ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #52846
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
You won't learn much from me, I'm not that good, and I'm still nursing a pretty sprained up right hand. I can ride ok, but I won't be doing anything daring or stupid.

Usually my lessons consist of "how to remove rear-fender without tools", and "land face down in the only puddle within 100 square yards". It's very instructive tho.

I'd like to do Sion's ride, but I don't have the bike for it anymore.
I need to give some lovin' to my other bikes. The WR is making them all jealous...

I'm addicted to the dirt though....
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #52847
ssreed84
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: McArthur Oh.
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
You won't learn much from me, I'm not that good, and I'm still nursing a pretty sprained up right hand. I can ride ok, but I won't be doing anything daring or stupid.

Usually my lessons consist of "how to remove rear-fender without tools", and "land face down in the only puddle within 100 square yards". It's very instructive tho.

I'd like to do Sion's ride, but I don't have the bike for it anymore.
If you guys are riding trails and not roads let me know when and a place and I might join you guys. Kind of a tune up for the Burr.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #52848
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts
 
GailCallsMeKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tioga, Texas
Oddometer: 795
Back in O-HI-O

Hi guys!!
I'll be back in Ohio Oct 6-7, leaving sometime on the 8th with the big ass moving truck. I'm trying like hell to figure out when I can try to see my bike peeps one more time.

Rented a place further North than originally intended and a lot further from civilization than Zach intended. (just West of Tioga, TX)

You are all welcome to layover at any time, perhaps as a pit stop to Big Bend.

The great thing about the place is its on a gravel road, so my morning commute will always start with a smile.

__________________
"....the poster child for "Bike-Fu for Women", self defense techniques on the trail." ~ Danjal

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #52849
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
If you guys are riding trails and not roads let me know when and a place and I might join you guys. Kind of a tune up for the Burr.
Oh, it'll be trails one way or another...question is will there be roads in between 'em. I'm thinking Perry since it's close, free, and isn't too wet this time of year.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #52850
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
WV 18 vs WV 16

I'm expecting to (road) ride down to the Marlington, WV area very soon. I've been reading some posts above about crossing on the ferry at Fly, O. and then taking WV 2 down to WV 16. I see that 16 runs much further south than 18 but is there a reason to avoid 18? It seems that everyone is taking 16 (and avoiding US 250).

Then I look to go a little east toward Buckhannon and down WV 20.

Also, looking to take in the Skyline Drive and on into DC. I heard great things about SKD and I heard that it's 35 mph.

BTW - what do they charge for that ferry ride?

Advice and suggestions. . . . . .

Thx guys - BR
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #52851
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I'm expecting to (road) ride down to the Marlington, WV area very soon. I've been reading some posts above about crossing on the ferry at Fly, O. and then taking WV 2 down to WV 16. I see that 16 runs much further south than 18 but is there a reason to avoid 18? It seems that everyone is taking 16 (and avoiding US 250).

Then I look to go a little east toward Buckhannon and down WV 20.
18 is a great road, 20 is even better. Not much elevation changes on 'em, but great curvy roads with good scenery. I like to do the 18/20 loop and go back across the Ohio in a day. 18 and 20 were being worked on in the spring, but might be smooth sailing now.

I like them both better than 16....if I'm headed towards 219/Elkins.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #52852
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Hi guys!!
I'll be back in Ohio Oct 6-7, leaving sometime on the 8th with the big ass moving truck. I'm trying like hell to figure out when I can try to see my bike peeps one more time.

Rented a place further North than originally intended and a lot further from civilization than Zach intended. (just West of Tioga, TX)

You are all welcome to layover at any time, perhaps as a pit stop to Big Bend.

The great thing about the place is its on a gravel road, so my morning commute will always start with a smile.

I've been wanting to hit big bend. I was going to go a couple of years ago in Feb. I figured it wouldn't be so damn hot then. ;) I may have to put Big Bend on the to do list for next Feb. ;)
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #52853
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Oh, it'll be trails one way or another...question is will there be roads in between 'em. I'm thinking Perry since it's close, free, and isn't too wet this time of year.
Maybe we can talk Kory into leading us around.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #52854
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Maybe we can talk Kory into leading us around.
He can lead all he likes, chances of me keeping up are incredibly slim.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #52855
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
He can lead all he likes, chances of me keeping up are incredibly slim.
I followed him around one day and it wasn't so bad. He was showing me the real easy stuff though. He asked me if I was A, B or C and I said F as in "Falling, Flailing, and Failing" lol
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #52856
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I followed him around one day and it wasn't so bad. He was showing me the real easy stuff though. He asked me if I was A, B or C and I said F as in "Falling, Flailing, and Failing" lol
I've been all over Perry, there's only a few things I won't attempt...mainly the sheer cliff-face climbs, but I'm not real fast at the moment.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #52857
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
18 is a great road, 20 is even better. Not much elevation changes on 'em, but great curvy roads with good scenery. I like to do the 18/20 loop and go back across the Ohio in a day. 18 and 20 were being worked on in the spring, but might be smooth sailing now.

I like them both better than 16....if I'm headed towards 219/Elkins.
Thanks - I didn't quite understand - since the ferry drops off right at 18/Sistersville - why run down along the river to get to 16. . .
I saw a couple of years ago that the coal mine collapse in French Lick is on Rt. 20. Probably smaller than the town in Justified. Isn't Dickie still on the lam?
As for 'not much elevation change' - my little experience down there was that if you weren't going up to the ridge or going down from the ridge, you were riding along a creek/river bed. Or just riding along the ridge.
I haven't been down to WV for a few years but it's always like getting back to 1963 - and I can use a some of that.
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 03:47 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #52858
Landon
Studly Adventurer
 
Landon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Lebanon, IN
Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
BTW - what do they charge for that ferry ride?

Advice and suggestions. . . . . .

Thx guys - BR
Its been a couple years since I rode 18 but I remember it being rough and in bad shape, maybe its been fixed since.

I think the ferry ride was free, I could be wrong though as it was a few years ago. Might have been a different ferry that was free.
__________________
Landon
06 Kaw KLX250s
09 Kaw Versys
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #52859
Whitey1
"Whitebread"
 
Whitey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Marion, Ohio
Oddometer: 9,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
$2


Hi Mike, I hope all is good and the family are doing well!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #52860
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,891
The ferry is $3 now.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014