Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlip View Post
Does anybody make footpeg mounts for it? Replace those ugly things along with that muffler and pull the plastic covers off of the frame and it wouldn't be too bad. Better yet, BRING BACK THE SV650!

took my buddy about 45 minutes to remove the covers, put on a nice sounding $160 exhaust, and put an undertail on his gladius. Transformed it
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
I'd like to see pics of those mods!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #18
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post

IMO, the FI SV650s never got as good as teh original carb'ed SV650s, the Gladius sorted out some of the aluminum frame caused handling characters, make the ride much better. FI on the Gladius seems better than the 03-09 SV650s, especially the on/off throttle response.
Gladius/SFV650 is a fantastic bike for the price and performance, well over the SV650s in the past.
ABS? who needs brakes, they only slow you down.
All that ^

The 650 Suzuki twin is turning into one of their all time great engines, and the bikes they wrap around it are going to be tomorrow's mod bases.

I don't see what the big problem is. It's a cheap bike. If you don't like something on it, just change it. Don't be a little bitch and complain because a global corporation rolled a bike out that a wage slave can afford and didn't build it exactly for you.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
All that ^

The 650 Suzuki twin is turning into one of their all time great engines, and the bikes they wrap around it are going to be tomorrow's mod bases.

I don't see what the big problem is. It's a cheap bike. If you don't like something on it, just change it. Don't be a little bitch and complain because a global corporation rolled a bike out that a wage slave can afford and didn't build it exactly for you.
You can't blame people for being upset about the beating Suzuki gave the SV 650 with the ugly stick. The Gladius will probably put a 650 Versys or a Hyosung in my garage someday. Both bikes are within the reach of a "wage slave".

Honestly I don't know how much better the Gladius is over an SV because the first time I saw it, I imediately googled something else.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #20
desmoface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
What have they done?

Ugh, the latest incarnation makes my ole sv look amazingly good

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity
desmoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
You can't blame people for being upset about the beating Suzuki gave the SV 650 with the ugly stick. The Gladius will probably put a 650 Versys or a Hyosung in my garage someday. Both bikes are within the reach of a "wage slave".

Honestly I don't know how much better the Gladius is over an SV because the first time I saw it, I imediately googled something else.
See, I don't have a problem with the way it looks. And I wonder if a lot of the hubbub has more to do with how the collective motorcycle culture believes it's ugly, so then it becomes famously ugly.

It's not the best looking bike, but none of the nakeds these days are real lookers except for the Italian stuff. IMO.

A bargain bike with a 90* twin that sounds good after a set of cans and is bulletproof?

I'm beginning to realize that maybe I'm just a cheap bastard and find beauty in thrift.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I like the way it looks, but I generally like the looks of bikes most people think are ugly, I think it has to do with growing up with the 80's Japanese cartoons.

I doubt it will be any great sales success, unless they do some serious marketing. The last one ended up left over and discounted like crazy.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
I'm personally waiting for Suzuki to produce a TU650X with the LS650 motor in it ... especially now that the Savage/S40 has been equipped with EFI for 2013!!! Wow, never thought I'd see that and totally believed that 2012 would have been the last year for the beloved LS ...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
What have they done?

Ugh, the latest incarnation makes my ole sv look amazingly good

Indeed, and there wasn't much reason to try to gussy that up. Naked bikes that are not also "ultra badass streetfighters" aren't that popular here, though. Too bad.

Shit like this will put me on an R1200R well before my time.

These things need to be lightish, have ABS as an option, be genuinely naked, and have ok aftermarket support for things like luggage and windscreens, coupled with a half decent dealer network.

Kawasaki probably assumed there just was no market for the er6n in the states and never considered how rediculous the front looked:

compare with:

and:

Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
You all get that Suzuki is mimicking the "styling" of the Ducati Monster 796, right? With maybe a little KTM thrown in. Marketing for the European segment, where they buy motorcycles as daily transportation, and not just recreational vehicles (e.g. "toys"), and where sales are still stronger than in NA.

The engine is the same, yes? The FI is a little bettery, yes? This thread is the first where I read that the frame / handling is better - didn't lots of people race the SV-650 in class? Everyone changes / personalized their bikes anyway, right? Buy a good bike and CHANGE its looks! [Or buy a new EX-650R and find a way to add luggage to the gutted rear subframe.]

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,529
there's probably a correlation between the number of gay men working in the Suzuki design office (or more likely Design Consultants office) and the increasing sweetcheeks nature of the SV over the years.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
there's probably a correlation between the number of gay men working in the Suzuki design office (or more likely Design Consultants office) and the increasing sweetcheeks nature of the SV over the years.
That's right, because curves are homosexual! Real men hate curves.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
I'm personally waiting for Suzuki to produce a TU650X with the LS650 motor in it ... especially now that the Savage/S40 has been equipped with EFI for 2013!!! Wow, never thought I'd see that and totally believed that 2012 would have been the last year for the beloved LS ...
I can't say I love the style of the S40 (much prefer the look of the TU) but I missed that it now has FI. Thank you for pointing that out. Seems odd that FI is not listed in the "Features" section of the website description.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Styling aside, I can't believe they saddled it with such a small tank. At least the seat looks semi-comfortable, because SV's had the absolute worst saddles in motorcycling. ,BK
Old 09-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
ifstewart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbutslow View Post
Styling aside, I can't believe they saddled it with such a small tank. At least the seat looks semi-comfortable, because SV's had the absolute worst saddles in motorcycling. ,BK
My 06 was my favorite bike until I got my 12wee glee, but you are right, that seat was heinous! The factory gel seat was not much better.
ifstewart is offline   Reply With Quote