ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #3331
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer
 
Dirt Diver's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,060
I test rode an Explorer yesterday and was impressed. Ticked most boxes for me but I have a few questions for owners or people in the know!

I found the bars to be too far out of reach (I've owned a GSA and that was fine btw) and by the end of my ride my upper arms ached, maybe rotating the bars back a bit would help but I guess it needs risers straight up. Is that what most here have done?

I imagined the Triumph engineers used a model of a 6'1"+++ person with large hands too because all the controls were a reach as well. That's something I could live with though.

The standing postion made me feel hunched but I guess the risers would aleviate that somewhat, but when standing I couldn't see the instrument panel clearly, has anyone adjusted that somehow to tilt upwards slightly?

I wouldn't be buying one until the XC comes out, those wire spokes mean a lot to me!

Test bike had an Arrow exhaust fitted to it, anyone know if it adds that much more to it?

Thanks!
__________________
12 R1200GS Triple Black - Fulfilling my every need!
09 F800GS - Sold
07 GSA Sold and missed.
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #3332
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,604
I use SW-Motech 20mm straight up risers, many use 2 inch ROX risers.

I test rode the Explorer the next day it arrived at the dealership. Same afternoon my trusty Vee gone to Craigslist. Bought the very first Explorer in Raleigh, NC


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 08:18 PM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #3333
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Akron, OH
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
This bike doesn't seem to be generating a lot of buzz here on adv rider. Are owners happy?
That was kinda my point with most of the posts. Even the cycleworld article seem that way to me. They start out saying the were focusing on a road oriented test, then complain it sucks offroad?

i LOVE mine. Ive got about 1400 mi on it and its gets better with each one. Im 6' 190 lbs, usually wear a 33/32 pants. I have the seat in the upper position, and have not touched the handlebars. Stock screen almost all the way back. I was a little worried with the reach coming off my DR650 since its a much smaller bike. However, having rode most of the day with no issues in my arms, shoulders or back, Im probably gonna leave them alone. The seat gets to be after about 2 -3 hours, but I do admit its probably me more than the bike. Im not used to sitting anywhere for that long. I am getting more sitting endurance the longer I spend on it though, lol. Ive got a 7hr highway road trip towards the end of the month to go surprise my sister. That will be my longest trip/ straight through continuous riding time so that will give me a better idea.

Rest of the ergos seem to fit me very well. Everything well placed. Standing, the bars are comfortable without being too low, and the seat/tank both seem to be just right on me to have them between my legs. Footpegs seem in a good spot. I could see the use of some highway pegs on a set of crashbars or something possibly if your doing 800 mi days.

It is a big bike. its a 1200 for cripes sake! If your 5'7" and 140 lbs, this probably isnt the bike for you. Then again, most bigger bikes probably arent either. That being said, I can lean it on me enough to one side, and pick up/drag the back end around if need be.

It doesnt feel overly top heavy to me. Everyone complained. Dunno if they are small guys, or just assume that because of the bulkiness/look of the tank. Once riding normal riding conditions, the bike feels incredibly light, and very well balanced. Ive never had a centerstand either. Unloaded, I can get the bike up on it without too much difficulty.

Bike handles very well IMO. Just rolls right down into the corner with minimal effort. Set up wide, apex, smooth on the gas, and you are ripping through the corners. Tires feel good, and the bike inspires confidence. I however have not had a bike that handled in a a good while. So trying to ease into it. But I can see dragging something on it before long.

Drivetrain is great. Motor is something im not used to. From the 1/4 times Ive seen listed, my truck is nearly as fast as this bike is. Yet, unlike my truck, theres no real noticeable "powerband" on the bike. It just GOES! Theres power everywhere and it just pulls and pulls. A ton of tq. This bike could make peak power at 5K rpm, and it would still feel crisp and sporty. I still have not had it WFO to redline yet. And Ive had some, smile bigger than my helmet, holy sh#t this thing goes, moments. Did I mention this thing they call the triple motor? Its freaking great.

Transmission. So this is what they all call buttery smooth? Add me to that list. Shifts feel positive. And just slides into gear if youve got any sort of rpms on it. Definitely a close ratio gear box. 6th gear could be a little lower on the rpms IMO. But Im already traveling over the posted limit anywhere anyways. This thing is shaft drive? My uncle was telling me stories of old bikes they had that were shaft. I cant tell any difference.

Hy clutch is something new to me as well. Feels just right to me. Good modulation. Same with the brakes. Feel good just regular normal riding. Hit them hard she'll stop ya hard.

Love the display. Seemed a bit confusing at first. Read the manual, ride it a little, that will change your mind. Love the ambient air temp too, lol. Lights seem nice and bright. Again, READ THE MANUAL. Theres a lever height adjustment to lower the beam down if the bike is fully loaded up. The dealer had the lights adjusted down when I got mine. I was disapointed with the light when I first rode at night. Thought man these gotta come way up. Flipped the lever, wala! I can see now!

No real, oh sh%t moments to use the abs/ traction control. But, it does not like when you stab it expecting the front end to come up. That tc light comes on, on the dash. No drama.

Throttle is unnoticeable anymore. Only time ive had any real jerkiness has been on an unexpected seam in the road, pothole I didnt see, uneven bridge, etc. It was worse then, than offroad. But it was just mild slow speed offroad. Even then, its not like the bikes surging in power and running out from under you. From what I hear, most EFI has that effect.

Couple stupid things. Would be nice if the helmet hook pin was only under the pass seat. You have to lift up the riders seat too to hook the d rings over it. I usually dont hook up my old beat up helmet. Although Im saving for a new Nolan. That will get locked every time. The tool kit is crap. It also would be nice for a little more room under the seat for a couple things. Better tool kit. Some kinda tire repair/inflation. Emergency extras, etc. Smaller muffler would be nice. Love the wheels and single sided arm. Hiding them behind that monster is shame. Same with the long overhang under the brake/ license plate.

But I guess if those are my biggest complaints so far, consider me in
__________________
"homesick for a place Ive never been"

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3334
texzen
BMW Engineer
 
texzen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Texas - Live Music Capitol of the World
Oddometer: 361
Any Previous GSA Riders covert to Exporer

Why is this bike just not getting any buzz. It seems on paper and in the show room like the perfect adventure bike for me. I on my 3rd GS. The 1st 2 were no trouble at all, my new 2010 has been in the shop 12 times. The fuel injection and BM SK management has been horrific. It makes less and less horsepower every day. it's running so lean it costs and eyes at traffic lights and at times won't start. I'm currently in the process of getting BMW to eat this one. Frustration frustration frustration, I have about $3000 in accessories on it which will all probably end up on eBay. Or I'm just going to have to accept that BMW and the Germans couldn't write a correct piece of software if Einstein were still alive, And oh the power commander route and write my own fuel and ignition management software.

just wondering if anyone has converted from a GSA to and explore and what their experiences is. I'm just baffled that this bike doesn't seem to get any attention in the comparisons. Everyone seems to compare the GSA to the super 10 which I have written for about 60 miles. It just didn't do much for me, seemed less powerful than my GS And I wasn't crazy with the wind buffeting on the highway.

I read some grumblings that the Explorer is heavy. Please note I had away my GSA to take it overseas and with no fuel but fully loaded with empty bags and accessories, it was right at 600 pounds. That's a far cry from the 485 dry weight they are advertised that and there's no way I have 115 pounds of accessories.

Can someone please give me some conversion experience from the GSA to another adventure platform.
__________________
"What the F*** was that" famous quote - Mayor of Hirosima Aug. 6th 1945.

