Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #10051
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Byron, if you are coming over to the Gulf coast, I am always around the Veracruz area.
Let me know if you are planning on coming over. I'll be happy to show you some decent roads or meet up if you
are on the way and near the Puebla Veracruz or Oxaca Veracruz border.
Check out Garry Dymond over on the Horizons forum, he knows Mexico City, lives there, rides there, and is a very kind person.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #10052
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
A fine motorcycle is like a fine woman. To keep her charged and lubed, you must ride her hard at least once a week.
Gots the perfect engine.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #10053
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Suerte Byron!

Bato, some BMW guys made it to down to the Baluarte bridge this weekend and took some nice photos. The tallest bridge in the world! 400+ meters, located at the border of Durango and Sinaloa.

They say the highway will be done by November. Looks like they have their work cut out for them.
Hey SR Those pics are great., My foot has heal now I don't have to walk like John Wayne remember the mud spot it had truck tracks did you went through one of them i went through the middle i think it was 10"' deep" por mamon" Do you know if I owe them somethig dont remember if I paid anything at El Salto there or for the ambulance
But yea been thinking on going back to El Salto and thank personally the guys that took care of me at the hospital also the Hospital in Durango I gave them a hard time too.
Now the insurance gave the the option yo keep the wrecked bike for $ 500.00 there is this mechanic at Alamo BMW that works at his house on the side told me that it can be fixed with much less that what the dealer estimated wonder if I can imported to Mexico with a savage title /
While the plane was taxing before taking off saw like three helicopters seating at Durango airport do you know who own them
Recibe un saludo carnal espero verte pronto I love Duango

Bato screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 12:43 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #10054
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 857
Bato, Many of the cars running around in Mexico are imported with salvage titles. They are brought in wrecked and repaired then sold.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #10055
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Bato, Many of the cars running around in Mexico are imported with salvage titles. They are brought in wrecked and repaired then sold.
Think Im just going to part it out and try to get 2k as is
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #10056
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Hiya folks. I've been lurking this thread for a few months now and I finally have a question. This thread has been a welcome respite of knowledge against the torrent of BS the media throws at us about Mexico. It finally convinced me to take the plunge.

I don't mean for this to turn into any sort of flame war about "federales y banditos". But.... I recall some discussion about Tampico Transitos and their penchant for pulling motos over for a monetary "time out" at the north bypass Y-junction - something about busting motos for being in the left lane when you HAD to be in the left lane to exit on the bypass. Is this still a problem? Anybody have any other special little "time out" traps?

From what I understand this kind of thing occurs from time to time in parts of Latin America: Masaya road in Nicaragua, and the north road leading into Lima Peru for example.

I'm heading out within a few weeks for CA / SA and I'm just hoping to fish for a little bit of advance knowledge about the notorious traps. I know the best approach is to wait them out, play the "no fumar espanol" game, etc etc.

I apologize in advance for the gringo approach to this question. I'm new to LA.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #10057
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Hiya folks. I've been lurking this thread for a few months now and I finally have a question. This thread has been a welcome respite of knowledge against the torrent of BS the media throws at us about Mexico. It finally convinced me to take the plunge.

I don't mean for this to turn into any sort of flame war about "federales y banditos". But.... I recall some discussion about Tampico Transitos and their penchant for pulling motos over for a monetary "time out" at the north bypass Y-junction - something about busting motos for being in the left lane when you HAD to be in the left lane to exit on the bypass. Is this still a problem? Anybody have any other special little "time out" traps?

From what I understand this kind of thing occurs from time to time in parts of Latin America: Masaya road in Nicaragua, and the north road leading into Lima Peru for example.

I'm heading out within a few weeks for CA / SA and I'm just hoping to fish for a little bit of advance knowledge about the notorious traps. I know the best approach is to wait them out, play the "no fumar espanol" game, etc etc.

I apologize in advance for the gringo approach to this question. I'm new to LA.
4 bucks usually fixes a transito welcome to reality ...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #10058
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Don't worry.

The Tampico Transitos won't be back for at least one more week.

They're working as replacement refs for the NFL.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #10059
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,516
T minus 14 for Veracruz. Rally "La Ruta del Café" (the coffee route).

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #10060
DigiSeven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
looking for some riders to do san diego to cabo

For a few years i've been dreaming of doing the san diego to baja run, and i want to do it on my vintage bmw. I know its not a gs or adventure bike, but it would be alot of fun, and im just trying to find a few mates that might be down to do the ride in say april/may. Just watched the vice tv baja run and i am pumped.
DigiSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #10061
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Tampico transitos are nortorious, however things have been toned down a lot with the military patrols in the area.
Once you get into Veracruz you shouldn't have too many problems with transitos in urban areas, most are accompanied or being monitored by the Mexican Marines who are still handling security being the law and order here at least until around November when the new and improved police with bold new graphics debut.
That should prove interesting to say the least.
If you are planning on coming through here, let me know, Flowbee, I'll be happy to show you around if time permits.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #10062
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
That is hilarious.
A few big kingpins have been going down. Nuevo Laredo has been very violent lately. People have been driving back to the international bridge with gunshot wounds.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #10063
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,181
Hey MikeMike!

Is the time line set for the Vera Cruz Rally? I will probably be headed south in a few weeks and may stop in.

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #10064
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Don't worry.

The Tampico Transitos won't be back for at least one more week.

They're working as replacement refs for the NFL.
Why isn't there a LIKE button when you need it.....
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #10065
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hey MikeMike!

Is the time line set for the Vera Cruz Rally? I will probably be headed south in a few weeks and may stop in.

Donnie
Looks like I'm 4 weeks from heading south.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote