Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #31
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,149
Favs... Rider, Road Rider, Motorcycle Escape and BMW Motorcycle Magazine. Great content.
Least favs...Cycle World. Lots of hot air and very little useful info.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Showing how old I am, I think I still have (hidden somewhere) the first issue of Cycle magazine I bought in 1970. That was shortly after Cook Nielson took over the magazine. It has a picture of Dick Mann's Daytona-winning Honda 750 on the cover. It also had a short article on the Yamaha Mini-Enduro (JT-1), which was my dream bike at the time. The magazine's high water mark was when Nielson and Shilling ran the Hot Rod.

Now, I prefer Performance Bike from the UK (I subscribe). Lots of stuff about older bikes and how to keep them on the road, willing to say tough stuff about bikes they're reviewing. Fun features like their monthly Garages, and Guy Martin is a columnist.

Bike is good as well (I subscribe to this, too), but it was awesome ten years ago when Dan Walsh was writing for them. The best motorcycle writer ever. Buy a copy of his assembled aritings, These are the Days That Must Happen to You. Brilliant stuff. Damon l'Anson was good, too, but did not stay that long.

CW and Motorcyclist? Meh. I might buy them if I see them on the rack in the supermarket.

well to each his own. I would have said Dan Walsh is the WORST motorcycle writer ever.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #33
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
well to each his own. I would have said Dan Walsh is the WORST motorcycle writer ever.
Dan Walsh is an acquired taste with a Gonzo style but to me he is clearly a very gifted writer who interweaves a personal perspective to his writing, one focused on searching for meaning in his travels and his place in the world. I enjoyed his book immensely.

So, Bike is my clear favorite and Motorcyclist/Cycle World tie for least.

Jeff
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #34
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,501
Magazine choice aside, I always marvel at how the writer of the article about the latest/greatest will rave about a new model, and toss out things like "of course it's much better than the last model which had terrible head shake" or "the last bike as we know had horrible vibrations".

Wait a minute, you never wrote there was any problem with the last bike. No mention of head shake or vibrations, just boundless praise, so where does this "as we know" crap come from? I've noticed car mag writers do the exact same thing, so it must be an industry standard.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you there. Still a fan of BIKE but gave up reading anything written by him.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
You too huh?
How the hell does guys like him make a living as motorcycle journalists? He rambles on and on about getting drunk and it is barely coherent. When you wer ein high school/college, did you ever record yourself with your friends getting drunk or stoned? Then the next morning, once you were sober again you listened to it and it was complete and utter crap? That is what reading Dan Wlash's rubbish is like for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #37
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Favorites:

Cycle World, because I can't stand reading anything by James Parker (brilliant engineer, but comes across in his articles like an insufferable prick) or Aaron Frank. But I do like Kevin Cameron.

Rider, because I like reading Clem Salvadori's stuff.

And both subs are really cheap.

I also like MCN, should resubscribe sometime. The only US rag that's not supported by ad dollars.

I like PB (got the first 3 Video Nastys on VHS) and Bike but not enough to buy them.

So the least favorite would be Motorcyclist (see above). Too bad Dan Walsh writes for them, I really like his stuff.

I guess if one's a little too milquetoast to be drinking heavily and fucking 20 year-old women they wouldn't like his style very much.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
My two year subscription to Motorcyclist is about to expire, and I have no intention of renewing it. I think it's a dull publication. I'd like to hear from people here what magazines they read and love, or have read and really disliked. I'm going to subscribe to a new magazine based on your input. And I like hearing criticism of bad things, because, who doesn't?

So to start off, I don't have a favourite, hence why I'm asking you guys. For my least favourite, I guess it's the one I'm reading now, Motorcyclist. Here's what I don't like about Motorcyclist:

- It's absolutely chock full of boring, one-page editorials that feel like they were written the day before they were due. Lots of reminiscing about first bikes, buying used bikes, new technology, old technology, the bike that got away, etc, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but you've gotta have a good story to tell, and you've got to tell it well. That seldom happens. And if you're going to ramble on about something I barely care about, put in some interesting pictures!

- They include a few token cruiser reviews, usually written by some guy who hates cruisers.

- They have more and more articles on electric bikes and scooters. I shouldn't mind that, but I often just skip or skim these articles.

- They are full of really uninteresting insider news about the staff of the magazine, about who went to what show and who met this famous motorcycle dude from the sixties, and who bought his favourite 90's bike. Seriously.

- The last page is devoted to a goofy picture and half a page of really, really unfunny writing, often referencing someone from the staff (more unfunny inside jokes).

- There is a section called "Doin' Time" where they list off all the expensive mods they've done on a particular motorcycle that they are evaluating long term, and then they say nothing about how fun the bike is to ride, or where they've ridden it, or anything close to a personal, interesting observation about the bike.

Anyways, you get the point. Motorcyclist replaced their Editor In Chief, and I hoped for some changes, but it's been the same old boring articles in the same old template.
Totally agree about Motorcyclist. Immature, self absorbed. It was a foregone conclusion that they would pick the Honda CB750 or some such as the mc of the century recently. I'm not saying the CB750 wasn't important, but the foregone conclusion was that they would pick a bike that was important to THEM, in their formative years. Anything previous to their own personal experience - no way it would be considered.

I was glad Catterson - a legend in his own mind- left CW for Motorcyclist as it improved Cycle World, pretty much my favorite.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #39
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
BIKE is by far one of the best for an array of bikes. I still read Cycle World mainly for Peter Egan and Kevin Cameron's pieces.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
MCN is my favorite as they provide fairly honest reviews of bikes/gear/products since they are not directly beholden to the companies that make them. (i.e. add $$$$)

I also subscribe to CW & Motorcyclist as well. I figure it is interesting to compare each magazines reviews to each other to try and figure out anything however it is more often then not that both CW & Motorcyclist will give blushing reviews of a particular motorcycle and then MCN will give it a mediocre review. This just reinforces the fact that advertising money plays a role in how the magazine reviews and shows that MCN at least tries to be subjective when reviewing a product.

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Thanks so much for the great responses so far. I'm about to subscribe to MCN, but will mull it over and do more research for a few days.

I did read a friend's copy of Bike. I thought, wow, what a fun, dynamic magazine.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #42
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,491
I have been getting RoadRunner for the last 5 years . Will probably let the subscription lapse , as I find I am not reading them as I
used to .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
BIKE, I like the shiny pictures

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #44
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
You too huh?
How the hell does guys like him make a living as motorcycle journalists? He rambles on and on about getting drunk and it is barely coherent. When you wer ein high school/college, did you ever record yourself with your friends getting drunk or stoned? Then the next morning, once you were sober again you listened to it and it was complete and utter crap? That is what reading Dan Wlash's rubbish is like for me.
Dan doesn't earn a living as a writer, not exclusivey anyway.

He's an Inmate here on ADV too.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #45
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
He's an Inmate here on ADV too.
Sweet.

Sounds like a fun guy to go riding, drinking and chasing women with.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote