Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #26926
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That's crazy. Just another way to ream the British public.
I know the british "used" to know how to make ammo correctly. I have some vintage .303 that works just fine.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #26927
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Travesty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
read our in house (British MoD) magazine today and there was an article about how in helmand they now have a tailor made machine to incinerate out of date small arms ammo. six months shelf life, thats it. up to 18 tons of it every month. incinerator cooks off the primer and powder, the bullet even stays in the case. then its sold as scrap metal, brass, steel, antimony in AP rounds.
i can understand propellant going off with humid/dry cycles etc and squaddies need tiptop stuff at all times, but someone must be willing to pay over scrap value for what must be 99.9% perfectly good ammo.

Even if the ammunition was not still entirely useable (which would be a "crock", shelf life of even commercial ammo is measured in decades rather than months, military ammo is sealed even better), there would be far more value in the components than as scrap. This is the same BS that our own Clinton administration put into effect, they were destroying fired military brass and scrapping it (despite that actually costing them money) rather than sell it to be remanufactured. That came to a halt but if our current 'Pantload-in-Chief' gets another term it will probably return (and then some).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #26928
SAPenguin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking Guns!!

I have a thing for shiny new guns (who doesn't?!)

Here is a Wilson Combat Classic .45, with a host of custom features. Bought this on the last day of 2011, to comemmorate the 100 year anniversary of the 1911 design.

Probably the most accurate and precisely made handgun that I own (and definitely the prettiest). Target shot at approx 10 yards / 21 feet (Please excuse iphone pics - will get the SLR out and take some better ones soon)

And here is a modern take on the 1911: high capacity, competition type gun, made by STI in Texas, which they call a '2011 Edge". It has been tweaked by a gunsmith for better trigger pull, fiber optic front sight, mag well, action work, etc etc. Calibre 40S&W - can get 21 rounds into the magazine.

What is interesting is that both of the guns above are nearly identical internally, both being 1911 type firearms. The 2011 just takes the 100 year old 1911 design and modernizes it a little for competition purposes...

Will post more pics of my rifles and shotguns a little later...
SAPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #26929
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,241
Another gun question.
I see many pistols where the front of the trigger guard is shapped and grooved as if it was meant for your finger to go there. I never quite figured out the intention of this design. Anyone know what its for?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #26930
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Another gun question.
I see many pistols where the front of the trigger guard is shapped and grooved as if it was meant for your finger to go there. I never quite figured out the intention of this design. Anyone know what its for?

A common shooting technique in europe before the fairly standard grip that most use now had the shooters weak hand index finger wrapped around the front of the tigger guard.

Some agencies/folks still prefere this grip style so a lot of european/eastern european manufacturers leave the squared groved trigger guard on there.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #26931
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I know the british "used" to know how to make ammo correctly. I have some vintage .303 that works just fine.
we still do just fine, but the bastards who make it are making money hand over fist replacing it needlessly and some moron politician doesnt know any better and even gives them an "industry award" for recycling or some BS like that. i read on here some of you guys find pre war moisin ammo goes bang satisfactorily.

not much use to us here, you go to court if you do a stinky fart in Britain, so they dont let us have guns, but how long would 18 tons of win.308, rem.223, S&W.40, 9mm, .50BMG, maybe some .338lapua, take to sell in the states at $1.70/lb? oh yeah, dont forget plenty of captured 7.62 and 5.45 too.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #26932
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,161
Quote:
win.308, rem.223, S&W.40, 9mm, .50BMG, maybe some .338lapua, take to sell in the states at $1.70/lb? oh yeah, dont forget plenty of captured 7.62 and 5.45 too.
I'd buy that
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #26933
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
not much use to us here, you go to court if you do a stinky fart in Britain, so they dont let us have guns, but how long would 18 tons of win.308, rem.223, S&W.40, 9mm, .50BMG, maybe some .338lapua, take to sell in the states at $1.70/lb? oh yeah, dont forget plenty of captured 7.62 and 5.45 too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I'd buy that
+1. I can has?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #26934
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
+1. I can has?
no mate, they burned it
are burning it
will burn more of it
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #26935
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Eh? Lead Free?

Quote:
read our in house (British MoD) magazine today and there was an article about how in helmand they now have a tailor made machine to incinerate out of date small arms ammo. six months shelf life, thats it. up to 18 tons of it every month. incinerator cooks off the primer and powder, the bullet even stays in the case. then its sold as scrap metal, brass, steel, antimony in AP rounds.
i can understand propellant going off with humid/dry cycles etc and squaddies need tiptop stuff at all times, but someone must be willing to pay over scrap value for what must be 99.9% perfectly good ammo.

Coincidentally, I read an article today in the newest issue of 'Shooting Times' where the author remarked on the subject of storing ammo. His comment was rather casual (as though it was common knowledge, certainly not to me) that ammunition loaded with 'lead free' primers had a short (couple of years) shelf life. If this IS really the case it certainly SHOULD become common knowledge. I am not big on 'conspiracy thoeries' or the like but there ARE many in our government here in the US who would love for our ammo to degrade to uselessness over a period of years. The premise for lead free priming was purported to be for the safety of those shooting on less than well ventilated indoor ranges, perhaps there IS a more sinister reason for it as well. I certainly don't know but I might be more inclined to save my old ammunition and shoot up the newer stuff.

Bruce

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #26936
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,552
quick, maybe dumb question:

will a .22 magnum break action single shot rifle be able to shot .22 LR or Long?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #26937
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
quick, maybe dumb question:

will a .22 magnum break action single shot rifle be able to shot .22 LR or Long?
No.

.22LR casings are .22 in diameter, but a .22 mag casing is larger, like .25 or .27.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #26938
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
No.

.22LR casings are .22 in diameter, but a .22 mag casing is larger, like .25 or .27.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #26939
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
A common shooting technique in europe before the fairly standard grip that most use now had the shooters weak hand index finger wrapped around the front of the tigger guard.

Some agencies/folks still prefere this grip style so a lot of european/eastern european manufacturers leave the squared groved trigger guard on there.

Ahhh I see. Im gonna try that grip next time I go shooting.
A friend of mine thought it was maybe to brace up against the edge of a table or something.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #26940
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Ahhh I see. Im gonna try that grip next time I go shooting.
A friend of mine thought it was maybe to brace up against the edge of a table or something.
Some lights/other rail stuff also can butt up against the linear platform.

I didnt like the vertical at first on my CZ duty 9mm, but it has grown on me.
It does leave a bit of room for the trigger finger to "hover" off/over the trigger- also allows room for thin gloves.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: