Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #241
Shooter83
Inmate # 5.56x45

Oddometer: 8
I'm not an owner yet, but I'm pretty set on getting this bike. So I've been following this thread closely.

Glad to see the aftermarket picking up with this bike!

I'm hoping to be able to pick one up sometime next year.
Shooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #242
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
Loud exhausts alienate trail riders from the general public, farmers and the like. They also lead to tighter noise regulations and heavier exhaust systems.

It's a look at me thing for twats when all is said and done.
Aside from the fact that trails are not where you'll find the general public, the general public has little to nothing to do with closures of public riding areas.

Some people like loud, others don't. I'm sure if you stop calling one side twats, they will stop calling you a fuck face.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #243
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter83 View Post
I'm not an owner yet, but I'm pretty set on getting this bike. So I've been following this thread closely.

Glad to see the aftermarket picking up with this bike!

I'm hoping to be able to pick one up sometime next year.
Good for you Shooter! It's a great little bike and the more people who own one, the less BS about other junk will be in this thread.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #244
marum017
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Aside from the fact that trails are not where you'll find the general public, the general public has little to nothing to do with closures of public riding areas.

Some people like loud, others don't. I'm sure if you stop calling one side twats, they will stop calling you a fuck face.
I hardly ever post, but felt compelled to respond. If you don't feel loud exhausts have any affect on riding area closures, you are part of the problem. It may not be as big of a deal in your locality, but it a huge issue in most areas. If this isn't obvious to you, you need to do some research.
marum017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #245
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Sure, I don't doubt that some improvements could be made - although when the majority of the reports here seem to suggest owners are very happy with the fueling/power response as stock, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to buy a $4000 bike, and put a $700 exhaust on it?

As I said in my post you quoted - I'm all for swapping out parts if they help to reduce weight and improve performance, but was questioning why anyone would want to swap an exhaust to simply 'make the bike louder'?

My response was initially to the youtube link a couple of pages back which showed a very loud aftermarket exhaust - my point in all of this was simply that fitting dual-sport bikes with excessively loud pipes and riding them in public areas is going to get [more] trails closed down...

Jx
I hate to jump in the foray, but just wanted to make a couple of comments. First of all, I totally agree with JMo that loud = less riding and shut down areas - no if and or buts, from the street to trails it's a fact that it is a huge issue. Didn't California just implement SB435? Direct response to noise? Denver has noise ordanances..same thing, the forest service now can stop and do noise checks (and they do) around here as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure that just because a bike is inexpensive, that should discourage one from making expensive mods to it for little percieved gain - I have friends that have made expensive mods to thier expensive bikes (KTMs come to mind) for the similar gains. In fact, to me it makes more sense to mod an inexpensive bike, than an expensive bike - as I would have expected the expensive bike to be closer to that 'perfection' that one may be seeking, and you can get in for a lower cost and mod as you can - if you choose. I have no illusions with this bike, no matter what I do it will never be an awesome single track weapon or dakar ready, but thats ok with me - as I will never be that level of rider either

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #246
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
I hate to jump in the foray, but just wanted to make a couple of comments. First of all, I totally agree with JMo that loud = less riding and shut down areas - no if and or buts, from the street to trails it's a fact that it is a huge issue. Didn't California just implement SB435? Direct response to noise? Denver has noise ordanances..same thing, the forest service now can stop and do noise checks (and they do) around here as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure that just because a bike is inexpensive, that should discourage one from making expensive mods to it for little percieved gain - I have friends that have made expensive mods to thier expensive bikes (KTMs come to mind) for the similar gains. In fact, to me it makes more sense to mod an inexpensive bike, than an expensive bike - as I would have expected the expensive bike to be closer to that 'perfection' that one may be seeking, and you can get in for a lower cost and mod as you can - if you choose. I have no illusions with this bike, no matter what I do it will never be an awesome single track weapon or dakar ready, but thats ok with me - as I will never be that level of rider either
I couldn't agree more. The only place I might differ is on the term "loud pipes". That is a veeery generalized term. Aftermarket high quality pipes like the fmf q4 are not that loud IMHO and likewise are not part of the problem when properly maintained and "un-modded". I own this bike and love it and ride 90% off road. I personally can't stand how quiet the bike is in stock form, you can't even hear it at 30mph. A q4 is definitely in my future for this bike and the 3 park rangers that I know upon upstate by where I ride will have absolutely no problem with that. The real problem (again IMHO) is with 2 smokers that have old aftermarket exhaust with no packing and 4 stroke mx bikes with super free flowing exhausts. The aforementioned bikes are just plain LOUD and aren't even comparable to how this bike will sound with a properly maintained q4.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #247
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Does it really make sense to ride a motorcycle when you're so much more protected in a car?

Do you really think loud exhausts are what's closing down public riding areas? Oh boy.
You don't go to any public meeting on riding areas, do you.

Phil
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #248
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturbo View Post
You don't go to any public meeting on riding areas, do you.

Phil
Although I agree to a degree that ill-maintained 2 smokers and 4 stroke mx bikes with straight thru race exhausts definitely do not help, I think they have become something of a scapegoat lately to close down orv parks. I HAVE been to a couple meetings upstate and there is always some douche bag developer in the back of the room with a shit grin on his face or a pretentious rich hippy that just moved in next door. Bottom line is that money is Often the real root cause. They just use noise because it's simple and universally understandable. Let the flaming begin, but that has been my experiwnce thus far with this issue.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #249
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downstater View Post
Although I agree to a degree that ill-maintained 2 smokers and 4 stroke mx bikes with straight thru race exhausts definitely do not help, I think they have become something of a scapegoat lately to close down orv parks. I HAVE been to a couple meetings upstate and there is always some douche bag developer in the back of the room with a shit grin on his face or a pretentious rich hippy that just moved in next door. Bottom line is that money is Often the real root cause. They just use noise because it's simple and universally understandable. Let the flaming begin, but that has been my experiwnce thus far with this issue.
No flaming anyone - dialouge is good. Lets say that money is the root, we as riders loose on that as well. Do the majority of us support OHV access groups like the Blue Ribbon Coalition or AMA etc.? My experience is that most don't, so we loose on all counts - we as riders make it harder on us by giving anti - access groups something to bang us over the head with (noise), and we don't fund our own defense - anyway this is getting off the thread topic so thats all for me on this.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #250
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
A good deal of what you're saying about the motivational issues behind land closures is true. Many groups are trying just about as hard to push mountainbiking off of public trails, and I seriously doubt that has much to do with loud mufflers. That said, there is a reasonable expectation that we as off roaders should use some common sense and good judgement about how loud our exhaust systems are. Most quality systems available today operate within the standards of acceptable db levels and really aren't the problem. The one in the recent video does seem to be extremely loud if the audio is truly representative of conditions. Noise at the extreme levels does cause problems. Some cities and communities have passed db level regulations in recent times, especially as they relate to open-piped cruiser motorcycles and fast-and-furious tuner cars. In a time when common sense and logic are in short supply, we as off roaders shouldn't be part of the problem. If I'm not mistaken, even professional, closed course, motorcycle racing of nearly all types have enacted some db level restrictions. Just about all of them have some excellently designed exhaust systems that produce power within those restrictions without sounding like a Toyota Prius.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #251
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
No flaming anyone - dialouge is good. Lets say that money is the root, we as riders loose on that as well. Do the majority of us support OHV access groups like the Blue Ribbon Coalition or AMA etc.? My experience is that most don't, so we loose on all counts - we as riders make it harder on us by giving anti - access groups something to bang us over the head with (noise), and we don't fund our own defense - anyway this is getting off the thread topic so thats all for me on this.
Agreed. And yes let's get back to the bike.

So is that FMF q4 available yet?!! Haha
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #252
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Love the looks of the fmf q4 with the megabomb header! Is anyone here in the US selling oem parts for this bike yet? Can't seem to find anything.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #253
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Heated Grips

Along with new bars, I plan to add heated grips. Has any come across an available switched power supply on the bike? My Vstrom had a two wire lead under the tank for adding heated grips. I hate cutting into a wiring harness.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #254
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Along with new bars, I plan to add heated grips. Has any come across an available switched power supply on the bike? My Vstrom had a two wire lead under the tank for adding heated grips. I hate cutting into a wiring harness.

See link, Chozzer's came with factory heated grips (Japan). If this is a "World Bike" then it must be plug and play with the correct part I imagine. I'll take a look at the Service Manual tonight to see if it's mentioned.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=525
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #255
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Agreed. And yes let's get back to the bike.

So is that FMF q4 available yet?!! Haha
It is! http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Bi..._HONDA_CRF250L Here's also some insight from Ramz (I added the underline):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I used an FMF PB header on my WR250R and it added performance AND reduced exhaust noise. I never got a chance to try the MB header for comparison.

I'm trying to remember what was posted comparing the two:
Belay that. I talked to FMF and here's the word:

The MB enhances low and mid and is quieter.
The PB is more mid and top and not as quiet.

The FMF muffler works with the stock CRFL header (and the FMF headers, of course). It uses an adapter to fit.

The FMF headers work with the FMF muffler only, not with the stock CRFL muffler.

The FMF muffler weighs around 5.5 pounds - a savings of a little over 6.5 pounds under the stock muffler.

Pre-orders now, shipping in 10 days or so. Allow plenty of time, they have a lot of rider and dealer orders already. Got $635 + S&H ???

No FMF fuel programmer yet, but they will be working with Bazzaz and plan something soon.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS