View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #3331
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
I've had an 08 and a 10 GS and now have the TEX as do many other former GS owners over at the TEX owner's forum at
http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php?action=forum There's been a lot of discussion of the differences between the 2 bikes there.

Compared to the GSs I've had the TEX is a bit more top heavy and just a tad less "flickable" into the curves. Once into the curve though it sticks like glue just like the GS. The only other time I notice the weight is when pushing it around my garage.

What sold me on the bike is its motor. The sheer amount of torque and the smooth powerband are something to be experienced to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
just wondering if anyone has converted from a GSA to and explore and what their experiences is. I'm just baffled that this bike doesn't seem to get any attention in the comparisons. Everyone seems to compare the GSA to the super 10 which I have written for about 60 miles. It just didn't do much for me, seemed less powerful than my GS And I wasn't crazy with the wind buffeting on the highway.

I read some grumblings that the Explorer is heavy. Please note I had away my GSA to take it overseas and with no fuel but fully loaded with empty bags and accessories, it was right at 600 pounds. That's a far cry from the 485 dry weight they are advertised that and there's no way I have 115 pounds of accessories.

Can someone please give me some conversion experience from the GSA to another adventure platform.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #3332
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Wet weight of my bike on the scale at work was 580 lbs.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3333
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz,

Buy me one & I'll Buzz about it everyday. I can't afford one right now.

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz,
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3334
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Mine went swimming in the floods in Yorkshire

EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #3335
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
Why is this bike just not getting any buzz. It seems on paper and in the show room like the perfect adventure bike for me. I on my 3rd GS. The 1st 2 were no trouble at all, my new 2010 has been in the shop 12 times. The fuel injection and BM SK management has been horrific. It makes less and less horsepower every day. it's running so lean it costs and eyes at traffic lights and at times won't start. I'm currently in the process of getting BMW to eat this one. Frustration frustration frustration, I have about $3000 in accessories on it which will all probably end up on eBay. Or I'm just going to have to accept that BMW and the Germans couldn't write a correct piece of software if Einstein were still alive, And oh the power commander route and write my own fuel and ignition management software.

just wondering if anyone has converted from a GSA to and explore and what their experiences is. I'm just baffled that this bike doesn't seem to get any attention in the comparisons. Everyone seems to compare the GSA to the super 10 which I have written for about 60 miles. It just didn't do much for me, seemed less powerful than my GS And I wasn't crazy with the wind buffeting on the highway.

I read some grumblings that the Explorer is heavy. Please note I had away my GSA to take it overseas and with no fuel but fully loaded with empty bags and accessories, it was right at 600 pounds. That's a far cry from the 485 dry weight they are advertised that and there's no way I have 115 pounds of accessories.

Can someone please give me some conversion experience from the GSA to another adventure platform.
I don't think that you can compare the GSA to the Explorer given the fact the Explorer is trully aimed at the tarmac and occasional fire trail folk (not saying it can't do more but that's isn't its target in my opinion). I also don't think we will see a GSA contender for a while either (the recently shown XC version of the Explorer was just the same bike with spoked wheels).

In terms of the weight: when you are manoeuvring the bike by hand (or if you stop at a light and put your foot in a hole) it feels real top heavy to me but once it is moving it seems to shed those pounds immediately.

I strongly suggest getting a demo ride and then you'll be even more surprised why there isn't a huge mount of buzz about it. If you are looking for 300+ miles on a tank of gas and rugged off road capability then you WILL be disappointed but if you want a bike that handles terrificily and goes like a train in every gear without having to rev the nuts off it then you will love the Explorer.

I hope this gives you a little more food for thought.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #3336
hecpilot
Dreaming of my trip...

Oddometer: 47
Reasons for less than positive buzz:

1. A major motorcycle magazine recently proclaimed that the TEX is a joke for riding off road. This same magazine seems to be in love with the S10.

2. A very vocal minority is angry because it doesn't have an 8 gallon tank.

3. A very vocal minority on the TEX forum is angry that their 1200cc high performance triple makes noise. And vibrates too. Completely unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

As for me, I love mine. I expected it to be a fun, fast touring bike that I can take down a dirt road if necessary. It has exceeded my expectations.
hecpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #3337
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecpilot View Post
Reasons for less than positive buzz:

1. A major motorcycle magazine recently proclaimed that the TEX is a joke for riding off road. This same magazine seems to be in love with the S10.

2. A very vocal minority is angry because it doesn't have an 8 gallon tank.

3. A very vocal minority on the TEX forum is angry that their 1200cc high performance triple makes noise. And vibrates too. Completely unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

As for me, I love mine. I expected it to be a fun, fast touring bike that I can take down a dirt road if necessary. It has exceeded my expectations.

+1 on hecpilot's take on the TEX. I've got about 2700 miles on mine now & it's been absolutely perfect. I would guess that roughly 600 -700 miles have been on gravel, with 1/4 of that 2 up. It handles gravel roads every bit as well as my KLR, even better that the KLR with 2 riders.

I would agree that Triumph possibly engineered the TEX with taller riders in mind, ( I'm 6'4" & 240 pounds ), but there are getting to be a lot of shorter & lighter weight owners reporting in on the different forums now & most of them seem to be loving their Tigers too.

The Arrow can is supposed to weigh in @ around 1/2 of the stock aluminum alloy can & Triumph claims it adds about 3 hp. I have a new Scorpion can ordered for mine & like the arrow, it weighs in about 1/2 as much as the stock can & Scorpion claims an added 6 hp on their dyno.

I weighed mine on a truck scale full of fuel & with most of the available options & it weighed 580 pounds.

The 1215 tripple is the smoothest running motor I've ever owned and the 6 speed tranny hooked up to the shaft drive is incredible. BUZZZZZZ...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #3338
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
+1 on hecpilot's take on the TEX. I've got about 2700 miles on mine now & it's been absolutely perfect. I would guess that roughly 600 -700 miles have been on gravel, with 1/4 of that 2 up. It handles gravel roads every bit as well as my KLR, even better that the KLR with 2 riders.

I would agree that Triumph possibly engineered the TEX with taller riders in mind, ( I'm 6'4" & 240 pounds ), but there are getting to be a lot of shorter & lighter weight owners reporting in on the different forums now & most of them seem to be loving their Tigers too.

The Arrow can is supposed to weigh in @ around 1/2 of the stock aluminum alloy can & Triumph claims it adds about 3 hp. I have a new Scorpion can ordered for mine & like the arrow, it weighs in about 1/2 as much as the stock can & Scorpion claims an added 6 hp on their dyno.

I weighed mine on a truck scale full of fuel & with most of the available options & it weighed 580 pounds.

The 1215 tripple is the smoothest running motor I've ever owned and the 6 speed tranny hooked up to the shaft drive is incredible. BUZZZZZZ...
Big John,
looking forward to hearing about your Scorpion can; it's my first planned major upgrade in the Spring. Who are you getting it through?

Triumph Explorer
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #3339
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 855
FWIW

2012 TEx vs GS Touring Comparison
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #3340
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Review I wanted to hear :)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #3341
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
The King is Dead....Long Live the King
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #3342
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The King is Dead....Long Live the King
Maybe for the year....
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #3343
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Maybe for the year....
LOL

Looking forward to when the WC Boxer comes out just to see how it compares. I think that, given that BMW has sooo much experience in this fiekd, they should produce a bike to easily beat the Tiger but that's a high bar for sure.

I'm happy as can be with my Explorer so not looking to go German but I love the way competition breeds improvement.

Triumph Explorer
Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #3344
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Maybe for the year....
Yup.

The GS is a fine motorcycle (but not for me) that is getting a little long in the tooth so I expected nothing less to be honest.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 02:13 PM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #3345
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Big John,
looking forward to hearing about your Scorpion can; it's my first planned major upgrade in the Spring. Who are you getting it through?
Indiana Super Bikes (866-463-9720)

They don't have them listed yet on their website, but they can get them. I ordered mine a little over 2 weeks ago and it's s'posed to be here next week some time. It's part of the first shipment of the Scorpion cans to arrive here in the states.

Call them up & ask for Dave. I got mine for $515 shipped to my address. I wanted a CF can, but was asked about my riding habits & when I mentioned how much gravel I ride I was told to stick with stainless or titanium. It sounds like the CF doesn't stand up to rocks very well, and when they checked with Scorpion Corp. they were told the lifetime waranty wouldn't cover holes busted into the can so I ordered the titanium. The stainless was quoted to me @ $455 shipped.