Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
...how to make one??

I guess a two in one akra, single front disk, rims?, CPR air box, smaller tail...

Please tell me more, give me number, loads of speculations and plenty of pictures

Ciao

Nic
Here's a couple of things I did that are not on your list.

1. Single disc 1.6" front wheel with Talon hub and Tubliss system (no front tube). This combo saved about 5lbs. (Yeah, I don't know kg conversions).

2. Lighter battery. Switching to a LiPo battery saved about 5 lbs. as well.

Combine this with the other simple things you mentioned, and run no crash bars, panniers, etc. and the savings is significant. Is the bike now a 450? No. Is it better than a stock 950? Absolutely.

Take Navins opinions with a grain of salt. He makes solid points, but the dude is negative as hell. Come up with a great new idea for the 950 and he'll find a way to piss on it.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,730
Interesting. Are you guys using the 950A as a trail bike?

I only ask because the majority of the time mine is in the dirt is when I'm traveling with a fully loaded up bike. Exploring trails and roads to new locations far away from home. This seems to be where the 950/990 adventure makes sense. Do hundreds of miles of blacktop at speed and still be able to haul all your camping gear over the dirt passes and desert trails.

It seems if the intent is to only ride the local trails then the solution is a much smaller bike!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
maybe find a fabricator who works with Ti that can fabricate a complete frame for you which might save a few extra pounds/kilo's...it seems a bit extreme, but perhaps you can lead the way in terms of being the guinea pig and other perhaps would follow for "race" bikes...I have heard of this done in Ducati circles, so it isn't that weird, but it ain't cheap either.

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,085
Here is more negativity for Brent, I bought a li-po battery. If it gets colder than 40 degrees they are useless. I've had them from TurnTech, Ballistic, Shorai and another company who's name escapes me at the moment. For 4 different bikes I've bought them for and all 4 bikes went back to regular batts after they failed to start at races and events I drove 2-3 hours to attend. Great fun and exercise in faith jump starting a 450 lbs. bike to go to the beginning of a 90 mile enduro.

My SE has a 7 series Yuasa in it, it is far lighter than a 14 but I couldn't tell which was under the seat unless I looked!

My experience with weight was what I stated, I couldn't feel any differences. Theoretically it was better. Seat of the pants I got nothing. Others do? Great.

When KTM builds a better "FOR ME" 950 I'll ring the bell and run the flag down the street and be the first at my dealer with a deposit. Lower and more power isn't my preference. I don't ride shareholder reports or their stock values, I ride the bikes. If I wanted an Adv right now I'd search out a first run "S". What was that? 2004? Not progress from my viewpoint and i guess that offends some here?

Navin screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 09:44 AM
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
One more comment on weight saving exercises, my SE seems like it looses 20kg when I put the 19/17 wheels on, just because the CG moves 1 inch down. So, lowering the suspension (if you're happy with your ground clearance) will do wonders to effective weight. On the expense of stability of course.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Oddometer: 809
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

This is the situation: currently I have a 690R that I use for trails and off road trips. I also have a 990 2008. It is my third one. My first 950 was the best I had. With 9x0 I have travelle through some 20 countries in three different continents. At the end I concluded that the 990 it wasn't for off and I have been using it only for road trips over the last three years. Now I am selling it for a Multistrada 1200 (as soon as I sold my 990). The problem is that I ma madly in love for the LC8 ADV, possibly an old 2004-5 S. I want to buy one and keep it for ever. The idea is to use it aso off road...but in order to make my life easier I want to know if making it lighter will help.

So tell me about what would you do to the suspension of so magic?

P.S. ...modification yes...but in moderation! Carbon fiber? Who am I?

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I'll let the Adv guys guide you on their suspensions. I can't recall that far back on specifics, been a few years.

My SE was oversprung out back and too soft in front. It is now balanced and progressive. I think the Adv suffers the same problems. The bike behaves better when it isn't kickin the rear and wallowing up front. Riding a 250 lbs bike with poorly balanced suspension is bad enough, the 450-500 lbs 9X0 will just amplify any weakness there. All the weight also destroys the springs so expect to replace them fairly often.

Tires are HUGE off road, cause again, the weight will push the front if it can't bite and low traction mulitplies the suspension woes,,,it just feeds the problems.

Gearing. I started going lower and lower and settled on 16-50 on my SE. My top cruise speeds are around 75 MPH but I'll run it up to 100 when I feel like it. Lower gears, more traction and grippy tires with real wheel control are about as good as it'll get IMO.

I think the SE is a true 40 lbs lighter but feels like 100 lighter to me. An illusion from the fairing or better stock suspension???

Nobody but me seemed to want a 75 lbs lighter Adv/SE from responses in the 1190 thread. I guess it'd have been just the two of us buddy!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Interesting. Are you guys using the 950A as a trail bike?

I only ask because the majority of the time mine is in the dirt is when I'm traveling with a fully loaded up bike. Exploring trails and roads to new locations far away from home. This seems to be where the 950/990 adventure makes sense. Do hundreds of miles of blacktop at speed and still be able to haul all your camping gear over the dirt passes and desert trails.

It seems if the intent is to only ride the local trails then the solution is a much smaller bike!
Even if I do go on a multi day trip I'll pack as light as possible (giantloop + small tent ) so when I'm riding I'm actually having fun riding and pushing what a 990 can do. In my opinion it's why I got a 990 over some other bikes. If I was loaded up and commuting like a bus I dont see the point of having a performance machine under my butt. Just as well could be riding a vstrom or any other bike.

Of course different people enjoy different aspects of riding so as long as it's an adventure for someone then it's all good.

So I fully support lighting the bike up.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #24
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,730
Talking

I'm always in favor of a lighter set up! Not sure you can make huge difference on a bike being used to travel and camp with. (Talking about the actual lightening of the bike vs. the way you pack it) When I'm in the middle of nowhere I want things like fuel, grab handles for picking the bike up, fairings, comfy seat, full power battery, center stand, etc.

Just seems like the only way to really shed some serious weight off the 950 is to take away all the parts that make it do what it does best.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

I agree that what makes the 9x0 so cool is also responsible for the high weight

I don't usualy like to ride with tent and so on..and if I do that I either have a support car (like I did many time in the Sahara) or I chose easy trails if not pure tarmac road.

Still I will try to get my LC8 lighter!

Ciao

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Here is more negativity for Brent, I bought a li-po battery. If it gets colder than 40 degrees they are useless. I've had them from TurnTech, Ballistic, Shorai and another company who's name escapes me at the moment. For 4 different bikes I've bought them for and all 4 bikes went back to regular batts after they failed to start at races and events I drove 2-3 hours to attend. Great fun and exercise in faith jump starting a 450 lbs. bike to go to the beginning of a 90 mile enduro.
Gone through 2 shorais so far. First one dieed tried starting in the cold (not really that cold it was about mid 40's F) Last one I was on a trip and I think the heat both form the bike and ambient temp cooked it. I am back to the stock battery. The weight gain doesn't do shit when that light battery strands you on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Gone through 2 shorais so far. First one dieed tried starting in the cold (not really that cold it was about mid 40's F) Last one I was on a trip and I think the heat both form the bike and ambient temp cooked it. I am back to the stock battery. The weight gain doesn't do shit when that light battery strands you on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Drop 7 lbs but have to push 487? Yeah, no thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Drop 7 lbs but have to push 487? Yeah, no thanks.
Ok I got regarding battery issue!

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomgovroom View Post
maybe find a fabricator who works with Ti that can fabricate a complete frame for you which might save a few extra pounds/kilo's...

The stock frame only weighs 23lbs...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,621
You will be chasing the ever elusive weight savings by throwing piles of money at it.

Think about where most of it is...you will have to take tiny steps to make any large gains. single TI exhaust, TI bolts, TI frame (!), lighter rims, lighter tires, lighter brakes, lighter battery, lighter...in the end you might save a few pounds (mostly in your wallet).

Going on a diet might be cheaper.