ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #10066
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hey MikeMike!

Is the time line set for the Vera Cruz Rally? I will probably be headed south in a few weeks and may stop in.

Donnie
Check with Arte and Andres but I believe it is coming up on October 12, 13, 14 or thereabouts.
Can you make it down?
I know the Mystery Rider will be around.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #10067
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,352
Mike,
What Rallye is this?
__________________
Guero from Texas
COHVCO
AMA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #10068
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,124
A few notes for anyone coming through Veracruz in the next month or so.

Dengue fever is really on the rise in the coastal areas, not so bad in the mountains, but here on the coast it is bad.
Both versions, the classic and the hemmorageic, are around so be careful camping and especially at dawn and dusk.
If you are camping, get some really good bug repellant stateside before coming through. Get the best you can, something like Cutters.

We've had a lot of rain lately (we got 6 inches in 12 hours the other day) so the potholes are just getting bigger and bigger. The coast highway #180 is a minefield with these, so heads up.

The nortes (north wind storms) have started early this year and are bringing more rain than is usually associated with one of these storms. However, if it is dry and the winds are gusting, watch for sand patches on the highways along the coast.

Other than that, things are pretty quiet, though Xalapa remains problematic for secruity stops and these are now happening more and more in the Cordoba/Orizaba corridor.

Looking forward to meeting up with Los Nortenos Arte and Andres. Hopefully, Donny and I can further explore the concept of "fast" Harleys over a drink. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #10069
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,124
Andres and Arte planned out a Rally Ruta Cafe in La Esperanza. Details I have are that it is an off road type rally and all proceeds are going to the local public school in La Esperanza. Schizz and Donny were on the extreme northern edge of what Arte and Andres call "Greenland" last time they were through. La Esperanza is a friendly little village northwest of Veracruz, it is inland from Palma Sola and is smack dab in the middle of the best coffee country in Veracruz, in my opinion. I plan on riding up at least one day with the Mystery Rider and make a donation to the school but I won't be in the actual event. Good riding in the area, you can connect with a fantastic road that goes up from Misantla to Naolinco and you will really, really like that road. Ask Schizz and Donny about that route and the food in Naolinco is great. Andres' family have more than a century of coffee growing history in the area. They really know coffee!

RALLY DE MOTOS, CUATRIMOTOS Y UTV, LOS DIA 12, 13 Y 14 DE OCTUBRE DEL 2012 EN "LA ESPERANZA" EVENTO ORGANIZADO PARA REUNIR FONDOS A FAVOR DE LA ESCUELA PRIMARIA "ENRIQUE C. REBSAMEN", INSCRIPCION $300.00, PREMIO A LOS PRIMEROS LUGARES DE LAS DISTINTAS CATEGORIAS.

RALLY “LA RUTA DEL CAFÉ” 2012

Details here:

http://www.400cc.com.mx/noticias/nt3620.html


OCTUBRE 12, 13 Y 14.

REGLAMENTO DEL RALLY “RUTA DEL CAFÉ” LA ESPERANZA, MPIO. DE JUCHIQUE DE FERRER, VERACRUZ.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #10070
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer
 
rockymountainoyster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Back in the San Juan Mountains
Oddometer: 981
Insect Repellent

The 3M brand repellent with the most DEET is really nasty stuff, it will dissolve nylon rain gear, but it really works and dengue fever is really nasty, can even be fatal... guess I'd go for the DEET and a good shower after going indoors. Any other comments/experiences?
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #10071
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 934
Spray repellents also melt other plastics, like your bikes body work, your windshield and your helmet. Puts little pits in them if they get hit with overspray. I don't know if it is the DEET itself or the propellent that does the damage but there are bottles of liquid that you rub on instead of spray. Might be trading overspray for spills. Lately, the spray can has been more effective to try to bludgeon the damn zancudos. AS it cools down and drys out, we will see fewer of them in Sonora.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #10072
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,370
You've all heard the hilarious bear repellent story I suppose
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #10073
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Byron1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Lincolnshire, England
Oddometer: 106
Talking Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
México is like a fine woman. Many gaze upon her beauty but few will know her. Good on ya, Amigo.
Ok,so I thought I would write a quick update since we arrived on the mainland..

We arrived in Mazatlan no problems and then rode the Highway 40 over to Durnago... Fantastic road, probably the most curves our bike has ever seen in one day ! Also a few near misses with Donkeys and Kamikaze truck drivers

This morning when I went to start the bike up, the battery had finally given up the ghost. Seeing us struggle, the owner of a shop next to our hotel came out and started helping us. He spent 3 hours driving me around town trying to find a replacement battery and made litterally hundreds of calls to his biker mates to see if they could help.

As my bike is an older model (1979 R100 RS) finding the correct battery has been a bit of a problem. Eventually my new found friend came up trumps.. one of his mates in Monterey offered to get us a battery at the BMW bike shop there and drive it all the way down hear for us on Sunday!!!



I feel guilty for the amount of help we have been given! The Mexican people have just been so friendly and cant do enough to help us. Please... if you are reading this forum because you are worried about the people in Mexico, dont be. They have all been amazing (obviously we try to trust our instincts and avoid those who are blatantly bandits!). Learn a little bit of Spanish, be polite and respectful and they will be delighted to share their country with you.

I swear that as soon as we get back home it will be my mission to go out of my way to help stranded tourists!
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #10074
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
airdale7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Ocala, Fl
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You've all heard the hilarious bear repellent story I suppose
no I haven't, lets here it
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #10075
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post
Ok,so I thought I would write a quick update since we arrived on the mainland..

We arrived in Mazatlan no problems and then rode the Highway 40 over to Durnago... Fantastic road, probably the most curves our bike has ever seen in one day ! Also a few near misses with Donkeys and Kamikaze truck drivers

This morning when I went to start the bike up, the battery had finally given up the ghost. Seeing us struggle, the owner of a shop next to our hotel came out and started helping us. He spent 3 hours driving me around town trying to find a replacement battery and made litterally hundreds of calls to his biker mates to see if they could help.

As my bike is an older model (1979 R100 RS) finding the correct battery has been a bit of a problem. Eventually my new found friend came up trumps.. one of his mates in Monterey offered to get us a battery at the BMW bike shop there and drive it all the way down hear for us on Sunday!!!



I feel guilty for the amount of help we have been given! The Mexican people have just been so friendly and cant do enough to help us. Please... if you are reading this forum because you are worried about the people in Mexico, dont be. They have all been amazing (obviously we try to trust our instincts and avoid those who are blatantly bandits!). Learn a little bit of Spanish, be polite and respectful and they will be delighted to share their country with you.

I swear that as soon as we get back home it will be my mission to go out of my way to help stranded tourists!
Sounds like a great ride and thank you for spreading the good stuff about visiting Mexico. I know what you mean about feeling guilty for taking all the help. Keep spreading the word that Mexico is beautiful, friendly and safe to visit.

Saludos
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #10076
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,124
The reason for the heads up on the Dengue here is that there have been 6,000 confirmed cases. An epidemic far worse than any H1N1 stuff and nobody is doing a lot about it.
The problem now is the emergence of a more lethal third strain of Dengue.
Here are the details, the real fault lies at the feet of the state government who did no spraying this year and have only now just started again in the urban areas. The rural areas are on their own. Telling people to avoid having old bottles and tires sitting around which is what the state "programs" amount to, hasn't had any results in 10 years. But spraying will help when it is done correctly, but it just wasn't being done.
You can see in the story that Sonora began an intensive program and only had 53 cases.
We've hit 6,000. I shudder to think that now we have a strain more lethal than the hemmorageic strain.

Alerta por serotipo de dengue más letal en Veracruz!

28 Septiembre, 2012 11:25:00

/El Universal/.- El secretario de Salud estatal, Ernesto Echeverría, pidió a la población mantener limpios sus patios de envases o recipientes que acumulen agua, ante la presencia en algunos estados de un nuevo serotipo de dengue más letal.

Señaló que en Sinaloa, en donde se mantiene desde hace dos años una intensa campaña de eliminación del mosquito aedes aegypti, circulan sólo los serotipos uno y dos, por lo que este año sólo se han presentado 53 casos nuevos, de los cuales nueve son hemorrágicos.

El funcionario destacó que entidades como Yucatán, con tres mil 300 casos, y Veracruz con seis mil casos de dengue, han detectado un tercer serotipo, más peligroso que el hemorrágico, que puede ser letal si los pacientes no se atienden de forma oportuna.

Comentó que han funcionado las campañas de recolección de cacharros en la vía pública, la eliminación de envases y recipientes en azoteas y traspatios, puesto que se rompió con el ciclo reproductor del insecto trasmisor.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #10077
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Looks like I'm 4 weeks from heading south.
Where are you headed to?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #10078
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Check with Arte and Andres but I believe it is coming up on October 12, 13, 14 or thereabouts.
Can you make it down?
I know the Mystery Rider will be around.
I will be leaving Dallas the 12th or the 13th.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #10079
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,124
Hey Donnie, I'll be around. Let me know when you get close.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #10080
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 934
We are just north of the zone but the state of Sonora sent the spray trucks in. They did 3 full passes through the town, up and down every street in a week. But you don't need to worry about zancudos when I'm around, they will be biting me and you will be unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The reason for the heads up on the Dengue here is that there have been 6,000 confirmed cases. An epidemic far worse than any H1N1 stuff and nobody is doing a lot about it.
The problem now is the emergence of a more lethal third strain of Dengue.
Here are the details, the real fault lies at the feet of the state government who did no spraying this year and have only now just started again in the urban areas. The rural areas are on their own. Telling people to avoid having old bottles and tires sitting around which is what the state "programs" amount to, hasn't had any results in 10 years. But spraying will help when it is done correctly, but it just wasn't being done.
You can see in the story that Sonora began an intensive program and only had 53 cases.
We've hit 6,000. I shudder to think that now we have a strain more lethal than the hemmorageic strain.

Alerta por serotipo de dengue más letal en Veracruz!

28 Septiembre, 2012 11:25:00

/El Universal/.- El secretario de Salud estatal, Ernesto Echeverría, pidió a la población mantener limpios sus patios de envases o recipientes que acumulen agua, ante la presencia en algunos estados de un nuevo serotipo de dengue más letal.

Señaló que en Sinaloa, en donde se mantiene desde hace dos años una intensa campaña de eliminación del mosquito aedes aegypti, circulan sólo los serotipos uno y dos, por lo que este año sólo se han presentado 53 casos nuevos, de los cuales nueve son hemorrágicos.

El funcionario destacó que entidades como Yucatán, con tres mil 300 casos, y Veracruz con seis mil casos de dengue, han detectado un tercer serotipo, más peligroso que el hemorrágico, que puede ser letal si los pacientes no se atienden de forma oportuna.

Comentó que han funcionado las campañas de recolección de cacharros en la vía pública, la eliminación de envases y recipientes en azoteas y traspatios, puesto que se rompió con el ciclo reproductor del insecto trasmisor.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014