nice work on that light mount. I really like the way you set that up in the stock mask. The foam insulation is a nice touch. Is that a necessity? Maybe to provide better protection from the elements? Better shock/impact resistance? Or more of personal preference simply for the sake of thoroughness?

After watching the video of the Model 60 on the advmonster.com page (gnarly ride at Angry River), I'm impressed. Can't tell if that setup has any additional support for the light like the foam you're using, but seems to hold up well in the rough stuff.

'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F