Currently in the Stable
2010 R1200GSA - The Valdez, 07 Goldwing - Mr smooth, 2011 Beta Trials Bike - The Grasshopper!, 44 before that....Including HD's, Katooms, Ducs, and nearly every dirt bike brand...
texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #3335
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 822
I've had an 08 and a 10 GS and now have the TEX as do many other former GS owners over at the TEX owner's forum at
http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php?action=forum There's been a lot of discussion of the differences between the 2 bikes there.

Compared to the GSs I've had the TEX is a bit more top heavy and just a tad less "flickable" into the curves. Once into the curve though it sticks like glue just like the GS. The only other time I notice the weight is when pushing it around my garage.

What sold me on the bike is its motor. The sheer amount of torque and the smooth powerband are something to be experienced to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
just wondering if anyone has converted from a GSA to and explore and what their experiences is. I'm just baffled that this bike doesn't seem to get any attention in the comparisons. Everyone seems to compare the GSA to the super 10 which I have written for about 60 miles. It just didn't do much for me, seemed less powerful than my GS And I wasn't crazy with the wind buffeting on the highway.

I read some grumblings that the Explorer is heavy. Please note I had away my GSA to take it overseas and with no fuel but fully loaded with empty bags and accessories, it was right at 600 pounds. That's a far cry from the 485 dry weight they are advertised that and there's no way I have 115 pounds of accessories.

Can someone please give me some conversion experience from the GSA to another adventure platform.
__________________
Doc Reid
2013 GS LC Red (the fastest color )
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #3336
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Akron, OH
Oddometer: 269
Wet weight of my bike on the scale at work was 580 lbs.
__________________
"homesick for a place Ive never been"

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3337
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,562
Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz,

Buy me one & I'll Buzz about it everyday. I can't afford one right now.

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz,
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3338
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer
 
EggChaser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hamsphire/Surrey Borders
Oddometer: 536
Mine went swimming in the floods in Yorkshire

EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #3339
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
Why is this bike just not getting any buzz. It seems on paper and in the show room like the perfect adventure bike for me. I on my 3rd GS. The 1st 2 were no trouble at all, my new 2010 has been in the shop 12 times. The fuel injection and BM SK management has been horrific. It makes less and less horsepower every day. it's running so lean it costs and eyes at traffic lights and at times won't start. I'm currently in the process of getting BMW to eat this one. Frustration frustration frustration, I have about $3000 in accessories on it which will all probably end up on eBay. Or I'm just going to have to accept that BMW and the Germans couldn't write a correct piece of software if Einstein were still alive, And oh the power commander route and write my own fuel and ignition management software.

just wondering if anyone has converted from a GSA to and explore and what their experiences is. I'm just baffled that this bike doesn't seem to get any attention in the comparisons. Everyone seems to compare the GSA to the super 10 which I have written for about 60 miles. It just didn't do much for me, seemed less powerful than my GS And I wasn't crazy with the wind buffeting on the highway.

I read some grumblings that the Explorer is heavy. Please note I had away my GSA to take it overseas and with no fuel but fully loaded with empty bags and accessories, it was right at 600 pounds. That's a far cry from the 485 dry weight they are advertised that and there's no way I have 115 pounds of accessories.

Can someone please give me some conversion experience from the GSA to another adventure platform.
I don't think that you can compare the GSA to the Explorer given the fact the Explorer is trully aimed at the tarmac and occasional fire trail folk (not saying it can't do more but that's isn't its target in my opinion). I also don't think we will see a GSA contender for a while either (the recently shown XC version of the Explorer was just the same bike with spoked wheels).

In terms of the weight: when you are manoeuvring the bike by hand (or if you stop at a light and put your foot in a hole) it feels real top heavy to me but once it is moving it seems to shed those pounds immediately.

I strongly suggest getting a demo ride and then you'll be even more surprised why there isn't a huge mount of buzz about it. If you are looking for 300+ miles on a tank of gas and rugged off road capability then you WILL be disappointed but if you want a bike that handles terrificily and goes like a train in every gear without having to rev the nuts off it then you will love the Explorer.

I hope this gives you a little more food for thought.
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #3340
hecpilot
Dreaming of my trip...
 
hecpilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Spring, Texas
Oddometer: 47
Reasons for less than positive buzz:

1. A major motorcycle magazine recently proclaimed that the TEX is a joke for riding off road. This same magazine seems to be in love with the S10.

2. A very vocal minority is angry because it doesn't have an 8 gallon tank.

3. A very vocal minority on the TEX forum is angry that their 1200cc high performance triple makes noise. And vibrates too. Completely unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

As for me, I love mine. I expected it to be a fun, fast touring bike that I can take down a dirt road if necessary. It has exceeded my expectations.
hecpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #3341
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 304
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecpilot View Post
Reasons for less than positive buzz:

1. A major motorcycle magazine recently proclaimed that the TEX is a joke for riding off road. This same magazine seems to be in love with the S10.

2. A very vocal minority is angry because it doesn't have an 8 gallon tank.

3. A very vocal minority on the TEX forum is angry that their 1200cc high performance triple makes noise. And vibrates too. Completely unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

As for me, I love mine. I expected it to be a fun, fast touring bike that I can take down a dirt road if necessary. It has exceeded my expectations.

+1 on hecpilot's take on the TEX. I've got about 2700 miles on mine now & it's been absolutely perfect. I would guess that roughly 600 -700 miles have been on gravel, with 1/4 of that 2 up. It handles gravel roads every bit as well as my KLR, even better that the KLR with 2 riders.

I would agree that Triumph possibly engineered the TEX with taller riders in mind, ( I'm 6'4" & 240 pounds ), but there are getting to be a lot of shorter & lighter weight owners reporting in on the different forums now & most of them seem to be loving their Tigers too.

The Arrow can is supposed to weigh in @ around 1/2 of the stock aluminum alloy can & Triumph claims it adds about 3 hp. I have a new Scorpion can ordered for mine & like the arrow, it weighs in about 1/2 as much as the stock can & Scorpion claims an added 6 hp on their dyno.

I weighed mine on a truck scale full of fuel & with most of the available options & it weighed 580 pounds.

The 1215 tripple is the smoothest running motor I've ever owned and the 6 speed tranny hooked up to the shaft drive is incredible. BUZZZZZZ...
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #3342
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
+1 on hecpilot's take on the TEX. I've got about 2700 miles on mine now & it's been absolutely perfect. I would guess that roughly 600 -700 miles have been on gravel, with 1/4 of that 2 up. It handles gravel roads every bit as well as my KLR, even better that the KLR with 2 riders.

I would agree that Triumph possibly engineered the TEX with taller riders in mind, ( I'm 6'4" & 240 pounds ), but there are getting to be a lot of shorter & lighter weight owners reporting in on the different forums now & most of them seem to be loving their Tigers too.

The Arrow can is supposed to weigh in @ around 1/2 of the stock aluminum alloy can & Triumph claims it adds about 3 hp. I have a new Scorpion can ordered for mine & like the arrow, it weighs in about 1/2 as much as the stock can & Scorpion claims an added 6 hp on their dyno.

I weighed mine on a truck scale full of fuel & with most of the available options & it weighed 580 pounds.

The 1215 tripple is the smoothest running motor I've ever owned and the 6 speed tranny hooked up to the shaft drive is incredible. BUZZZZZZ...
Big John,
looking forward to hearing about your Scorpion can; it's my first planned major upgrade in the Spring. Who are you getting it through?
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #3343
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!
 
rhinoWERX's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: LB, CA
Oddometer: 855
FWIW

2012 TEx vs GS Touring Comparison
__________________
rhinoWErX
"Do you see what I see..."
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #3344
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,604
Review I wanted to hear :)


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #3345
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,996
The King is Dead....Long Live the King
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014