ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #5281
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,084
I just noticed that JaVaWa was updated to version 1.9 on Sept 24. That would be worth checking out.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #5282
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The maps can be on either the SD card or the gps. Makes no real difference especially once they've been read by the unit and cached. When I last used MapInstall it put all the maps on my SD card by itself.

The advantage to this is that you can back up the SD card and have a spare with all your maps handy, in case your maps get corrupted. I keep a complete spare 16 gigabyte card in my battery compartment, taped to the battery.

BaseCamp is "supposed" to see the maps but often it needs a little help to do so. If you can't see the maps, get JaVaWa Device Manager to help you make them visible.
Nice explanation Emmbeedee.

BaseCamp does expect it will be able to read the Garmin Maps on the GPS. Unfortunately Garmin Cartography Group have not allowed BaseCamp to read ALL maps - only those Garmin maps that are factory installed (pre-loaded). Fortunately, as you point out, there are smart folks like the ones at JaVaWa.nl that can fix this for us - and BaseCamp.

Someone needs to take the Garmin Cartography group to the wood shed.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #5283
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Montana Convert .... soon

OK, I'm convinced. Will start shopping.

One final question (for now);
Does the Montana have fitness functions to monitor heart rate, cadence, etc.?

I see heart rate straps and cadence sensors in the accessories list for the Montana on their website. But I cannot find anything that definitely states yes or no for these functions.

If I can use the Montana while running and bicycling in place of my Forerunner wrist unit to monitor and track my rides/runs that would be a bonus.

JB
johnpitts01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #5284
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
OK, I'm convinced. Will start shopping.

One final question (for now);
Does the Montana have fitness functions to monitor heart rate, cadence, etc.?

I see heart rate straps and cadence sensors in the accessories list for the Montana on their website. But I cannot find anything that definitely states yes or no for these functions.

If I can use the Montana while running and bicycling in place of my Forerunner wrist unit to monitor and track my rides/runs that would be a bonus.

JB

Yes!
Video here:
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #5285
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Couple comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Have you tried it in BC 4.0.1? I can't get it to do mixed routing in either the Mac or Windows versions.
Regarding mixed routing -- if your direct route shaping point is too close to a defined road or trail, when auto-routed the route will follow the road, then sent a perpendicular line out and back to your off-road shaping point. I'm not sure what the minimum distance from the road you need to exceed, but it's probably a good quarter mile.

As an example, when comparing GoogleEarth satellite images and the Topo 24K maps (routeable topos), I noticed a section of road next to a stream where the trail on the map followed the stream not the road I could see next to it. I tried to shape the route directly onto the road, and it wouldn't stick.

For other sections when you have to traverse greater distances where there's no routable road, it's no problem to mix direct and auto-routed shaping points. Note; if you have any part of your route auto-routed, you are limited to 50 shaping points per route.

Frank & John -- I know we use our GPS's for similar endeavors. I've moved from the 60csx to the Montana, and I like it better. On M9 we had a whole gamash of units including 276's. Some were able to auto-route, some not. Different units had different track and memory limitations.

What I've found to be the most universal way to share mega-routes / trips like the kind we create is to make a map overlay (.gmap) using IMGfromGPX, of the entire route, and have everyone load it onto their units as a minimum, along with the auto-routes and tracks and waypoints. The map overlay is always visible, and gets around all track and memory limits, and it is exquisitely detailed in how it follows curves and direct-routing sections. It's a technique worth looking into.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #5286
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Nice explanation Emmbeedee.

BaseCamp does expect it will be able to read the Garmin Maps on the GPS. Unfortunately Garmin Cartography Group have not allowed BaseCamp to read ALL maps - only those Garmin maps that are factory installed (pre-loaded). Fortunately, as you point out, there are smart folks like the ones at JaVaWa.nl that can fix this for us - and BaseCamp.
Thanks. It's amazing how useful JaVaWa is, over and above the Basecamp maps visibility fix. I had JVW check the gpx files on my Montana and it found three corrupt files, files which had always given me problems when I hooked up to the computer. I'd get a 'Basecamp can't read this file' repeatedly, but figured it was just BC being weird as it sometimes can be, but JVW pointed out exactly which files were flawed and removed them for me.

And when I tried version 1.9 tonight it told me that my most recent lifetime map update to CityNav wasn't set to 'visible' in BC so I fixed that.

Anyone care that the purchase of the download version of Lifetime Map Updater is $20 off until the end of September from Garmin online? It's $69 vs the normal $89.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:25 PM
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #5287
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
While I'm at it

a minor rant:

You've been riding dusty trail. Your Montana is off. You turn it on for the day's ride. You're still a little sore and groggy from yesterday's ride, or maybe from the bourbon in the hot chocolate. You rub your eyes. You squint.

In the low, morning sun, you notice a thick layer of fine dust on the screen. (Please, tell me I'm not the only one who's done this)...

As you wait while the unit is firing up, you sweep your gloved hand, or maybe a soft cloth you carry for just such purposes across the screen to wipe away the dust and start the day fresh. Before you know it, it flashes "Do you really want to erase all user data?" and below that "Yes" "No", and then, in a split second before you can stop the motion of your hand.... you've slid it over the "Yes" selection and poof...everything is GONE!

AAK!!!

I did that not once, but TWICE in two weeks. Each time I then spent the first 30 minutes of the day's ride, clutchless shifting while fiddling with the unit with my left hand getting my settings back in order. And yes, I have backup profiles.

If I could incorporate a simple design tweak to prevent this accidental occurrence, I would disable the "Yes" selection for a 10 second lock-out delay at the "Do you really want to erase all user data?" screen.

And yes, I freely admit I'm an idiot. Isn't that what idiot-proof design was intended for?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #5288
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Regarding mixed routing -- if your direct route shaping point is too close to a defined road or trail, when auto-routed the route will follow the road, then sent a perpendicular line out and back to your off-road shaping point. I'm not sure what the minimum distance from the road you need to exceed, but it's probably a good quarter mile.

As an example, when comparing GoogleEarth satellite images and the Topo 24K maps (routeable topos), I noticed a section of road next to a stream where the trail on the map followed the stream not the road I could see next to it. I tried to shape the route directly onto the road, and it wouldn't stick.

For other sections when you have to traverse greater distances where there's no routable road, it's no problem to mix direct and auto-routed shaping points. Note; if you have any part of your route auto-routed, you are limited to 50 shaping points per route.
Interesting, I have tested and tested - in the real world - the Mixed-route capability of Mac-BaseCamp and the Montana. I have not had the experience that you have in not being able to create a Direct section(s) on any NON-Routable map and then activating a routable map under the mixed-route.

The screenshot below is one of my test routes. This test tries to get the Direct-route to fail by placing the Direct sections within 20ft. of the routable road data. Garmin's algorithm does not "see" below 20ft when it comes to routing. Notice the map scale.

On the Montana, the same route under navigation:

No problem and the Enabled Map is CNNA 2013.

I use to create Track overlay maps because of the limitations of the Garmin GPS's. Not any longer. A 10K point Track has some rather high detail. But, it really comes down to the lowest common level of capability when you ride with a group.

I still do a lot of filtering.
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #5289
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
a minor rant:

You've been riding dusty trail. Your Montana is off. You turn it on for the day's ride. You're still a little sore and groggy from yesterday's ride, or maybe from the bourbon in the hot chocolate. You rub your eyes. You squint.

In the low, morning sun, you notice a thick layer of fine dust on the screen. (Please, tell me I'm not the only one who's done this)...

As you wait while the unit is firing up, you sweep your gloved hand, or maybe a soft cloth you carry for just such purposes across the screen to wipe away the dust and start the day fresh. Before you know it, it flashes "Do you really want to erase all user data?" and below that "Yes" "No", and then, in a split second before you can stop the motion of your hand.... you've slid it over the "Yes" selection and poof...everything is GONE!

AAK!!!

I did that not once, but TWICE in two weeks. Each time I then spent the first 30 minutes of the day's ride, clutchless shifting while fiddling with the unit with my left hand getting my settings back in order. And yes, I have backup profiles.

If I could incorporate a simple design tweak to prevent this accidental occurrence, I would disable the "Yes" selection for a 10 second lock-out delay at the "Do you really want to erase all user data?" screen.

And yes, I freely admit I'm an idiot. Isn't that what idiot-proof design was intended for?
So, hopefully, everyone knows that none of your personal "data"(i.e, Routes, Tracks, Waypoints, Geocaches, Photos, Shortcuts, Maps, etc) will be lost with a Master Reset. Only the User Settings - which are instantly recoverable after boot by selecting your Custom Profile from the Setup->Profiles list.

Tip:
1. If you keep your custom Profile(s) below the top entry in the Profile List (I keep mine at the bottom of the list), you will never overwrite it with the Recreation Profile when there is a Master Reset.

Oh. . .no Doc, you aren't the only one who's done this.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #5290
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Routable / Non routable Topos for direct routing

So a bit of clarifcation, please;
1) Which Topos are non routable?
2) Are any of the Topos routable?

As I understand 100k Topo are non routable.
24k Topo are routable.

I want to be able to create mixed mode routes in BCWin ( at least for now until I am convinced the tracks with waypoints and proximity alarms combined with Doc Rock's overlays are a better way to go AND I switch from Win to iOS) so I will go with the non routable Topo.

BUT

I am thinking for mountain biking and hiking in remote and unfamiliar areas I may want the routable topo.

Can both the 100k and 24 k be loaded on the sdCard and selectable?

Answerin my own question and follow up I imagine that if I switch to the tracks method and abandon routes then the non routable 100k topo becomes redundant.

Thanks again to all for your support and answers: DRTBYKR, Doc Rock, EMBEEDEE and others.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #5291
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
So a bit of clarifcation, please;
1) Which Topos are non routable?
2) Are any of the Topos routable?

As I understand 100k Topo are non routable.
24k Topo are routable.

I want to be able to create mixed mode routes in BCWin ( at least for now until I am convinced the tracks with waypoints and proximity alarms combined with Doc Rock's overlays are a better way to go AND I switch from Win to iOS) so I will go with the non routable Topo.

BUT

I am thinking for mountain biking and hiking in remote and unfamiliar areas I may want the routable topo.

Can both the 100k and 24 k be loaded on the sdCard and selectable?

Answerin my own question and follow up I imagine that if I switch to the tracks method and abandon routes then the non routable 100k topo becomes redundant.

Thanks again to all for your support and answers: DRTBYKR, Doc Rock, EMBEEDEE and others.
I'm in Canada so I don't have any experience with the 100 or 24k Topos of the US, but I do know that both could be loaded to a gps, and selected individually or together, though there's a disadvantage to selecting more than one map at a time so no reason to do so.

One map will always have priority, and they're not transparent, so detail doesn't aggregate on screen. It's best to create a profile relevant to each map, in my experience, and a shortcut to the profile.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #5292
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Are you using BaseCamp? Since you are asking the question here I must assume your GPS is a Montana(?).

Cheers,
I might have figured it out now. I have a Montana and I am using the PC version of BaseCamp. I guess I should be using the direct routing option and then editing the route by inserting and moving points? I'm assuming that I will need to have the Montana set to Direct Routing when selecting the route as well?

Thanks!
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #5293
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Just got my Montana. Quite an upgrade from my Zumo! Got CNNA uploaded into mac/Montana. I made a test route on BC, uploaded it to Montana. Flawless.

On my Zumo, a screen would pop up asking if I wanted to "Navigate to beginning of route" or something along those lines. Montana doesn't do this. Well, at least with the current settings it isn't doing it. Does it?

Thanks
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 07:11 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #5294
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
i cant even figure out how to switch from direct to auto routing in bc for fok sake.
lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #5295
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Converting DP

DP - I predict that by this time next year you will be a BC / Montana convert and you will never look back.
Put it on your calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
i cant even figure out how to switch from direct to auto routing in bc for fok sake.
lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2