Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3601
Lastcard
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Not 700 but I did a 500 mile round trip back in June.
Standard withABS and stock screen but with DP Touring seat.
Could easily have done another 500!!!
I love this bike
Have Altrider front exhaust guard,rad and oil cooler guards and am looking at getting Touratech luggage this Autumn(sorry Fall!)
12000+ miles. I didn't feel the need for the ohlins setup but I really like the power modes.
Only bike in 4 years I've kept for longer than 14 months! I reckon on keeping it a lot longer too!
Lastcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #3602
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,773
Posted elsewhere......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Here's an excerpt from a MultiStrada test

"Ducati have sold 20,500 Multistrada 1200s since its launch in 2010 and it surprised me to see that, for 80% of buyers, this was their first Ducati. They ride, on average, 50% more than the typical Ducati owner (no jokes, please) and the stat that stands out most is that the previous bike MTS1200 owners came from is equally split between sportsbikes, naked bikes and adventure bikes."

The reason this is probably somewhat pertinent in this thread is that many Ducatisti thought that Ducati was getting soft by expanding their efforts beyond purity of hardcore sport bikes (the same thing happened when they came out with the ST bikes, the original MultiStrada, and the Diavel).

What all these bikes did/do (in addition to providing the faithful to spend more money with them as their riding requirements evolve) for Ducati is make them more attractive to a new audience that they can capture. More sales, more money, better company health/future.

Oh, and what was one of the things Ducati did with the improved financial health? The 1098/1198/Panigale. So much for getting soft

Keep the faith whiners-- KTM is probably smarter than you.

The full MS test is here
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/21476.html

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #3603
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
The particular bike I'm looking at is non-abs .. Deal breaker? My ultra classic had abs and it about killed me a couple times.
donutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #3604
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcard View Post
Not 700 but I did a 500 mile round trip back in June.
Standard withABS and stock screen but with DP Touring seat.
Could easily have done another 500!!!
I love this bike
Have Altrider front exhaust guard,rad and oil cooler guards and am looking at getting Touratech luggage this Autumn(sorry Fall!)
12000+ miles. I didn't feel the need for the ohlins setup but I really like the power modes.
Only bike in 4 years I've kept for longer than 14 months! I reckon on keeping it a lot longer too!
Ive had the same issue with bike turnover. I'm looking forth bike that I want to ride.. 4 bikes in 5 years and I think the MTS might be th hit. I love th k16Gt I just returned but I think it ends up not being something I could be spontaneous with.

You guys are providing a nice perspective for me
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #3605
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutrider View Post
The particular bike I'm looking at is non-abs .. Deal breaker? My ultra classic had abs and it about killed me a couple times.
I don't think that the ABS or lack thereof is a deal breaker. I have had ABS on a few bikes and can't say that I've actually needed it very often. I do feel that I'm a little bit more aware of my braking habits on this bike because is doesn't have ABS. Maybe if I commuted and had to deal with slick streets on a routine basis I would be more biased toward ABS.

On riding around here in the Rapid City area and the surrounding Black Hills, I've noticed that the heavily traveled roads are pretty greasy, probably due to the lack of any significant rainfall in the last few months. In my normal riding, I don't have any of the problems with the roads being fouled the way they appear to be around here. The only thing that I can relate it to is commuting in the Seattle area during a dry period, then when it does rain, watch out for all the oil and crap washing out of the road surface, like riding on marbles.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #3606
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Not to thread jack, but can you explain this? How did "ABS about kill you a couple times"?

I've never had a time on the road when I actually wanted to lock up a front or rear wheel. Or does this fall under the "...yep....'bout had to lay 'er down or Ida been killed" mentality...

not trying to be a prick, just curious...

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #3607
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
about the abs

I think the MTS brakes are pretty amazing and almost never engage the ABS. I say "almost" because I hit a deer and although did some damage to the bike I didn't fall and I credit the ABS with allowing me to slow down and stay in control as I punted the deer. I know the "experts" don't think ABS is necessary, but for me, it exists for that reason - some totally unexpected problem on possibly questionable terrain or traction. I don't have ABS on my track bike or my dirt bike, but I think its a solid idea on a street bike. I think the deer strike is the only time I have really noticed it, and it more than paid for itself.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #3608
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Not to thread jack, but can you explain this? How did "ABS about kill you a couple times"?

I've never had a time on the road when I actually wanted to lock up a front or rear wheel. Or does this fall under the "...yep....'bout had to lay 'er down or Ida been killed" mentality...

not trying to be a prick, just curious...

Your lack of perspective caused you to be curious hence no choice but to be a prick..
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #3609
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

I can see all th advantages of DTS and ABS simply because the bike is so light. I would feel much better with ABS. DTS is standard on all MTS models right?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #3610
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
All have DTC. I turned mine off, it rides much better with out it on rough roads (and you can't turn it off on the fly).

I suspect ABS would be similar, if you only ride smooth roads, it's probably helpful. Anywhere with washboard or similar it can be a pain as it defeats the brakes if you get chatter. (or at least that's how it's worked on other vehicles I have had it on, can't speak to the ABS on the Multi since I don't have it, but I assume it would be similar to the DTC). I believe it is defeatable on the Ducati, so I don't see having it as a downside, but for normal or bad road riding, I think it's a pro to not have it. Maybe in track situation it would be a big help or if you do end up in black ice situations.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #3611
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
How many of you have put in a 700+ mile day in the saddle on an MS? I did 775 yesterday on th K16GT and was wondering if it was even possible on a MS without th cruise control and extra wind protection.
I've risen my standard non ABS MTS1200 from houston, TX to Albuquerque, NM in a single day. If I remember correctly this is about 850 miles. I could have ridden further no problem. Stock screen, gel pad seat cover, and slightly lower and wider foot pegs. I find the stock seat extremely comfortable, looks like a big tractor seat.

I'd do it again too!
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #3612
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 204
turnover

Had four bikes in 3 years and gotta say the Multi is a keeper. I have motorcycle ADD and it is a high dose stimulant!

Funny I have been wishing for BMW 1600 but I don't tour so even I can't justify it. I like the feeling of a heavy smooth bike with lots of amenities! But... oh God the Multistrada. I love it. As abundant as the technology is on the Multi the ride is elemental, pure.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #3613
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
Had four bikes in 3 years and gotta say the Multi is a keeper. I have motorcycle ADD and it is a high dose stimulant!

Funny I have been wishing for BMW 1600 but I don't tour so even I can't justify it. I like the feeling of a heavy smooth bike with lots of amenities! But... oh God the Multistrada. I love it. As abundant as the technology is on the Multi the ride is elemental, pure.
Couldn't have said it better, elemental and raw...

The K16 is sooo smooth that it can take away the connection of rider to bike.. Don't get me wrong, that smoothness is so valuable on long days in th saddle and in so many other riding situations but for everyday riding for "escaping" purposes the rawness is the dope .. Ducati has corned the market for sure and I will have one in my garage before year end. Either a Streetfighter and K16 or only MTS but there will be red in th garage.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #3614
donutrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
I've risen my standard non ABS MTS1200 from houston, TX to Albuquerque, NM in a single day. If I remember correctly this is about 850 miles. I could have ridden further no problem. Stock screen, gel pad seat cover, and slightly lower and wider foot pegs. I find the stock seat extremely comfortable, looks like a big tractor seat.

I'd do it again too!
Good news! That's a long windy haul on any bike.. I'm 9 hours from Red River which is my summer passage to relief from th Oklahoma heat.

Where did you get pegs ?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #3615
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
How many of you have put in a 700+ mile day in the saddle on an MS? I did 775 yesterday on th K16GT and was wondering if it was even possible on a MS without th cruise control and extra wind protection.
Not 700+ but I've done multiple 5-600 mile days back to back. I have the stock seat and the Ducati touring windscreen and am never feeling worn out or sore at the end of the day. I also tend to remove everything I don't find usefull from a bike and travel as light as possible.

Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote