User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
rs42sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Cool2

I like roadRUNNER motorcycle touring & travel.... To me it seems like the magazine has a higher maturity level than the other magazines out there... I like the real reviews on gear that ppl will actually wear and use, and they usually have a camping section too.... There mini RRs are great to read and have some interesting locations around the world here's the linky..... http://www.roadrunner.travel/
2009 Burgman 400 traded at 9424 miles
2007 Kymco People S 250-traded at 7860 miles
rs42sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,324
Easyriders. Great in depth articles on gear and bikes.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
The UK bike magazines are available by subscription in the US through Motorsport Publications. BIKE is $64 a year. Not cheap, but a lot better than buying from a news stand. They also have RiDE, Performance Bikes , Motorcycle Sport and Leisure and many classic motorcycle mags. I have used these folks before and gotten good service.

http://classicbikebooks.com/catalog/...7sb069o54809o5
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 461
Fave would have to be Canadian Biker ... not only 'cause I'm a Kanuck, but 'cause it's generally a good rag ... another good Kanuck motorcycle mag is Motorcycle Mojo. Don't really have a least fave ... always manage to find something interesting to read in every motorcycle magazine I've ever had in my hands!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Cycle also was my favorite when I first got interested in motorcycles around 1990, and then I turned into a serious magazine junkie throughout the nineties. Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Superbike, Performance Bike, Bike, TWO and the occasional Rider and Fast Bikes. I've also had intermittent subscriptions to Motorcycle Consumer News.

I still pretty consistently buy Cycle World and Motorcyclist. For British mags I usually pick up Bike if it has something of interest to me. Performance Bike, if you like to read about sportbikes, has really come around in the last few years. It went through a kind of cartoonish phase for awhile and wasn't worth reading.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
I like Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News pretty good. I've also got a sub to Cycle World. Its ok, but if a sub wasn't cheap, I'd drop it.

I no longer care for Motorcyclist. I too noticed it was writing for a much younger audience than me. Its a legitimate business model I suppose, but doesn't interest me. I liked that they used to publish ergo measurements with their road tests, but the last few issues I saw, most of their tests were a half page long with no actual measured data. Not just ergos, but weights, mpgs, etc. I also don't care much for Jaime Eldvidge (sp? don't care enough to look it up).
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
Duck Dodgers
Rock n Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 501
Cycle Rags

Motorcycle Consumer News, Road Runner and Rider. MCN, IMHO was better a decade ago. Road Runner is good for touring and their onlne content, Rider a decent all rounder.

Some off the niche' rags are gone Dual Sport news, etc.

I really used enjoy the foriegn rags at the bookstore/newsstand. I stopped reading them. I was sick of reading about bikes I can't buy.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
While as a bike junkie i do buy other magazines,I prefer Brit magazine BIKE.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
llamabomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
+1 on RoadRunner & MCN. Both are great publications, MCN has the best reviews and comparisons in my opinion, very detailed and they don't gloss over any flaws.
llamabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabomb View Post
+1 on RoadRunner & MCN. Both are great publications, MCN has the best reviews and comparisons in my opinion, very detailed and they don't gloss over any flaws.

+2

I highly recommend MCN. Expensive, but worth it.

I like the travel articles in RR, as well as the focus on Cruisers, Sport Tourers, and Adventure bikes.

Motorcyclist - I gave up on them ages ago. They were just too "Hunter S. Thompson" for me. And Cycle World? BORING! and I don't care what Roland Sands is doing.

There is a magazine out of the NY area that I like. I pick it up off the newstand from time to time. Can't think of the name of it though...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Easyriders. Great in depth articles on gear and bikes.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 766
MCN by FAR is the best US publication. CW for Jack Lewis, Rider is OK. BIKE and MCN from the UK are great reads. +1 on the US sub for them. $64.00 per year but then again you get real info. from them.
KingOfFleece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,232
Showing how old I am, I think I still have (hidden somewhere) the first issue of Cycle magazine I bought in 1970. That was shortly after Cook Nielson took over the magazine. It has a picture of Dick Mann's Daytona-winning Honda 750 on the cover. It also had a short article on the Yamaha Mini-Enduro (JT-1), which was my dream bike at the time. The magazine's high water mark was when Nielson and Shilling ran the Hot Rod.

Now, I prefer Performance Bike from the UK (I subscribe). Lots of stuff about older bikes and how to keep them on the road, willing to say tough stuff about bikes they're reviewing. Fun features like their monthly Garages, and Guy Martin is a columnist.

Bike is good as well (I subscribe to this, too), but it was awesome ten years ago when Dan Walsh was writing for them. The best motorcycle writer ever. Buy a copy of his assembled aritings, These are the Days That Must Happen to You. Brilliant stuff. Damon l'Anson was good, too, but did not stay that long.

CW and Motorcyclist? Meh. I might buy them if I see them on the rack in the supermarket.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
To be honest, I was disappointed with RoadRunner. Yes the maturity was there, but nothing about the bikes. Maybe if you are not that interseted in motorcycles as a hobby, but only as a means of getting there, it is a fine travel mag.

I used to subscribe to Sport Rider, but it is the polar opposite or RoadRunner. The articles were entirely about the latest crop of bikes, and how they compare. As a buyer's guide, it was great.

Motorcycle News is a better magazine for those who want to keep up on all products related to motorcycles, not just the bikes.

I have been enjoying 2 publications new to my area: ADVMoto and Motorcycle Escape. ADV has only 6 issues per year, and Escape has only 4. You can only susbscribe to ADVMoto. Escape must be bought at the store, and is hard for me to find. ADVMoto seemed a bit heavy in advertisements, so I finished the whole mag too quickly. I liked it though, so I subscribed in hopes it would go to a 12 issue schedule eventually. Escape is a great magazine (at least the one issue I found so far while away on business). It is pretty focussed on ADV style riding, however, but that's fine by me.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #30
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I read, Rider , Motorcycle classics , Baggers , & of course Ironbutt (a good mix , i would say)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote