Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #91
summerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Exactly! Brings an old saying to mind about the poor carpenter who blames his tools.

I started this thread to hear from folks who have ridden or maybe have seen the NC700X in person but so far it seems that those individuals have not spoken up. Since I already have a very dirt capable DS bike and I don't have a lot of cash, I got excited when I saw this model from Honda as a possible replacement for my aging KLR 650 for making longish rides and for commuting back and forth to work. I would throw on some DS tires and fabricate some sort of bash plate but it would probably only see gravel roads and perhaps a jeep trail or two. It is 500lbs after all. From what I've read in reviews, I think it will fit the bill nicely for me but I was hoping to hear some first hand experiences from a trusted source. Thanks for your inputs so far.
I think it would be fine. I like the looks of it. I suspect it is the modern version of the 750 nighthawk.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #92
jcbrandon
Just a guy

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
I started this thread to hear from folks who have ridden or maybe have seen the NC700X in person but so far it seems that those individuals have not spoken up. Since I already have a very dirt capable DS bike and I don't have a lot of cash, I got excited when I saw this model from Honda as a possible replacement for my aging KLR 650 for making longish rides and for commuting back and forth to work. ...I was hoping to hear some first hand experiences ...
I got to spend a week with the Honda NC700X recently. Put several hundred miles on it, including one long day of more than 370 miles.

I like the bike a lot. I ride a 2005 KLR650 and have been wanting something that is more comfortable and has better performance on the street, especially on mountain roads. Was thinking about getting a used Triumph Tiger 800XC. After the time on the NC700X, I'm more likely to get the Honda for the pavement and keep my KLR for real dual-sport kind of stuff.

The Honda is comfortable, looks to be well-built, very affordable, and really fun to ride. With the power down low in the rev range, and me being familiar with the KLR, riding the NC700X was an easy transition. I rode with some guys who have a lot of experience on bigger bikes with a lot more horsepower. On the NC700X they frequently bumped into the rev limiter at 6400 rpm. That only happened to me once. The sweet spot on the Honda seemed to be in the 4,000 to 5,000 rpm range. But with the torque curve fairly flat and coming on very low you can stay below 3,500 rpm and still get around just fine. If you do that you can expect to get more than 70 miles to the gallon (US) of fuel. That will give you a usable range of at least 250 miles on a tank of gas.

The NC700X weighs about 50 pounds more than my KLR. The DCT version is 80 pounds heavier than the KLR. But both feel lighter and more maneuverable than the Kawasaki. It feels like the weight is down between your ankles, rather than up above your knees.

The integrated storage is a great feature. You'll get used to it very quickly and then miss it when you get back on another bike. Honda offers a 12-volt power outlet that mounts inside the storage compartment so you can charge your phone and camera while you ride and they are protected from the weather. It would be trivial to add some USB ports in there as well. Having secure and hidden storage for your helmet when you stop for lunch is a really nice benefit.

I was lucky enough to ride both the manual transmission and the DCT version. Both are nice. I like the DCT a lot. That engine and transmission combination is a very sweet set up. It's really fun on twisty canyon roads. It let me shift gears in milliseconds which means I could give more mental energy to my riding technique, rather than the mechanics of operating the motorcycle. Here in the US the DCT version of the bike costs $2,000 more than the manual transmission version. That could be an issue for some buyers who are on a very tight budget. For $2,000 you could buy some really nice riding gear, or luggage and a camping setup, or a lot of fuel.

For what I would spend on that used Triumph 800XC I could buy the Honda with the DCT transmission, put some money into improving my KLR650, and still have some cash left over. I won't have a 90-horsepower motorcycle. But I will have two bikes that each do what I want them to do pretty darn well.
jcbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #93
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,540
Thanks for sharing. I am searching for a more street oriented motorcycle. I am narrowing it down to four right now.

I got to sit on a Honda N700X, and if felt really good. Very light! So, I am thinking V-Strom 650, then to really make it confusing KTM 990SMT, or 990 Adventure. The one problem is I would like to take my wife on some longer rides,
than we do on the KLR. She sat on the Honda and hated the seat. She likes the Adventure, and V-Strom seats.
I would like to get something that is more street oriented, because I have never owned a motorcycle with a "17 front wheel. I really like the Honda. Very practical, 990 SMT, not so practical. May have to see the shrink.

I think there could be some aftermarket seat in the new future for the Honda. That would make a huge difference for
my wife.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #94
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbrandon View Post
I got to spend a week with the Honda NC700X recently. Put several hundred miles on it, including one long day of more than 370 miles.

For what I would spend on that used Triumph 800XC I could buy the Honda with the DCT transmission, put some money into improving my KLR650, and still have some cash left over. I won't have a 90-horsepower motorcycle. But I will have two bikes that each do what I want them to do pretty darn well.
Thanks for sharing your experience J. I was thinking that Thumper guys wouldn't miss the revs as much.
You're right in saying that for the same money (or less!) you could have 2 bikes. The problem with that is that if you're like me you can only ride one at a time. So you ride the one that's smooth and comfortable, get to the gnarly roads where you'd rather be on the other one, then ride them on the "A-bike" anyway! At least you'll be able to buy an air-pump with your upgrade budget, air down for off-pavement sections, back up for asphalt.

The other option is a false choice anyway, a used 800XC? What's that? I've never seen one.
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #95
jcbrandon
Just a guy

I'm optimistic on the used Triumph. Naive; but optimistic.

I'm also fortunate to have zillions of miles of great roads right out the end of my driveway. Both kinds, paved and dirt. If I had to ride any significant distance to get to good dirt the equation would change a lot. I would move to a better place.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #96
JoeWannaB OP
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,907
JCBrandon,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that up. That is exactly the info I was hoping for when I started this thread. I think that at the price range of the NCX, people are going to start getting creative to turn that platform into a true adventure bike. It's only been in this country for what? 6 months at best? If Honda will continue the line, I bet it could become a real competitor to the KLR as a low cost adventure platform with a huge aftermarket. I'm thinking really hard about getting myself one. Only problem is I've never bought a new motorcycle in my life. My newest bike in the stable right now is a '90. I don't want to wait that long on this one so I might have to break my own rule. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #97
jcbrandon
Just a guy

Glad I could offer something of value. And thank you for asking the questions.

The connection between the KLR650 and the NC700X is intriguing. I know lots of riders rarely take their KLRs off the pavement. Those folks would probably be a good match for the NC700X in its current form. We've seen KLRs done up as supermoto bikes. Would be very interesting to see this approach on the Honda.

The NC700X is much more of a street bike than the KLR650. I'll be watching for the first reports from guys who have put on knobby tires and gone out on the dirt. The main similarities I see between the two bikes are affordability, low-end torque, and broad practicality.

If Honda were to produce a knobbies-and-bashplate version of the NC700X it might be a serious competitor to the KLR650. But that bike paid for its development costs many years ago. Kawasaki could probably drop the price by 30 percent and still make a decent profit on it.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #98
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
JCBrandon,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that up. That is exactly the info I was hoping for when I started this thread. I think that at the price range of the NCX, people are going to start getting creative to turn that platform into a true adventure bike. It's only been in this country for what? 6 months at best? If Honda will continue the line, I bet it could become a real competitor to the KLR as a low cost adventure platform with a huge aftermarket. I'm thinking really hard about getting myself one. Only problem is I've never bought a new motorcycle in my life. My newest bike in the stable right now is a '90. I don't want to wait that long on this one so I might have to break my own rule. Thanks again for sharing.
Honda actually is extending the NC line. Hopefully they will annoucne their new NC platform model @intermot, Germany next week. I'll be there so picture will follow if it shows up!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/09/2...north-america/
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #99
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
Honda actually is extending the NC line. Hopefully they will annoucne their new NC platform model @intermot, Germany next week. I'll be there so picture will follow if it shows up!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/09/2...north-america/
Sounds like an NC1200 is in the works. Or an NC900. Half a civic motor?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #100
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I have read several actual riders of the NC 700 refer to it as a great beginners bike.I am wondering what this means. I currently have a Harley Road King Classic and a Honda VTX 1300. I was considering trading the Honda on the NC because I wanted to ride some dirt or unimproved roads, but no real dirt riding. BTW, I have been riding rode bikes for over 30 years. I would appreciate comments.

Best
Greg Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #101
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wildwood View Post
I have read several actual riders of the NC 700 refer to it as a great beginners bike.I am wondering what this means. I currently have a Harley Road King Classic and a Honda VTX 1300. I was considering trading the Honda on the NC because I wanted to ride some dirt or unimproved roads, but no real dirt riding. BTW, I have been riding rode bikes for over 30 years. I would appreciate comments.

Best
A good beginner's bike is one that is easy to ride, i.e. not too heavy, easy to balance, good low down torque so the clutch doesn't have to be slipped or the engine revved up to take off from a stop, etc.

Doesn't mean that its bad for an experienced rider, or that you're going to outgrow it real soon.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #102
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
It looks like an ADV bike in the same way that a Honda CRV looks like a Range Rover. They might look roughly the same but that doesn't mean they are equally capable
+1

I agree with you 100%

The CRV will start everytime.

Tman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #103
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
A good beginner's bike is one that is easy to ride, i.e. not too heavy, easy to balance, good low down torque so the clutch doesn't have to be slipped or the engine revved up to take off from a stop, etc.

Doesn't mean that its bad for an experienced rider, or that you're going to outgrow it real soon.
Thanks for your comments, Mobiker. I traded the VTX 1300 for a 2012 Nc700 on Saturday. I love twisties and will provide comments to the forum after I log some miles.

Best
Greg Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #104
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I saw my first 700 at my local Baton Rouge dealer today. Price tag read $6399, no additional fees added. It looks very well put together. I have been thinking of adding it to my stable of one, a 2011 Tiger 800 roadie. I didn't see anything to dissuade me in terms of looks. This thing is beautiful.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #105
edgey999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi

I have an NC700X (UK) and have put 5k miles on it.

Average fuel consumption is 78.5mpg (UK) and it has never gone wrong. Very cheap to run (rear tyre half worn, chain adjusted once), good handling and quick enough in the real world. Storage is ace and its pretty comfortable.

My fuely figures are here http://www.fuelly.com/driver/edgey/nc700x
edgey999 is offline   Reply With Quote