ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #52861
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
Ok just let me know whats going on and I will try to make it. I never have been there I usually just ride around here so it will be nice to try some where new.
Perry works for me, I usually eat breakfast in Somerset around 9 and then head to the trail head about 10...so anyone who wants to hit the dirt Sunday morning is welcome to join me.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #52862
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Maybe we can talk Kory into leading us around.
I'm out this weekend guys. I have to do some family crap. I'll be at the dual sport next weekend though...
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #52863
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Perry works for me, I usually eat breakfast in Somerset around 9 and then head to the trail head about 10...so anyone who wants to hit the dirt Sunday morning is welcome to join me.
I'll most likely truck the KTm down for a bit of riding, where you planning on having breakfast?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #52864
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I'll most likely truck the KTm down for a bit of riding, where you planning on having breakfast?
Little Phil's on the square, good breakfasts...but I heard they're under new management so I'm not sure if they're still open on Sunday mornings. If they're not Subway right across the square might have to do.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #52865
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Thanks for the condolences. It all started when my mom passed from a long battle with ALS (Lou Gehrigs). Although it paralyzed her from the waist down, everything seemed to be ok, she lasted more that 2x what the docs said she would. One night she has trouble breathing and ends up in the ER. over the next 48 hours it was all downhill. Next thing we knew, ICU, Hospice, then gone.

My mom and I had an "agreement" based on me not dying on my motorcycle. I never knew my grandfather (her father) because he was killed in a head on collision while riding his motorcycle home from work late one night. How many mom's do you know lost there fathers to a motorcycle death would allow their son to ride them and not only that, go with them to the races? She quit coming to the flat track races after she saw a guy go over the guardrail and my friends KTM500 cartwheel over the front of my CanAm 560 nearly taking my head off.

After watching what she went through, I'd gladly die instantly on the moto than how she did.

Tara's death was needless, it kind of set me off even more than the others in between, she was barely 30, just a kid, spent 2 days on life support before finally bleeding out. Many years ago a drunk took my cousin when she was little when he crashed into my Uncle Calvin's car. Then at my moms calling hours a woman came up to me and said something along the lines of "you don't know me, but I was the child in the car with your uncle when we were hit by a drunk that killed my mother". I always remembered those 2 crashes because 2 brothers both lost someone too a drunk driver.

I don't condemn people for drinking, it's when they go one too far.

Anyhow, again, thanks

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #52866
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
... If you had carried speed entering the woods and through the left hander before it got steep, you wouldn't have had as much trouble at the top. Accelerating up the hill is the hard way up.

After 3 years away from the dirt I'll get to see if I can still do what I'm talking about at the Baby Burr. I should get a motivational tape tp play while I'm riding, momentum momentum momentum stand up!

Some of the hills we did last week there was no real way to run at them, they were plugged up with guys rolling back down or staring up in fear.

If you are going to the Burr, let me know, maybe pool down there. If I ride the 640 (if I get new tires), I'll honk the horn every time you sit down

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #52867
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I'm expecting to (road) ride down to the Marlington, WV area very soon. I've been reading some posts above about crossing on the ferry at Fly, O. and then taking WV 2 down to WV 16. I see that 16 runs much further south than 18 but is there a reason to avoid 18? It seems that everyone is taking 16 (and avoiding US 250).

Then I look to go a little east toward Buckhannon and down WV 20.

Also, looking to take in the Skyline Drive and on into DC. I heard great things about SKD and I heard that it's 35 mph.

BTW - what do they charge for that ferry ride?

Advice and suggestions. . . . . .

Thx guys - BR
When you make it to Marlinton, there's an ADV friendly BBQ joint run by a retired couple who make a great pulled pork sandwich. Bull and Bear Restaurant, it's on 219 just south of town. Lenny and Carol are good people.

He's only open Thursday - Saturday from 5-8PM. It's just a retirement gig for them, but the food is great and the company even better.

Avoid the Greenbrier Grille. The view is pretty, but the food is mediocre and service is worse.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #52868
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
Looking forward to it.

Mind if I invite a buddy who's not on the forum?

by all means...the more the merrier...besides, it sounds like we lost indypup to a dirt ride in Perry

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #52869
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post

Also, looking to take in the Skyline Drive and on into DC. I heard great things about SKD and I heard that it's 35 mph.

Thx guys - BR

I've heard really good things about 50, which will take you most of the way to DC.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #52870
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,271
If thats us 50, it's nothing special between parkersburg and clarksburg. Or even to Athens or beyond west. Rolled along that road many times. Good conditions, just not fun.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #52871
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
by all means...the more the merrier...besides, it sounds like we lost indypup to a dirt ride in Perry
Nope, I said I'd join you and I will. ;) I'll get my dirt fix at the Baby Burr ride.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #52872
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
If thats us 50, it's nothing special between parkersburg and clarksburg. Or even to Athens or beyond west. Rolled along that road many times. Good conditions, just not fun.
Above the Monongahela, 50 has some awesome twisties, but there are a lot of places where it's not anything spectacular.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #52873
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post

as I said, I've HEARD good things about that road....and looking at it on google maps, it looks like its pretty twisty east of Clarksburg til Winchester, VA

on an unrelated note, theres a town called Gormania in Maryland along that road...just thought that was amusing

Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #52874
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
as I said, I've HEARD good things about that road....and looking at it on google maps, it looks like its pretty twisty east of Clarksburg til Winchester, VA

on an unrelated note, theres a town called Gormania in Maryland along that road...just thought that was amusing
US50 from Parkersburg to Clarksburg is 4-lane divided. I think of it as "interstate 50" and use it to make quick time if needed. East of Grafton over to, say, the VA broder is about 100 miles of great riding. Plenty of mountains to traverse and lots of fun. Gormania has a lot of railroad history and is interesting to see. Takes you back 100 years to roll through there.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #52875
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,195
Anyone want to ride dirt Saturday? Maybe Tar Hollow stuff? KLR friendly or not...

(Luke what about Hidden Spring Ranch? Want to use your get in for free card? )
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote