Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #1336
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
You guys hear the Warbonnett bridge came out?

Heck yes....I just ordered the Ridge runner yesterday.... very interested in trying a bridge style hammock!
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #1337
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'd like to hear a Eureka owner compare the RidgeRunner side by side.

There aren't many of us so I'm thinking it may be up to me to shell out the $$ for the ultimate test

No one here in the states is selling the eureka bridge hammock.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #1338
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
Heck yes....I just ordered the Ridge runner yesterday.... very interested in trying a bridge style hammock!
Judy got her RR dbl yesterday...I'm too hefty for it...and here's a few initial observations. It is a typical Warbonnet product, well designed and great quality construction. Very simple to set up but long for the Vario hammock stand as set up now (for the BB) , I'll have to adjust the stand and experiment some. The bed is shaped like an hour glass with the foot end narrower than the head end and the middle narrow. Full figured fellas (if within the 250 lb weight limit) will have some trouble in the 4 (aka jackknife) and fetal side sleeping positions due to the narrow middle section causing your legs to rest on the edge of the material. Speaking of full figured fellas, I had though of experimenting to see if it would hold my hog body (about 280). When Judy got in the spacer bars did flex slightly and she is considerably lighter than me...like 120 lbs less...so no go. She does like the feel much better than the Blackbird. even if the middle of the hourglass is even a bit narrow. More to follow.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #1339
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Sounds like a strange design choice....time will tell

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #1340
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
The bed is shaped like an hour glass with the foot end narrower than the head end and the middle narrow. Full figured fellas (if within the 250 lb weight limit) will have some trouble in the 4 (aka jackknife) and fetal side sleeping positions due to the narrow middle section causing your legs to rest on the edge of the material.
The Chrysalis is very similar in that respect and takes a bit of getting used to but the lack of a leg ridge is worth it.

How's the width at the head end, the Chrysalis is 41" so no shoulder issues at all. The BMBH didn't have the wasp waist so the edges are high but the shoulder squeeze was horrible, I finally knew what a sardine flet like. The Grizz Bridge a bit better but still too narrow for me.

Does the head end and foot end tighten up and then slope down after the spreader bars to make a bit of a pocket ? On the Chrysalis they both do so one end tightens up for a nice head rest making a pillow optional and the foot end lets your heels kind of float so there's no pressure on them and really no need for extra insulation as the bag's foot pocket doesn't get compressed.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #1341
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I figure maybe the hourglass shape adds to the stability while reducing shoulder squeeze? With Judy I saw absolutely no shoulder compression and the top is plenty wide (as is the foot). Brandon did some sort of trick sewing to make a slight pillow with raised nylon...Judy commented on this being nice and she is a big pillow person.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #1342
whotmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
issues with Camp rules

I am really interested in getting a hammock tent, Love the concept...but do you run into campsites that won't allow you to tie to trees? and how often to you hit these rules?
whotmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1343
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Tree straps have helped this issue quite a bit- I have not encountered any bans- but it does happen. Be sure you use straps and that if given the chance, educate the host or ranger about the difference this makes to the health of the trees. I believe FL state parks used to ban hammock camping, but lifted that ban after being educated about tree straps.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #1344
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Got to try out my Warbonnet Ridge runner over the last weekend. I used an Exped downmat 9 XL for my insulation and with temps in the low 40's it was a beautiful thing... just needed my sleeping bag as a blanket!

there is absolutely zero shoulder squeeze and i didnt notice any spreader bar flex even with my 235lbs inside.

with the air mattress 3/4 inflated i could easily sleep on my stomach with no hyper extension...the RR is for sure my new go -to hammock.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #1345
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,493
Racerman -
Is that a 16' Noah's tarp?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #1346
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, did not see answers in the pages I looked at. Never hammock camped before but as I get older I am getting less and less comfortable sleeping on the ground so I want to try hammock camping. Getting tired of waking up 10 times a night when my arm or goes to sleep or hip/shoulder hurts from pressing into the ground.

1) I sleep on my stomach and side, I have read it is possible in a hammock but does anyone really do it? Or is there something about sleeping in a hammock that allows stomach sleepers to sleep on their back?

2) What is the most cost effective way to try out hammock camping, I am looking for something that has a bug net and canopy, is not junk but doesn't break the bank?

3) In cold weather can I put my RidgeRest in the hammock and sleep on it to get insulation? I get cold easy when I sleep. Seems like that might not work since it is a stiffer pad.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #1347
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

I sleep in a "figure 4" partially on my side. "Bridge" style hammocks like the one pictured above allow side and stomach sleeping.

Cost effective? Try an Eno out- take a nap in it, or sleep in your basement and see how it goes. They can be had pretty cheap at REI sales- you could rig a bug net and tarp if you'd like to try camping in a hammock.

Double layer hammocks allow you to put a semi inflated sleeping pad between two layers of fabric beneath you- though most graduate to an underquilt eventually due to comfort and warmth advantages.

I graduated to hammock camping after getting fed up with tent camping and constantly being uncomfortable. I have back issues and find the hammock to be much better on my bad back after
a few nights out. Some folks recommend a cot when tent camping- but the bulk of a cot just doesn't appeal to me. The hammock system really pairs well with m/c, rafting, hiking trips.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #1348
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN View Post
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, did not see answers in the pages I looked at. Never hammock camped before but as I get older I am getting less and less comfortable sleeping on the ground so I want to try hammock camping. Getting tired of waking up 10 times a night when my arm or goes to sleep or hip/shoulder hurts from pressing into the ground.

1) I sleep on my stomach and side, I have read it is possible in a hammock but does anyone really do it? Or is there something about sleeping in a hammock that allows stomach sleepers to sleep on their back?

2) What is the most cost effective way to try out hammock camping, I am looking for something that has a bug net and canopy, is not junk but doesn't break the bank?

3) In cold weather can I put my RidgeRest in the hammock and sleep on it to get insulation? I get cold easy when I sleep. Seems like that might not work since it is a stiffer pad.

Thanks
I am a side back and stomach sleeper normally. In the hammock I usually sleep totally on my back, and rarely wake up more than 1 or 2 times during the night. Occasionally I'll sleep semi-side which due to the cradling of the hammock is pretty comfortable. I don't think you can really sleep on your stomach in any gathered end hammock. There's always a little bit of a banana lay so on your stomach you'll be bent backward.

Like Jabba said, stomach sleepers need a bridge style hammock. That's where the truly flat lay is.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1349
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Racerman -
Is that a 16' Noah's tarp?

Its the 12x12.

for my hammocks i set it up square with its own ridegline.... my tarp is the first thing setup at camp and the last thing taken down before i leave. Everything that needs to stay dry stays dry just the way i like it!

it also works well as a nice seating area in bad weather.... since i dont need to setup the hammock until bedtime it leaves a nice large area for socializing.... amazing how many new friends you make in a campground when you have cover!

Racerman27410 screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 05:59 PM
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #1350
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,493
Thanks! I've been using the same setup, just rigged a bit differently.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote