Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #226
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Same story as always isn't it, how high a spec do you want your new bike. Spend $5k and drop another $2 k bringing it up to your standards of throttle response, or suspension adjustability or both... Or spend $ 8k for a KTM or other higher spec bike. Why not spend $10k. Get a KTM 350 with much higher power, better suspension, stronger rims, fancier everything

I've done the massive mods to a KLX and was super happy with the results.

With this bike, I'm not changing a thing. It is what it is. I'll remove some of the overbearing reflectors, plate brackets and put a skidplate on it. I'm much more interested in riding it than trying to figure work-arounds like removing the charcoal canister, air injection system, then need block off plates, plug hoses, and all that.

But it is a part of the hobby, changing things from one end to the other if that suits you. Gawd knows I've sure done it.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #227
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Same story as always isn't it, how high a spec do you want your new bike. Spend $5k and drop another $2 k bringing it up to your standards of throttle response, or suspension adjustability or both... Or spend $ 8k for a KTM or other higher spec bike. Why not spend $10k. Get a KTM 350 with much higher power, better suspension, stronger rims, fancier everything

I've done the massive mods to a KLX and was super happy with the results.

With this bike, I'm not changing a thing. It is what it is. I'll remove some of the overbearing reflectors, plate brackets and put a skidplate on it. I'm much more interested in riding it than trying to figure work-arounds like removing the charcoal canister, air injection system, then need block off plates, plug hoses, and all that.

But it is a part of the hobby, changing things from one end to the other if that suits you. Gawd knows I've sure done it.
LOL!...Bake, no one will accuse you of not being a tinkerer in some aspects of motorcycling as I know some of your past efforts, but you're right about how it's an individual approach to mods or not to have mods. There is no right or wrong here, and I guess I only tend to jump in when people claim that modding isn't worth it. While most of these motorcycles produced today will work just fine as delivered, many want a little more or want to do some things to their bikes to just smooth out the rough edges they perceive.

Like you, I've probably taken my KLX to the end of the road as far as any more serious mods go...full suspension revalve and engine mods. The TM36 was the last step, and after 3 days of serious off road riding this past weekend, I'm just stoked with the results. But...everyone isn't going to use their bikes in the same way, and I'd contend that the vast majority won't use the KLX, WRR, or CRFL to their full potential. Nothing wrong with that. And something else to consider is that motorcycling isn't like owning a family car for many owners. Many of us look at motorcycling as a purely fun, exciting, and sometimes even a bit of an emotional pursuit. And if you're a gearhead on top of that, you probably won't leave any of your motorcycles alone as far as modding or tinkering. It's part and parcel of being a motorcyclist for many of us, but it's certainly not required for everyone else.

On your mention of KTM, I'm eyeing that possibility of a street legal 2013 350 Freeride with 25 horsepower, long service intervals with extreme durability, a 230 pound weight, race ready suspension, and just what appears to be a killer bike that might not have any peers in the true DS category. But...if I bought such a bike, what would I have to do in the way of mods to keep me busy? I guess I'd just have to ride more.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #228
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Just started installing new pro tapers last night. cr high bend with adapters which gave me about 3/4 in rise on the bars.
Dirtchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #229
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtchuck View Post
Just started installing new pro tapers last night. cr high bend with adapters which gave me about 3/4 in rise on the bars.
Cool, 1-1/8" ? . Want to add the Renthal Fat Bars as I seen on RideVictoria's WR to do away with the crossbar. He didn't add an adapter though, just the Highway Dirtbikes top clamp . Thought the WR also came with 7/8" bars stock.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #230
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,258
I like this thread.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #231
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Joe they are pro taper 1&1/8 bars. pretty positive the adapters would be only way the new bars are way larger. The bonus is I can stand up on it way easier and the crossbar is gone too
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #232
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Looked at one today in the dealers here in UK. Quite impressed by what is in my eyes, a funky commuter bike, does have some good points. The sign on the bike is rekoning 90mpg.. quite an impressive figure although real world riding, will almost definately see a lesser figure. Seemed a good ride height with enough suspension travel and very well balanced. Big lump of an engine mind. The frame looked like it will need a new coat after a couple of years and definately needs new bars.. they look like they are made of cheese!!
I guess it will suit a gentle bimbler, probably over 45 year old and wanting to be getting away from hustle and bustle, rather than riding it like they stole it. not bad for what it is mind, in a couple of years second hand will be fairly cheap and be ok.
Do wonder at what speed they like to do a road mind, may have a test ride if I can get around to it
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #233
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtchuck View Post
I want to replace the bars on mine, can't decide on 11/8 or 7/8. I won't be riding it hard off road. All the ram mount balls I have are 7/8. Did you have any issues with cables etc?

Thanks
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #234
TIKI-da-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Crf 250 il filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn11487 View Post
Where are you guys getting your oil filters? My local dealer didn't even have it in there system. Of course we call them Honda Worst for a reason. Are they that incompetent? I'd like to purchase about 6.
Just so you know its the same filter as CBR250R filter...
TIKI-da-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #235
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Bars are done! Just gotta figure out where to put the mounts for phone and go-pro
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #236
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

yyz I went with 1-1/8 pro taper cr high bends. See my pic below this is the only mod I needed to do with the throttle cables, it was tight in the retainer with bars full left but did not mess with the idle just took up 100% of the free play. I am overall happy with it, the adapters for the big bars gave me about 3/4 in height I needed to stand in comfort
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #237
davidmill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
roxy 2" swivel bar risers work perfect with no mods and using stock bars is a 10 minute job
davidmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #238
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
One thing to keep in mind about intake and exhaust mods is not to focus solely on top end horsepower figures. Most 4-stroke engines respond very well to these mods for the improvement of throttle response, low end torque, and overall driveability enjoyment. A handful of small but important mods might indeed only add a couple of horsepower, but where, when, and how that power is distributed in the powerband is what can make a given bike much more pleasurable and useful depending on how you ride... ...The Honda is probably going to respond in similar if not exact manner to the type of intake and exhaust mods that many apply to the WRR and KLX. There's no requirement for owners of these bikes to apply any of these mods, but don't poo-poo them based on a personal bias.
Sure, I don't doubt that some improvements could be made - although when the majority of the reports here seem to suggest owners are very happy with the fueling/power response as stock, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to buy a $4000 bike, and put a $700 exhaust on it?

As I said in my post you quoted - I'm all for swapping out parts if they help to reduce weight and improve performance, but was questioning why anyone would want to swap an exhaust to simply 'make the bike louder'?

My response was initially to the youtube link a couple of pages back which showed a very loud aftermarket exhaust - my point in all of this was simply that fitting dual-sport bikes with excessively loud pipes and riding them in public areas is going to get [more] trails closed down...

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 12:54 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #239
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Sure, I don't doubt that some improvements could be made - although when the majority of the reports here seem to suggest owners are very happy with the fueling/power response as stock, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to buy a $4000 bike, and put a $700 exhaust on it?
Does it really make sense to ride a motorcycle when you're so much more protected in a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
My response was initially to the youtube link a couple of pages back which showed a very loud aftermarket exhaust - my point in all of this was simply that fitting dual-sport bikes with excessively loud pipes and riding them in public areas is going to get [more] trails closed down...
Do you really think loud exhausts are what's closing down public riding areas? Oh boy.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #240
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post

Do you really think loud exhausts are what's closing down public riding areas? Oh boy.
Loud exhausts alienate trail riders from the general public, farmers and the like. They also lead to tighter noise regulations and heavier exhaust systems.

It's a look at me thing for twats when all is said and done.