Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
I have owned 2 Tomos mopeds, both the ST model that used to be called the Targa. An '03 and an '05. '05 was the last year for the A35 engine, which I liked better than the A55. These had the lower cowl and turn signals, and, unfortunately oil injection. TOMOS OIL INJECTION IS JUNK. I never made it home from the dealer with the first one, the top end seized up due to oil injection failure. On the second one, I asked the dealer not to start it up, and went and picked it up in a truck. I pulled the oil pump cover off, and the clear plastic fish tank hoses they had used for oil were both badly kinked. The entire system, from the oil tank lid to the injector is junk, there is not one decent part in the whole thing, unless it might be the pump itself. Even the design itself is bad. Your engine will starve for oil if you are riding on a long downhill. Compared to something like Yamaha's Autolube system, it looks like a first grader designed it. I removed them from both mopeds and ran premix, 40:1. Do that and they will last forever. The Sprint is the best one. Also the cheapest. You can get all of them with or without pedals. Mine had pedals, so it could be ridden in the bike lane. If you get a peg model, there is no place to ride them, they are too slow to keep up with traffic.

If you can't find one locally, I would get it from www.heeters.com
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #17
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
I owned the Sprint, about 2002 or so, it was a far cry from the old A35
models. The thing had PLASTIC brake levers! You could not lock up any
of the wheels even on wet pavement.

The older ones had foot rear brake and that was a lot better.

In 600 miles the front forks virtually fell apart and it was sold soon after.
The fuel mileage was great (more or less in the 4 stroke category),
it used to start ok, didn't like cold weather.

It's sweet spot (cruising speed) was at 25mph (more or less just after
shifting to 2nd gear).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
Many people into the moped scene here remove the front fender, which is basically what holds the forks together, at least on the '05 and older models. Remove it and the forks flex like wet noodles. The '05 and older ones were spring forks only, no damping. When the A55 models cam out in '06, they also switched to hydraulic forks (this is in the U.S., models for other markets were probably different) The A35 engine used a reed valve, and was a great engine. It was virtually indestructible IF you left it stock. The A3 engine that came before it was also good. And there is really nothing wrong with the A55 that came after the A35, I just like the A35 better.

Todays Tomos mopeds are not built as well as most mopeds were built back in the '70s. I still own a '77 Puch MaxiSport ZA50 2 speed 2 hp, it has well over 20,000 miles (miles, not klms) on it, all mine, and the engine has never been apart. But it has never been modded either. It is very easy to see the quality difference between that old Puch and a modern Tomos. Though the same size, the Puch is much heavier and the frame and suspension are a lot stronger.

But, ridden the way a moped should be ridden (not overloaded, not modified, and not ridden off road), a modern Tomos will still last a really long time, as long as you don't use the oil injection.

Mopeds are not scooters. They need to be ridden like motorized bicycles. You cannot ride them out in the middle of a traffic lane, or you will get run over. If a cop sees you ride one like that (again in the U.S.) you will get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. But most of the miles I put on my Puch were not in town, they were on rural country roads. I rode to the far right, just like someone on a long distance bicycle ride.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote