Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #1351
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Turning my ABS off actually helped cause my first and only spill on the Tiger. Stopping on a loose grave road to adjust something and right before coming to a complete stop the front binders locked up. Instant wheel tuck and down I went traveling at about 2 mph. Lesson learned.
I will turn it off for riding off road hill country but other than that it stays on.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #1352
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Turning my ABS off actually helped cause my first and only spill on the Tiger. Stopping on a loose grave road to adjust something and right before coming to a complete stop the front binders locked up. Instant wheel tuck and down I went traveling at about 2 mph. Lesson learned.
I will turn it off for riding off road hill country but other than that it stays on.
Classic...watched a friend on his GS do the same thing right in front of me a few weeks ago...wish I'd had the GoPro running! Lesson learned? Lay off the front brake when coming to a stop on gravel...ABS or no...bad habit.

I'm pretty impressed with the way the ABS works off-road and I rarely turn it off just because it's such a pain. Like others have mentioned, I will definitely stop and turn it off if I have to navigate a steep downhill section.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #1353
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,058
ABS off road

We just did a 4 day dual sport ride and it included quite a bit of steep rocky climbs and descents and I just left the ABS on the whole weekend. Never had a single scary moment of "run away" caused by the ABS cycling. Some of the steep sections were loose, rocky and you were constantly being bounced off your line etc. but no problems with the ABS. I have to admit a few times heading over a crest and looking at the rocky steep slope I was about to head down and thinking about the ABS. They just worked.

Mine just stays on.

bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1354
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,309
Great thread guys!!!

One question though.....Anyone here having the CLANK noise offroad??

I'm getting mixed opinions on this, most people report a center stand spring recall. Had mine replaced and still get the slap.

Ive also read that guys WITHOUT center stand have same issue. Anyone here find a cause or solution??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #1355
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post

I'm getting mixed opinions on this, most people report a center stand spring recall. Had mine replaced and still get the slap.

No clank for me... but my center stand has been zip tied to its mount since after the first (noisy clanky)ride with it installed. The key is to keep the zip tie just tight enough so that it can be wiggled off with your fingers.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #1356
Jeroen!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I recently received a completely new center stand, with a lot of rubbers to protect the swingarm. Don't really recall a different clanking noise than the center stand and that's gone.

Tiger 800xc '11
Jeroen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #1357
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
No clank for me... but my center stand has been zip tied to its mount since after the first (noisy clanky)ride with it installed. The key is to keep the zip tie just tight enough so that it can be wiggled off with your fingers.
I love quick handyman type fixes but not on a 14k bike, check out this video from another tiger site, It looks like a chain/swingarm issue...

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=5016.0

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #1358
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Yeah, I thought it was the centerstand, but sure could be the chain. I hope it's nothing more than annoying. I tend to run a loose chain on everything, better than too tight for sure.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #1359
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, I thought it was the centerstand, but sure could be the chain. I hope it's nothing more than annoying. I tend to run a loose chain on everything, better than too tight for sure.
+1

That is a very interesting vid. Got me thinking now...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #1360
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Great thread guys!!!

Ive also read that guys WITHOUT center stand have same issue. Anyone here find a cause or solution??

If your Tiger is a 2011, check the bash or I should say splash plate. Mine rattles alot.. It's not suppose to be loose.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #1361
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,446
I always thought I ride slow as a snail, but I can't ride off-tarmac with ABS. One time I was coming into a blind corner a bit fast & ABS pulsed me right into a ditch. I don't have a problem w/the front, but the rear ABS sucks on dirt. Maybe I'm just to used to locking up both wheels. I usually practice emergency stops everytime I ride off-tarmac. I believe if some of you tried an emergency stop in dirt, then you would turn it off too.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #1362
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
If your Tiger is a 2011, check the bash or I should say splash plate. Mine rattles alot.. It's not suppose to be loose.
2012 and double checked everything I could including the skid plate.

I rode this weekend with a early 90's Honda XR650L & another rider with a 2012 Yamaha ST1200.......Mine was the only one making noise on the trail.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #1363
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,446
It's just chain slap. I have ignored it for over a year. I barely notice it anymore. Of course, my LeoVince exhaust helps.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #1364
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
It's just chain slap. I have ignored it for over a year. I barely notice it anymore. Of course, my LeoVince exhaust helps.
I just upgraded from a 09' KLR.... every little noise on this new bike is on max AMPLIFY
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #1365
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

More VIDS

Interesting....