Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #16
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 303
Register on the Two-Wheeled Texans forum, and tell your story there. I'm not sure if the store is just internet sales, or if they have a storefront. If they have a storefront, this would certainly get their attention.

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
He said...she said:

Response to my email to them:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I have reviewed the forum and the posts. I know exactly of the situation that is being discussed. And although I do not wish to discount anyone’s concerns, I have to tell you that this claim is highly blemished and does not include the full details.

Let me begin by informing you that we do have a restocking fee under certain circumstances. I will highlight the main points of our return policy so that I do not drag this out too much…

The first sentence in our return policy is:
“We do not charge a restocking fee on items returned to us when returned when the items are returned to us unused, uninstalled, and in their original packaging and condition.”

Then there are some other statements relevant:
“Items not in their original packaging,
Items that have been installed,
Items that have been used,
Or items that are otherwise not in their original condition are not returnable. We may, at our discretion, accept the above listed items with the assessment of a 20% restocking fee.”

“If your order originally qualified for and was shipped free, our actual cost of shipping will be deducted from the refund amount.”

As you can clearly see by the customer’s initial post on the forum, he clearly installed the merchandise. The product packaging was not the only reason why the customer was assessed a restocking fee. Aside from the manufacturer’s packaging being marked all over, the product had slight signs of installation. Because of this, we have to repackage the product (not a huge deal), but unfortunately has to be sold at a discount due to now being a “used product”.

The customer’s refund was indeed less the amount of $83.18, $63.31 for the restocking fee, and $19.87 for the original shipping cost. If it is any evidence, the customer has already filed an A-Z claim with Amazon and we defended it. Amazon did side with us, and did so because our policy clearly indicates the restocking fee procedures.

I assure you that at no time do we wish to lose a customer because of these policies but unfortunately we are a business and must be able to cover our losses. We now have to sell a new item as used because the customer was simply unhappy with the height of it. If the customer was interested, we would certainly be able to provide him with a discount on a future order in order to retain his business.

Also, just a note, we do have a storefront here in Cedar Park.

Please understand that there are always two sides of any story and when an individual is upset with their transaction, they will usually try to make it sound more extreme than what it really is."
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,215
Id be willing to bet that seat is sitting on someone elses bike that they paid full price for.

If not, where is the seat being sold as used?

The real reason for restocking fees is the credit card fees. I'm in the business. The dealer or amazon takes a hit when you pay by card, which you obviously do have to through amazon. when the card is refunded, not all the fees are, especially the transaction fee and there is also a fee on a credit. Plus all the labor etc to get the box out the door.

I think they are using a technicality to gouge you. Its not a pair of sneakers where there is a scuff, who the hell thinks that the plastic won't get a tiny scuff just by installing it? And who the hell cares anyways?

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
seems valid. internet squabbles are great soap opera's
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
PSSS Guy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Additional Response

Hello ADV riders,

My name is Jason and I am the manager at Powersport Superstore and responded with the above email.

To add to that and address some of the other statements, we do have a store front and because of the condition of the manufacturer packaging, I have simply set this unit up on display in the store front at a discounted price. Sure, that restocking fee is also instated to reduce costs on us as the company, it is primarily there to cover the loss for now having to sell it as a used item. In any event, we do not charge a restocking fee on orders that are returned in the original condition. So this statement "The real reason for restocking fees is the credit card fees. I'm in the business. The dealer or amazon takes a hit when you pay by card, which you obviously do have to through amazon. when the card is refunded, not all the fees are, especially the transaction fee and there is also a fee on a credit. Plus all the labor etc to get the box out the door." is not valid.

To further address the statement "who the hell thinks that the plastic won't get a tiny scuff just by installing it? And who the hell cares anyways? ": Would you want this item at the retail price if it came to you in a marked up box and signs of installation on the mounting tabs? Regardless if it isn't openly visible to other riders, you will know it is there and I can assure you that no one wants to pay full retail for even a slightly used item.

In regards to purchasing on Amazon the return does have to be facilitated by us through the Amazon system and surely, when it is in our error we fully refund the purchase price along with providing a prepaid shipping label to return at no additional cost to the customer. As most of you are aware, when selling on Amazon we are monitored by them and even if we wanted to be scrupulous as some have you have suggested, we would not be able to. The customer lost his claim because we fully complied with our policies and the customer did not. We are fully committed to trying to please our customers and of course retain their business.

On Amazon alone we have over 62,000 reviews in our lifetime of being a merchant on the Amazon marketplace and with a 95% of this being positive we have nearly 59,000 positive reviews.

Please understand, we are not a couple of guys in a garage trying to make a quick buck, the business is managed by riders just like any other trying to provide a service of supplying great parts at an easy impact on the wallet.

If any of you have any concerns, you are more than welcome to contact me directly.

Jason L.
Customer Service Manager
Powersport Superstore Inc.
jason@powersportsuperstore.com
PSSS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
pielet97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
This the response from the company, pretty solid IMO.

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have reviewed the forum and the posts. I know exactly of the situation that is being discussed. And although I do not wish to discount anyone’s concerns, I have to tell you that this claim is highly blemished and does not include the full details.
Let me begin by informing you that we do have a restocking fee under certain circumstances. I will highlight the main points of our return policy so that I do not drag this out too much…
The first sentence in our return policy is:
“We do not charge a restocking fee on items returned to us when returned when the items are returned to us unused, uninstalled, and in their original packaging and condition.”
Then there are some other statements relevant:
“Items not in their original packaging,
Items that have been installed,
Items that have been used,
Or items that are otherwise not in their original condition are not returnable.* We may, at our discretion, accept the above listed items with the assessment of a 20% restocking fee.”
“If your order originally qualified for and was shipped free, our actual cost of shipping will be deducted from the refund amount.”
As you can clearly see by the customer’s initial post on the forum, he clearly installed the merchandise. The product packaging was not the only reason why the customer was assessed a restocking fee. Aside from the manufacturer’s packaging being marked all over, the product had slight signs of installation. Because of this, we have to repackage the product (not a huge deal), but unfortunately has to be sold at a discount due to now being a “used product”.
The customer’s refund was indeed less the amount of $83.18, $63.31 for the restocking fee, and $19.87 for the original shipping cost. If it is any evidence, the customer has already filed an A-Z claim with Amazon and we defended it. Amazon did side with us, and did so because our policy clearly indicates the restocking fee procedures.
I assure you that at no time do we wish to lose a customer because of these policies but unfortunately we are a business and must be able to cover our losses. We now have to sell a new item as used because the customer was simply unhappy with the height of it. If the customer was interested, we would certainly be able to provide him with a discount on a future order in order to retain his business.
Also, just a note, we do have a storefront here in Cedar Park.
Please understand that there are always two sides of any story and when an individual is upset with their transaction, they will usually try to make it sound more extreme than what it really is.
Thank you,
Jason L.
Customer Service
pielet97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
sailah
Lampin' it

Take a picture of the box with the sales price clearly marked on the showroom floor and I'll retract my statement. My point is valid. If everyone bought stuff from you at full price and returned it, you'd be losing money on cc fees. Maybe thats not your dept.

Regarding the seat and supposed install marks, take a pic of those as well so we can judge. It's not like the second it would be installed on someone elses bike it wouldn't have the same marks. If the seat cover was marked I can understand. My impression from the poster is that it was clicked on, sat on, too high, reboxed.

It would be like me telling the snap on guy I want a deal on a tool chest because theres dirt on the wheels from unloading off the truck. It's not a carbon fiber wheel or something.

Btw, I've bought plenty of stuff from you guys and never had a single issue. Now that you are here, how about an adv discount

Nessmuk
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
PSSS Guy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have actually just instructed my team to take it and list it on Amazon so you can actually view the listing here >
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BL8II
You will see it listed as a "used-like new" listing and it should be activated in the next couple days.

As for a request for discount, I am not sure I can post anything specific because of the forum rules. Just give us a call and identify yourselves as an ADV rider and we will have something for you.

-Jason
PSSS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
sailah
Lampin' it

Good onya jason

You can start a vendors thread in this section with a published discount code too...

Nessmuk
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Ah, what a sucky situation! It really sounds like a bummer. The vendor (from what we can tell here) played fair; still, you're out some money, and you'll never see it back. Have a cold beer, and move on.

I'm surprised and even a bit relieved to see Amazon side with a vendor ... When I sell stuff through amazon (just used personal stuff, I don't have a business) and there have been disputes where imo the buyer was clearly in the wrong, amazon has forced me to give full refunds without restocking fees and eat the shipping costs, and my bank / credit card provider would side with them. Basically, the bank would show my claim to amazon and amazon would say, that's not true!, and I would not get the money back. I wondered if they would ever NOT side with a buyer, no matter what the situation.

In a way, us buyers are to blame, too ... So many of us are completely anal about the cosmetic conditions of things we buy and expect discounts for small scratches on things that we know totally don't matter ... Just read the posts on the flea market here and how anal people are about tiny blemishes on bikes you can supposedly drive through the jungle ...

The only cause for complaint I see is that the buyer/OP feels misled: he wanted to buy a low seat and the seat he got is not low. So naturally he feels cheated. He's not like those people who order the same shoes in two colors and then return two - he was playing fair. The question then is: was the seat misrepresented? I'm guessing that Sargent calls it their 'low seat', so there's probably not much room for blaming the seller ... Although if I bought something called a 'low seat', I'd expect it to BE low. Maybe it's Sargent who should rethink their nomenclature.
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I see there are no "used" seats on the Amazon listing ...

I'm wondering if anyone from advrider saw this thread and decided to snap it up ... That'd be sort of funny, especially if they'd been part of the ranting on the first page ;).
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #27
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I'm sorry... but if you pay over 300.00 for a seat, then piss and moan about a restocking fee... then you really need to reconsider your purchases.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
It still seems like weaseling to me.

Anyone who opens a box no longer has a product "in original condition".

You can't test-fit a seat? How about a jacket or helmet?

Yes, you are technically correct, and your former customer was wrong. He should have read the fine print, and realized that the "We do not charge a restocking fee..." up front was BS. $86 seems like a pretty low price for losing a customer.

Btw- I have no problem with you guys charging restocking fees, or simply not accepting returns, or however you choose to run your business. It's the mice-type backhanded bullshit that I don't like. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,405
My 2 cents -

From what I read here, it sounds to me that the consumer had certain expectations regarding the returned the seat.
When he contacted the vendor, there was nothing stated then that changed his expectations.

With regards to the return, it appears to come down to communication. It seems the vendor could be a bit more specific about defining how the following conditions are judged.

* Items not in their original packaging,
* Items that have been installed,
* Items that have been used,
* items that are otherwise not in their original condition are not returnable.

It also seems that the vendor may ask customers to put the product back in to the original packaging, and put that package within another box because it will get marked during shipment. This could help avoid the markings on the box.

In this age of internet commerce, it is easy to get ripped off. Because of that, it is very easy to be an honest vendor, and be negatively judged.
The best way to avoid issues is to communicate as clearly and openly as possible.

On the other side, I never buy a large ticket item like this unless I have had a chance to fully research it.
As the vendor pointed out, if there is one scratch or blemish, that product is no longer new, and the price drops significantly.
Since they are not L.L. Bean or some other large internet vendor, they don't have outlet stores, and cannot simply absorb the cost. For them it is not simply, "the cost of doing business"

Let's face it, if the vendor were to absorb the cost of every "test fit" that he ships out, he wouldn't be able to afford to be in business much longer. In truth, it is really quite decent of them to agree to take return on a part that was not defective. The vendors that won't work with me are the ones I would like to see go away.

Regardless, it's a bummer that both parties left this deal unhappy.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #30
sherco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
When I called the seller to ask why there was huge restocking charge there was NO MENTION of any problem with the seat---only the marking on the outside of the box.

Now this weasel has come up with a story that the seat was not "as new" because I put it on my 1200GS to see if it fit. I think he realized the "marked on the box" reason for the fee was not going to fly so he had to come up with something else.

This ain't over......
sherco is offline   Reply With Quote