Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #25381
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
But are you faster with it on?
Who cares? If you look good, you don't need to go fast!

M
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #25382
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I've been having a good year racing the OMBC, been winning my class, Novice Clydesdale, getting my pick at the prize table every race. I'm enjoing it now, next year racing Sport I'll be lucky to see the podium. I've carried home a couple of tires and a saddle, but this weekend I managed to snag a 70% discount voucher for Velocity Wheels good for up to $700. Wow.

So looking at their 29er wheelsets...

http://store.velocityusa.com/product...3064.79421.0.0

I'm thinking that the Blunt SL Comp make the most sense for me. I weigh 220 & tend to plow through things... The pro builds use Sapim bladed spokes in a 2x lacing vs the double butted dt's on the comp build, laced 3x. Assuming I upgrade to alloy nipples the pro wheelset is only 170 grams lighter. Should I conisider the wider P35 rims?
P35's build up a great wheel. I run about 200lb and they work great for me for everything from enduro type riding to dirt jumping. I have 29" on my stumpy and 26" on my DJ.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #25383
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I've been having a good year racing the OMBC, been winning my class, Novice Clydesdale, getting my pick at the prize table every race. I'm enjoing it now, next year racing Sport I'll be lucky to see the podium. I've carried home a couple of tires and a saddle, but this weekend I managed to snag a 70% discount voucher for Velocity Wheels good for up to $700. Wow.

So looking at their 29er wheelsets...

http://store.velocityusa.com/product...3064.79421.0.0

I'm thinking that the Blunt SL Comp make the most sense for me. I weigh 220 & tend to plow through things... The pro builds use Sapim bladed spokes in a 2x lacing vs the double butted dt's on the comp build, laced 3x. Assuming I upgrade to alloy nipples the pro wheelset is only 170 grams lighter. Should I conisider the wider P35 rims?
As others mentioned, I'd go with the standard P35.

The extra width will make for a more laterally stiff rim. It'll, also, add more air volume, which results in a better ride. And, you'll end up with a wider footprint. Lastly, the standard, 3X and brass nipples are plenty adequate. Generally, the higher the build (less weight), the less durable and lower the weight capacity.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #25384
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,597
Fat riders

Last Saturday I rode with a racer dude I'd previously only 'met' on line. He holds many of the KOM's at local trails, and has done some grueling races that I wouldn't even think of attempting. When we met in person for the first time, I was shocked to see how fat he was! I don't mean to suggest that he's morbidly obese, but he could easily lose 50 lbs. I can't understand how he could ride so fast and have so much endurance, given all that extra weight he's carrying around. Wouldn't that be an enormous liability for a bicycle racer?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #25385
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Last Saturday I rode with a racer dude I'd previously only 'met' on line. He holds many of the KOM's at local trails, and has done some grueling races that I wouldn't even think of attempting. When we met in person for the first time, I was shocked to see how fat he was! I don't mean to suggest that he's morbidly obese, but he could easily lose 50 lbs. I can't understand how he could ride so fast and have so much endurance, given all that extra weight he's carrying around. Wouldn't that be an enormous liability for a bicycle racer?
Maybe it's the bike.......
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #25386
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
P35's build up a great wheel. I run about 200lb and they work great for me for everything from enduro type riding to dirt jumping. I have 29" on my stumpy and 26" on my DJ.
I forgot to add. A buddy of mine runs P35's to build some very competitive XC hardtails. He is also around 200 and is very strong.

Very versatile rim.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #25387
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
. Wouldn't that be an enormous liability for a bicycle racer?
Only going uphill

The rest is power vs aerodynamics. The guy I rode with last nite (C) is a big guy. He's NOT fat tho. The minute the road goes up, he (and I) are OTB as the skinny SOBs climb away from us

M
Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #25388
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Only going uphill

The rest is power vs aerodynamics. The guy I rode with last nite (C) is a big guy. He's NOT fat tho. The minute the road goes up, he (and I) are OTB as the skinny SOBs climb away from us

M
Considering only the physics of bicycling, that's true. But I'm thinking of the added strain on his pulmonary system in supplying oxygen and nutrients to all those fat cells. It's not the same as wearing a backpack filled with 50 lbs of rocks. That would be bad enough, but being fat means that his body is expending a lot more energy than mine just keeping those fat cells alive.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #25389
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe it's the bike.......
Yeah, that's it. His bike must be 50 lbs lighter than mine.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #25390
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Considering only the physics of bicycling, that's true. But I'm thinking of the added strain on his pulmonary system in supplying oxygen and nutrients to all those fat cells. It's not the same as wearing a backpack filled with 50 lbs of rocks. That would be bad enough, but being fat means that his body is expending a lot more energy than mine just keeping those fat cells alive.
I'm not worried about his lungs. His heart though
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #25391
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
As of last weekend, I've officially made the transition from flats to clipless pedals.

Just thought you'd all like to know.
I am kind of in the same boat. I ride clipless on road, have for years. I never really liked clipless off-road..... About 2 months ago I thought I should give it a try again. Voile! I like it. Maybe it's the new pedals (I am running Time ATAC instead of Shimano 858s), I don't know, I am sold.

I still ride platforms on my DJ........ and trials.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #25392
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Quote:
Endurance and body fat ratio are not directly proportional. Look at Sumo wrestlers and long distance ocean swimmers....both typically have body's that would look to be fat to most people, but both also have great endurance.

Fat is not really using that much oxygen at all..only enough to exist. Fat is a secondary fuel source for the body. Its the muscles that use the oxygen in doing their job..and obviously carb storages(glycogen in muscles). Fat is also lighter than muscle or bone..so the "extra" weight he is carry is deceiving as far as its actual weight.

Food for thought.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #25393
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am kind of in the same boat. I ride clipless on road, have for years. I never really liked clipless off-road..... About 2 months ago I thought I should give it a try again. Voile! I like it. Maybe it's the new pedals (I am running Time ATAC instead of Shimano 858s), I don't know, I am sold.

I still ride platforms on my DJ........ and trials.
There are two instructors I know who swear by flats, but their ultra-aggressive style of riding doesn't really lend itself to clipless anyway. They do things like dragging a foot while cornering and change foot position a lot when riding, which clipless pedals aren't designed for. I find that I have to concentrate on my pedaling technique a lot more when riding clipless off road, but the 20% power increase is well worth the effort. And of course I no longer have to worry about my feet slipping off the pedals when the bike is bouncing around under me, or when shifting gears aggressively.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #25394
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,817
Danger. Pain ahead

Against my better judgement, I've tentatively scheduled the Texas Rando Stampede 1200. They run this one every two years and while their site hasn't been updated yet, it'll kick off on 5/1/13.

750 miles, < 90 hours (hopefully), Texas Hill Country....what could possibly go wrong?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #25395
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Against my better judgement, I've tentatively scheduled the Texas Rando Stampede 1200. They run this one every two years and while their site hasn't been updated yet, it'll kick off on 5/1/13.

750 miles, < 90 hours (hopefully), Texas Hill Country....what could possibly go wrong?

Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: