Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #3631
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
A friendly from Redmond, WA travels to brazil 2-3 times a year for business. I recall him telling a story similar to yours about difficulties getting a visa to enter the country. Hope the visa comes through for you soon.

I'm really enjoying your updates and photos.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #3632
JoDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Hey Mark, when we were just there we were based in Miraflores, very nice area. We were staying about a 10 min. walk from the Parque Del Amore. That walk along the coast is spectacular as you found out. We were told is is usually overcast with that mist all the time due to the Pacific and the altitude combination. That pic of the resturant out on the breakwall in the ocean, I wondered how many times it has had to be rebuilt after the storms. Keep on enjoying Lima as you have much to experience yet in Peru.

Cheers, Jody

JoDawg

2009 F800GS
BMWMOA #146900
JoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #3633
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Hey, Mark, just in case--I for one, and I presumably there are others, am very much interested in the various travel logistics and other details--border crossings, lodgings, prices, etc.--things that make traveling and living/visiting there different than home. I think those are just as much a part of the travel experience as the scenery and food, e.g.. Don't ever not elaborate on those things because you think you might bore us with such details. Cheers.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #3634
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Don't ever not elaborate on those things because you think you might bore us with such details. Cheers.
Thanks. I try to include these details and the experiences because they are certainly a big part of riding in foreign countries. Sometimes they are easy and sometimes they just take time.

I have started working on trying to figure out about boats to Antarctica, routes, last minute boats booking etc. It takes time to search the web, find helpful and informative people etc. But as I work at it and find the resources, I will share them for sure.

Also talk about money and costs so that others have an idea what to expect!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #3635
AndréBigTrailRider
VIAJAR É PRECISO...!

Oddometer: 15
Good afternoon Radioman, his prediction of arrival to Brazil?
AndréBigTrailRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #3636
AndréBigTrailRider
VIAJAR É PRECISO...!

Oddometer: 15
Which city will pass through Brazil? We already have idea?
AndréBigTrailRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #3637
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndréBigTrailRider View Post
Which city will pass through Brazil? We already have idea?
Do not really know yet. Making my way through Peru and then need to decide! Will let you know but always interested in advise,

My plan is to arrive in Ushuaia in December ish. But no real plan yet. Might go down thought Bolivia, Chile into Argentina and then back into Brazil..... Stay tuned!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #3638
Radioman OP
Moto rider

More of Lima

Lima is a large city, and I have had stuff to do, like my Brazil Visa, BMW service, Laundry etc. It is one of the stops on the way that you feel like just relaxing and not rushing about trying to see things. So much of the journey is seeing things outside of the big city at least for me.

At breakfast this was the placemat......... Like it!

But I did do a tour on the double decker to see a bit of the city, with Jordan and Anne which was fun. Then last night we took a cab to the "Magic Fountains" in central Lima.

Here they are in the "tunnel of water" Very cool colors and was fun to walk through the large park.

And more fountains before we reach the main attraction.

Saw several young girls dressed up for photos, and posing by the fountains. Assume it was Quinceanera

Then the main fountain with a laser show...

This morning I was just taking a walk down by the ocean, Parque Amour.

Your high above the ocean looking out to the west. Has been cloudy since I got here. Getting anxious to ride on.

Nice views.

Lots of surfers taking advantage of the breakers.

Then at the appointed time, I walked back to the Brazilian Embassy. Hoping that they would have my visa done otherwise I would have a whole 5 more days as next week as a holiday Monday and Tuesday. Was anxious, But It was ready! OK. Ready to depart Lima in the AM!! Great!!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #3639
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,178
WOW! 5 days... that's great!!!
Throttlemeister was told it would take 15 working days in the Brazil Embassy in Caracas, he then went to the Brazil Embassy in Bogota and they did it in 10 working days...

Hey! maybe as you move south, it takes less time? Maybe in Tierra del Fuego they give the visa on the spot?

Great to see you didn't have to wait that long and you can continue on your ride.

Buen viaje!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #3640
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
WOW! Buen viaje!
Gracias!! it was actually just 4 days as I got my paperwork in on Tuesday Am! (or maybe it is just John that they had a problem with )

Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #3641
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Leaving Lima today!

Looking forward to being on the road again after 5 days off the bike. Lima has been, in a word. Grey.

But had a great time with Jordan and Anne who are from the PNW!! Riding their KLR around SA for 6 months.

We have been getting together for Lunch or Dinner and a bit of sightseeing! Has been fun Safe travel to you both! See you down the road or up in Seattle!!

We also ran into Nick who also has a KLR. He is hanging around Lima as his money has run dry

He is at this Hostel which seemed to be a cool place to want to hang out. Just a few blocks from Parque Kennedy.

At dinner I finally tried the local drink...... Tastes like bubble gum. was fun to try but certainly not to my tastes.

Off I go for a ride down the coast!! (will end up in Huacachina- a desert Oasis)

Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #3642
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
The countdown begins, I think IIRC you have 90 days to enter Brazil once you get your Visa. I think I would go ahead a do a border run while you are nearer Brazil in Boliva or Peru so you don't have to worry about crossing over in time when you are way down South. Once its validated with the first crossing you are good for 10 years

I was ready to go home in early June but still had to go to Brazil to take care of the Visa and ended up with more trouble after that

Btw I left my passport at the Brazillian Consulate in Bogota so long they thought I was dead I was just having too much fun in Colombia
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #3643
Vinz Clortho
Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer: 33
Sweet! My friend's company makes those handguards here in Grass Valley, CA. I'll have to forward him this pic.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2009 KLR 650
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #3644
ARun4Your$
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Lookin good

Hey RM, looking good so far. I also appreciate the detail for the day I jump on my bike to do a solo ride to and from who knows where.....
ARun4Your$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #3645
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Btw I left my passport at the Brazillian Consulate in Bogota so long they thought I was dead I was just having too much fun in Colombia