Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #3586
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
Is anyone going to trade up to the 2013 who currently has a 2010-2012? I find no compelling reason to do so. I would like most of all better wind protection. No need to trade in the bike for that. Smoother engine... mine is fine. Better lights... aftermarket. Better seat... can prolly just buy the 2013 version and put it on mine.

Not sure the "skyhook" is anything more than Audi cracking the profitability whip on Ducati ditching high fixed cost of Ohlins and moving to a tech'd up suspension that is less costly to them.

I see Audi influence in this bike and I don't like that. New suspension seems like a cagers mentality.
I've opted to buy a new 2012 rather than wait for the new model. I am getting a great trade in deal but also I do love a nice pair of gold ohlins
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #3587
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
I managed to see a few of the Ducks the factory was displaying at a 2013 Dealer Show event. I had hopes of seeing the new 2013 Multistrada or ?? but........notaaaaaaaa!

Only a Monster, the Cruiser and a Superbike.

Dealers were very coy about MORE new models coming ...........they had been threatened!

The Diavel really caught my eye....I could not keep my eyes off the bike! Not sure what it was but the lines were most excellent and with just the right blend of hardness and soft touches. Just makes you want to sit on one! For now only comes in one color.

I noted that there was a prototype craft in the background with a radical "tailhook" suspension mod which apparently keeps you glued to the road once engaged. I am sure the Skyhook will be better.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #3588
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
Is anyone going to trade up to the 2013 who currently has a 2010-2012? .

If I was going to do anything it would be a 2012 Pikes Peak (I'm with BB give me Ohlins or give me cake). I think Active Suspension is going to be mainstream in the next few years but I can wait a couple or three years for the next iteration.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #3589
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I stopped in to the Duc Dealer in Eugene today and rode a '10 MultiStrada S for about 150 miles. I road in on a rented '12 BMW k16GT and boy was I in for the ride of my life!!

I'm 6'2" and it fit me just right except for the passenger seat ramming me in the back. But other than that it was an awesome ride.. sex on two wheels is the only way I can describe it. A local took my on a tour of the backcountry (curves and more curves).. Awesome machine. Unbelievable power.. roll-on in top gear from 65mph is mesmerizing.

Does anyone have a Standard model?? They have a low low mile demo (Standard) for sale that I'm itching after. Would I miss the extra's that come on the S and touring models? They had a georgous PP edition on the floor.

I've got a '13 BMW K16GT ordered but after riding the rental for 700 miles now I'm wondering if this is the bike for me.. It gobbles up the interstates like no ones business but I'm not sure once I get it back home in the garage if I will ride it much until the next long trip. The Multistrada felt like a 250 enduro, tall and light and easy to hop on and run into town or for short trip.. Not sure that big Bimmer would be that inviting.. please chime in as I'm sure most of you had many different bikes before you bought your MS..
donutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #3590
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutrider View Post
I stopped in to the Duc Dealer in Eugene today and rode a '10 MultiStrada S for about 150 miles. I road in on a rented '12 BMW k16GT and boy was I in for the ride of my life!!

I'm 6'2" and it fit me just right except for the passenger seat ramming me in the back. But other than that it was an awesome ride.. sex on two wheels is the only way I can describe it. A local took my on a tour of the backcountry (curves and more curves).. Awesome machine. Unbelievable power.. roll-on in top gear from 65mph is mesmerizing.

Does anyone have a Standard model?? They have a low low mile demo (Standard) for sale that I'm itching after. Would I miss the extra's that come on the S and touring models? They had a georgous PP edition on the floor.

I've got a '13 BMW K16GT ordered but after riding the rental for 700 miles now I'm wondering if this is the bike for me.. It gobbles up the interstates like no ones business but I'm not sure once I get it back home in the garage if I will ride it much until the next long trip. The Multistrada felt like a 250 enduro, tall and light and easy to hop on and run into town or for short trip.. Not sure that big Bimmer would be that inviting.. please chime in as I'm sure most of you had many different bikes before you bought your MS..
Interestingly, when I tested the multi I also had a K16GT loaner due to my RT being serviced. I liked the GT a lot except for the screen and the transmission/drivetrain snatch could be distracting to say the least if you didn't ride the bike in such a way as to minimise it. It is an awesome bike though and I would really like one one day as the engine is fantastic and so smooth. Then I got to ride the multi....the bike just feels so right as soon as you sit on it and the test ride was an eye opener. I tested the standard and the suspension was all I'd ever need, very well set up for back roads and highway. So I ordered one . In white. Only to be told that sorry none left only red. Not my colour sorry. But I could have a touring S in 'racing titanium' and get a grands worth of free goodies. SOLD! Yes it's way more than I wanted to pay but I figured it's easier to get forgiveness at home than it is permission . The only bad thing is I have to wait until I have time to get back to the shop to pick it up. But the ride there and back is a little over 500 miles so it should run in by the time I get it home.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #3591
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
...Does anyone have a Standard model?? They have a low low mile demo (Standard) for sale that I'm itching after. Would I miss the extra's that come on the S and touring models? They had a georgous PP edition on the floor...
I have a 2010 standard without ABS. I wouldn't trade it for an S or a Touring or a 2013 model. Keep in mind I'm in Houston, TX where the roads are flat, straight and gravel is very uncommon. Once I've dialed in the suspension I keep it there. I'd read up about the shock and ECU failures on the S and touring models. Once you're out of warranty you might be F'd, unless you have an extended warranty.

Others on this forum and another already know I'm a big fan boy of the standard. I used the extra savings to buy the farkles I know I would actually use.

Standard is a great bike, you get the same motor, seating position etc as with the others. You won't regret it.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #3592
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:

I'm 6'2" and it fit me just right except for the passenger seat ramming me in the back. But other than that it was an awesome ride.. sex on two wheels is the only way I can describe it.
The 2013 bikes have a longer rider seat and a shorter passenger seat, solving the problem you describe above. To me, 5 foot 10, the 2010-12 are perfect and when I test rode this bike I liked that passenger seat edge to keep me from flying off the bike when twisting the throttle and experiencing its rocket-like acceleration.

I would say: go for it if you want to ride anything else other than the interstate highways. Everyone has a different definition of what makes them smile when riding. To me, the Multistrada (and other bikes with the same riding ergonomics - but the Multistrada in particular) summarizes a lot of what riding is all about.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #3593
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
I have a 2010 standard without ABS. I wouldn't trade it for an S or a Touring or a 2013 model. Keep in mind I'm in Houston, TX where the roads are flat, straight and gravel is very uncommon. Once I've dialed in the suspension I keep it there. I'd read up about the shock and ECU failures on the S and touring models. Once you're out of warranty you might be F'd, unless you have an extended warranty.

Others on this forum and another already know I'm a big fan boy of the standard. I used the extra savings to buy the farkles I know I would actually use.

Standard is a great bike, you get the same motor, seating position etc as with the others. You won't regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I would say: go for it if you want to ride anything else other than the interstate highways. Everyone has a different definition of what makes them smile when riding. To me, the Multistrada (and other bikes with the same riding ergonomics - but the Multistrada in particular) summarizes a lot of what riding is all about.
i completely agree with both of the above statements.....so very true. i love the simplicity of the Standard (and it's extremely capable), and like some of the amenities of the Touring (but hate the niggles/potential hassles).

ride what you like, and what fits your riding needs best.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #3594
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Go for it, I did. I'm putting 70 miles a day commuting on mine and I still take the long way home. Fabulous bike. If I have a regret it's I didn't get the PP.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #3595
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Yeah but the white looks sweet. Still wish I could have gotten one.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #3596
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Go for it, I did. I'm putting 70 miles a day commuting on mine and I still take the long way home. Fabulous bike. If I have a regret it's I didn't get the PP.

Awesome.... Very Nice!!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #3597
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:

I've had a '10 Standard, Non-ABS for a couple of months now and am really enjoying the bike. I'm 6'-2" and find that the seating/ergonomics for me are just about perfect. I do notice that the passenger seat limits the seating position somewhat and will probably try to correct that this winter. I'm also running a shorty Cal Sci screen which eliminates the helmet turbulence of the stocker. I'll probably spring for the carbon PP sport screen as an up grade.

Took a two day, 900 mile loop through the Big Horns and SE Montana, averaged about 38mpg with some pretty high speed running. Awesome power from the 1198 motor.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #3598
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

How many of you have put in a 700+ mile day in the saddle on an MS? I did 775 yesterday on th K16GT and was wondering if it was even possible on a MS without th cruise control and extra wind protection.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #3599
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Disclaimer.. I realize that I'm comparing apples and watermelons here.. I just love to party with th long-legged redhead Italian... Im in Oklahoma and have a 9 hour ride just to get to the mountains or hill country (not counting Arkansas here)
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #3600
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
How many of you have put in a 700+ mile day in the saddle on an MS? I did 775 yesterday on th K16GT and was wondering if it was even possible on a MS without th cruise control and extra wind protection.
Sure its possible....I rode 675 to Indy on my Tuono a couple years ago....no cruise nor windshield....did I like it? No.

Rode there on the Harley this year with cruise and windshield...did I like it? Yes.

I'll ride there again on the GSA...no cruise with windshield...will I like it? Yes. :)

My buddy rode his MS to Indy this year....no cruise, stock windshield...did he like it? yes, loved it!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote