User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #31
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 428
Im in!

Ive been a professional aluminum welder in years past too. Can throw you some advice when Im not workin so much and have more time. You make me wanna build one now . . .
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,295
Looks like a great project!

In

I have similar aspirations for my wife's DR650...
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for the offer silgletrackslayer, I hope to be getting into some of the welding and fab in the coming months. I'll post some pictures of my efforts for some critique.
Sadly not a lot of major progress since the last upgate still just tackling one job at a time. I've been looking at houses which sucks heeps of time as well. Good news is I boutght one, even better news is it's got a big shed so I can get set up properly. Can't wait to be working off a bench for a change and have a vice plus mount my grinders ect properly. Still almost two months off yet but something to look foreward to.

I've started sorting out what's needed to make new oil lines and hoses. All the standard fittings on the frame and oil cooler are JIS a japanese standard tube fitting and not that common. I'll be cutting them all off and welding on JIC fittings a much more common and readily available type of fitting that I can get for nix from work. I have also cut up the old oil lines and removed the special ends that go into the engine. I'll get these plated and reuse them later on new hose.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also did a small repair to the stator cover. As I mentioned early in this thread this bike was ridden on the salt flats a lot and it has eaten into the magnesium engine side covers in some areas overall it's not that bad I can just clean it up with a file and get them powdercoated, however this one needed a little clean up.
[IMG]

[/IMG]

One of my last big ticket items is now sorted out as well. The tyres that came on the bike are great but not DOT approved so I had to buy new tyres. I'm going for full rego and have to take it over the pits and so needed something that would pass the inspection. I'll keep the old ones to use later or for a trip. Also went for a set of ultra heavy duty tubes.
[IMG][/IMG]

Got these crf 450 wheels for a good price off ebay through extreme powersports Australia. My experience with these guys was great and I'll get a set of motard wheels off them as well whenever the build is finished.
[IMG][/IMG]

Put all that lot togeather and I've got these ready to go.
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm currently working on machining the swing arm to take the crf axle and brake this will take me a little while to get sorted, plus plenty of other smaller jobs.
Motomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #34
kapparone
n00b

Oddometer: 7
check it out!!!
Ciao
Krone

kapparone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #35
SlickSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Been following you and we need updates man!

Your build is coming along nicely, faster than mine, and its making me itch.
Im waiting on my frame and some parts that my brother painted but the waiting is
killing me. Ive got a few boxes of new and shiny stuff to fit but still no frame!!!!

Come on man, its our food...
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #36
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Progress is still happening slowly. My Computer crashed and burnt so that's why I haven't posted any updates lately. I'm at work for a week at the moment and can finally give you guys somesort of update, unable to post pics for the moment. The slot in the rear of the swingarm has been machined to accept the crf axle. It has also had all brackets ect cut off. The slot has also been extended foreward by the difference in the radius from the new axle to the old one. This ensures the new axle will have the same centerline when it is right foreward.
I have decided to make a new steering stem rather than machine the crf item. I just don't like the idea of reducing the wall thickness of that part. I have done all the measurements and drawn up the stem and spacer that i need to make in cad. Just need time to get it done now.

I bought a cylinder sleve and forged piston kit (102mm). Engine displacement will be 650cc. I've been doing a lot of work preparing the engine for soda blasting, removing casting marks and a weld repair on a front sprocket cover mount. I've removed the broken exhaust studs and tapped the holes ready for helicoils. I've stripped the head and rocker cover completely including pushing out the old valve guides. The rockers aren't in bad condition with only one needing replacement along with it's piviot shaft. A number of the 6mm threads in the head were stripped so I've drilled out all of the 6mm threads in the top end and tapped them ready to be fitted with helecoils. No more stripped threads here, ever. Still got some to do but I hope the get the engine ready for blasting within the next two weeks.
I'll post pics as soon as I get the chance and try to keep the progress rolling.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #37
ffjmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Yeah whats up with this build?
ffjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #38
xr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Update please!
xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #39
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Oddometer: 53
You have done some good work. I guess it is easier to restore these bikes in the US, than in South Africa. The most simple part can not even be bought here, never mind the engine parts.

I am afraid that the day will come when I have no choice than to repair my XR with imported parts which will cost me a fortune.

Keep on building!

looking forward to an update and final product.

Regards

'92 Honda XR600R
Rocket_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #40
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Oddometer: 53
She will be a beauty when finished.

'92 Honda XR600R
Rocket_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rookie View Post
You have done some good work. I guess it is easier to restore these bikes in the US, than in South Africa. The most simple part can not even be bought here, never mind the engine parts.

I am afraid that the day will come when I have no choice than to repair my XR with imported parts which will cost me a fortune.

Keep on building!

looking forward to an update and final product.

Regards

I'm living in Australia and am getting all my parts from the states mostly through e bay. Works out cheaper than going to the bike shop down the road
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #42
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Overdue Updates

Finally got a new computer so I should be able to keep A better track of my progress. It has been slow and steady lately. Trying to get what I can done in between my million other jobs rennovating a house and work. The big shed turned out to not be so big when all the other crap went in and the work area is very tight so a bigger new shed is on the way. Can't wait to finally have a propper workshop.
Smoothed out all the casting marks and disused castings from all the engine cases and components then had them all glass bead blasted.
Before

Smoothed out

Blasted and finished

Weld repair on a broken engine case

Origionally I had these parts soda blasted but this was no good. Wasn't abrasive enough to remove all the old baked on mud and blend in all the filing and machine marks. The glass bead blasting worked perfectly.

The CRF tripple clamps i'm using were also given a work over. All of the casting marks were filed off and smoothed out then I polished them.

Once all this was done the engine cases were asembeled and the whole lot masked up using heat proof tape ready for powdercoating. The tripple clamps are also getting powdercoated clear.

The cylinder has had the sleve fitted and bored oversize ready to go, this was also blasted.

I've also measured up the crank and pressed it apart ready to fit the new carillo rod. Haven't had a chance to put it back togeather yet. I had to make a special pin so I could get it apart without removing the counterbalance gear.

Got all the parts to rebuild the head but before I do this I want to weld on a set of big fins.
I also bourght this second hand to fit up
I've never ridden with one on a dirt bike but after using one on my vtr roadie i'm guessing it'll be worth every cent.
Still working on a heep of other bits and pieces as well and will keep updated as I get them done.

Motomechanic screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 05:29 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Very cool build. I did something similar to a '97 XRL and it was too much fun, these bikes are built like brick houses. The big fin head, oil cooler and big bore are the best mods ever for these bikes. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the final product.

srad600 screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 10:40 PM
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Very cool build. I did something similar to a '97 XRL and it was too much fun, these bikes are built like brick houses. The big fin head, oil cooler and big bore are the best mods ever for these bikes. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the final product.

Good to know i'm on the right track with the mods. Feel free to post some pictures of your xr if you've got any, I find looking at what others have done a big help when figuring out what I want and how i'll do it.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #45
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Slow and steady as usual

I made the decision today and the engine cases are going to be powdercoated with a textured saturn black similar to harley crankcases. I saw this photo on a cyclewizard post and think it looks awesome. This is what i'm shooting for with my engine.

I won't be touching the bike for a while as i'm going to work offshore for 5 to 7 weeks. The speed of progress on this build is realy starting to frustrate me. On the upside when I get home the new shed will be going up and i'll have a few weeks off to get some work done on the XRF! ( Yes i've dubbed it the XRF)
Mucked around with some minor stuff tonight.
Broken rear brake reservoir cap replaced.

Fitting this cap highlighted yet another part to add to my genuine parts order. The rubber underneath is broken and needs replacing.
At this stage i'm just making a list of everything that I need genuine so I can place one big order all togeather. Still can't believe how huge the savings are buying the same parts from the states including postage rather than from a honda dealer 10 mins away. I've shown them the prices and would prefer to buy local but they tell me they just can't come close to matching the prices.

Fitted a rear caliper guard

As you can see the rear wheel is fitted apart from wheel spacers. I plan on making these from titanium hydraulic fittings I aquired from work .
That's a little lathe job to be done down the track. The cyclewizard chain adjusters also had to be machined out to fit the crf axle.

The headlight is going to be from a 2012 yamaha wr 450. I think the light will suit the bike overall. But I mainly chose this light because the actual light is mounted high in the surround. Giving space underneath for the oil cooler. I plan on cutting out the section below the light to allow airflow through to the oil cooler. Definately not a cheap option but after looking at a lot of other lights it's one i'm most happy with. All mounts will be custom made once i get the front end in.

I did say at the start of this thread thad i'de build my own exhaust. Well that will be partly true when I get to making the middle section. Time is the hardest thing for me to spend on this project. Everytime i'm looking at it I just can't wait to get it built and go riding. I got a big gun big bore header off ebay to fit up, I've already bent the tube to make the mid section from, thats them in the background.

And the part of this bike that I love the most is taking shape.

Ever since I was a kid and saw the Jonny Cambell HRC twin exhaust xr 600's racing in the baja 1000 I thought they looked awesome and always wanted one, now all that's left is to attach this to my XR and i'll have what I always wanted Gotta love building your own bike

As I said That's it for a few weeks while i'm at work. But the plan is in place to get stuck in and make some serious progress when I get back home.

Motomechanic screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 05:30 PM