Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #25396
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Against my better judgement, I've tentatively scheduled the Texas Rando Stampede 1200. They run this one every two years and while their site hasn't been updated yet, it'll kick off on 5/1/13.

750 miles, < 90 hours (hopefully), Texas Hill Country....what could possibly go wrong?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #25397
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Rugby season's started up, and my cycling's had to go straight out the window. No more time for hours on the bike.

Anybody got a good cycling workout that takes about 20 minutes? I might have to buy an indoor trainer.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #25398
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Rugby season's started up, and my cycling's had to go straight out the window. No more time for hours on the bike.

Anybody got a good cycling workout that takes about 20 minutes? I might have to buy an indoor trainer.
20 minutes is just warm up to get the legs loose and blood circulating. I'd say at minimum an hour for short intervals if you want a focused cardio workout. 4x10 min aerobic threshold with 5 mins rest (endurance level) between sets. Or the standard 2x20 with 10 minutes rest between sets. 20 minute warm up, 50 minutes workout and 20 minute easy spin = 1.5 hours. That's about as short as I can make a workout and get anything useful out of it.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #25399
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Looks like I'm buying a trainer & cycling indoors at night, then.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #25400
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There are two instructors I know who swear by flats, but their ultra-aggressive style of riding doesn't really lend itself to clipless anyway. They do things like dragging a foot while cornering and change foot position a lot when riding, which clipless pedals aren't designed for. I find that I have to concentrate on my pedaling technique a lot more when riding clipless off road, but the 20% power increase is well worth the effort. And of course I no longer have to worry about my feet slipping off the pedals when the bike is bouncing around under me, or when shifting gears aggressively.
That is what thought as well. Then I read that over 80% of the WC downhill guys use clipless, all of the top 10. I figured if they could do it, so could I....

They did give me the inspiration to try it again though.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #25401
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
That is what thought as well. Then I read that over 80% of the WC downhill guys use clipless, all of the top 10. I figured if they could do it, so could I....

They did give me the inspiration to try it again though.
Clipless on downhill? That takes some balls.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #25402
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Clipless on downhill? That takes some balls.
I know!
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #25403
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Looks like I'm buying a trainer & cycling indoors at night, then.
Go get Time Crunched Cyclist by Chris Carmichael.

My buddy doesn't quite have the concept of an easy spin down. Every freaking hill he comes to, he HAS to attack it. That wasn't the plan for the ride today. Oh well. I did the effort level I wanted to do (and maybe a titch more) and he did what he wanted to do. 2:03 on the road. Tomorrow: easy hour with a few jumps and a few short efforts to get ready to race on Sunday.

Yay for cross season!

M
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #25404
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
So why in the world do these riding jerseys cost so much? They are made of the same material as running technical shirts, yet often cost 3X more. Am I missing something? Since I started riding back in July I have been riding in normal workout clothes made of the DriFit material (UnderArmor, Nike, store brand, whatever) which wicks away sweat. Is there some benefit to the MTB specific jerseys I do not know about? Or is it that this is a low volume apparel so the price is higher to make up the difference? Or am I shopping in the wrong places?
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #25405
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So why in the world do these riding jerseys cost so much? They are made of the same material as running technical shirts, yet often cost 3X more. Am I missing something? Since I started riding back in July I have been riding in normal workout clothes made of the DriFit material (UnderArmor, Nike, store brand, whatever) which wicks away sweat. Is there some benefit to the MTB specific jerseys I do not know about? Or is it that this is a low volume apparel so the price is higher to make up the difference? Or am I shopping in the wrong places?
For mtn biking, I'm seriously tempted to wear the same stuff you're wearing. You don't need the pockets and tight fit of road stuff off-road. A. you're not going as fast and B. you've got a camelbak with you that has all yer tools and food in it.

The only thing stopping me is... ...I'm a roadie and I have lots of jerseys that go with my bib-shorts. I refuse to wear 'mtn biking shorts' with the outer baggy layer.

M
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #25406
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Go get Time Crunched Cyclist by Chris Carmichael.
own it!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #25407
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For mtn biking, I'm seriously tempted to wear the same stuff you're wearing. You don't need the pockets and tight fit of road stuff off-road. A. you're not going as fast and B. you've got a camelbak with you that has all yer tools and food in it.

The only thing stopping me is... ...I'm a roadie and I have lots of jerseys that go with my bib-shorts. I refuse to wear 'mtn biking shorts' with the outer baggy layer.

M

Yeah, I won't buy the shorts either. Mainly because I have so many pairs of board shorts for swimming, I just through those on over some athletic undies and away I go. All the MTB shorts I see are close to 100 dollars

Sorry, not paying

The two local trails I ride mostly are loops around public walkways. The trails are 6 and 9 miles long, but each are on no more than 100 acres. If the bike breaks I just throw it over my shoulders and walk back to the car. The only thing I have with me when I ride is water in the water bottle attached to the bike. Oh, and keys and phone, just in case. Those I put in the pockets of the board shorts, inside of a sandwich bag so they do not slide out while riding.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #25408
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Because the market will tolerate it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #25409
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
20 minutes is just warm up to get the legs loose and blood circulating. I'd say at minimum an hour for short intervals if you want a focused cardio workout. 4x10 min aerobic threshold with 5 mins rest (endurance level) between sets. Or the standard 2x20 with 10 minutes rest between sets. 20 minute warm up, 50 minutes workout and 20 minute easy spin = 1.5 hours. That's about as short as I can make a workout and get anything useful out of it.
Good luck on this weekend stay in the pain cave,

You too Gummie, Wow that bike looks great.Full poser mode......Well you'll look good doing it.....
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #25410
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Against my better judgement, I've tentatively scheduled the Texas Rando Stampede 1200. They run this one every two years and while their site hasn't been updated yet, it'll kick off on 5/1/13.

750 miles, < 90 hours (hopefully), Texas Hill Country....what could possibly go wrong?
Yea what.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: