Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 376 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #3706
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLED View Post
A recent airshow over here celebrating the 75th anniversary of our airbase. Shame we don't have much of an airforce anymore but a lot of people that love old planes. Had some cool visitors for the show - Ozzie Hornets and a couple C-17's etc...I flattened 2 camera batteries and ended up having to use my phone for a couple...

More pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1148217...eat=directlink
Nice pics.

You will notice that the Australian Hornets are fitted with the very sophisticated external, centre line drop tank.....and thats about it. State of the art or what?
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #3707
riderjohn
Tag Sniper

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLED View Post
Just had to post this! The only de Havilland Mosquito flying in the world. Beautifully restored here in NZ - soon to be sent Stateside to it's lucky owner. Really wish I could pop up to Auckland tomorrow to see it being put through it's paces...

I saw a flying Mosquito at an air show in Texas about 20 years ago.I wonder what happened to it if this one is,in fact,the only one in the world flying?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #3708
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderjohn View Post
I saw a flying Mosquito at an air show in Texas about 20 years ago.I wonder what happened to it if this one is,in fact,the only one in the world flying?

Mosquito TT.35 RS712 is on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, but is owned by Kermit Weeks. It was civil registered G-ASKB in 1963 for use in the film 633 Squadron. Aircraft last flew in 1989
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #3709
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post
Nice pics.

You will notice that the Australian Hornets are fitted with the very sophisticated external, centre line drop tank.....and thats about it. State of the art or what?
Thanks. More sophisticated than our non-existant strike aircraft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderjohn View Post
Apparently this is the first to take to the skies in 15 years - rebuilt from a wreck found in Canada. http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/index.html
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #3710
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
T

Great Lakes 2T-1a-2...1929 design built in 1975. About halfway between a Stearman and a Pitts...
How turbulent is the air in back seat? Reason I ask is that I've kicked around the idea of getting a Hatz to putz around in. The only open cockpit plane I've flow is a friend's PT-19. The air was smooth as silk but it was a low wing so I'm wondering what kind of turbulence you get off the top wing. Not that it's a big deal - I've got a lot of hours flying a J-3 with the door open. Just curious.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #3711
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
How turbulent is the air in back seat? Reason I ask is that I've kicked around the idea of getting a Hatz to putz around in. The only open cockpit plane I've flow is a friend's PT-19. The air was smooth as silk but it was a low wing so I'm wondering what kind of turbulence you get off the top wing. Not that it's a big deal - I've got a lot of hours flying a J-3 with the door open. Just curious.
You are fine as long as you stay behind the little windscreens. Nothing noticeable from the wings. Put a hand out and its like...well putting your hand out of the car window at 100mph
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #3712
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,570
They pulled these out of the hangar yesterday while the owner used it for a little get together...

These are few more of his collection.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #3713
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
They pulled these out of the hangar yesterday while the owner used it for a little get together...

[/IMG]
There was a staggerwing at my local airport for awhile. The owner had it in the corner of one of the hangars the FBO owned with cones and caution tape around it at all times. I heard he ended up trading it in for a Stinson Gullwing. He had a thing for classic luxury radials.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #3714
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

On a slightly different note - anyone in Queensland, Australia know if theres a couple of F22's buzzing around the coast?

A couple of people I know reckon they have seen one this weekend (29 & 30 Sep) but I was under the impression that none have been delivered yet?

Google is no help and no one has any pics.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #3715
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
On a slightly different note - anyone in Queensland, Australia know if theres a couple of F22's buzzing around the coast?

A couple of people I know reckon they have seen one this weekend (29 & 30 Sep) but I was under the impression that none have been delivered yet?

Google is no help and no one has any pics.
They are operational but under restriction because of problems with the oxygen system.

I saw one over Wisconsin two years ago:

Afterburners lit
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #3716
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
They are operational but under restriction because of problems with the oxygen system.

I saw one over Wisconsin two years ago:

Afterburners lit
Cheers, but Wisconsin isn't Queensland, Australia.

I'm pretty sure the observers have it wrong, as the RAAF website lists them as a "future acquisition" and the events section only mentions Hornets flying around South East Queensland. Having said that, there may be one or two already here.

Shadow10 screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 09:12 PM
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #3717
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Cheers, but Wisconsin isn't Queensland, Australia.

I'm pretty sure the observers have it wrong, as the RAAF website lists them as a "future acquisition" and the events section only mentions Hornets flying around South East Queensland. Having said that, there may be one or two already here.
You just asked if they were operational, and yes, they are. They may be visiting US aircraft. Are you thinking of the F-35, which Australia is looking to acquire?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #3718
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
You just asked if they were operational, and yes, they are. They may be visiting US aircraft. Are you thinking of the F-35, which Australia is looking to acquire?
No I didn't.

I specifically asked - "...anyone in Queensland, Australia know if theres a couple of F22's buzzing around the coast?"

Please re-read the post you quoted.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #3719
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
No I didn't.

I specifically asked - "...anyone in Queensland, Australia know if theres a couple of F22's buzzing around the coast?"

Please re-read the post you quoted.

There could well be USAF F22s buzzing about Queensland. They've attended airshows down under. Again, I'm pretty sure Australia is not looking to acquire any.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #3720
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,259
I meant to post this, finally got around to it. Very unusual.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: