Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #9256
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
FYI, when I snapped the rear bottom frame bolt (the long one that goes throught the sub frame piece and the engine between the pegs), the bike felt like riding an overcooked piece of spaghetti. Was not a pleasant feeling.
i will keep mine on for sure! i guess they bolt it on there for something more than to hold parts lol!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #9257
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Most definitely. Pressure washer after long rides.

I even had notmybikemodelname pee through the fins to unclog it on the trail. He always offers that service and also filled up my cooling reservoir.
Bet that left a pleasant odor

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #9258
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i will keep mine on for sure! i guess they bolt it on there for something more than to hold parts lol!
I haven't removed my subframe piece so it had nothing to do with that, just thought I'd mention whatever you do, find a way to keep that long bolt since it serves a purpose. Guess it actually sheared rather than snapped when the different pieces started moving after it got loose. Same happened with all the shorty framebolts on the rear as well as the medium long one at the bottom front of the engine.

Two words: lock washers.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #9259
tzabcan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thumb

Nice fairing, it's the 'lynx' right? Which bike is it for and what did you have to do to mount it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
I think crash bars are over rated... I do just fine without them.

She fell over while I was shutting the gate.

tzabcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #9260
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
FYI, when I snapped the rear bottom frame bolt (the long one that goes through the sub frame piece and the engine between the pegs), the bike felt like riding an overcooked piece of spaghetti. Was not a pleasant feeling.
Did a 6 hour ride yesterday and can't say I noticed a difference, but then again that is the first time I have ridden it since spring (sad I know, but my Husky has got a lot of time on it ). I think I will put the bolt back in just to see. Thanks for the tip.

Bike felt great though. I put it through some punishing stuff that I had not even ridden my small 450 through! I should have taken a picture of a couple of the "roads", but I was having too much fun to stop. Suspension worked overtime for sure! Bottom'd out more than once!

A few from the tamest roads I was on yesterday.

Snow up there! Yikes!!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #9261
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessitori View Post
Anyone here has a set of HDB handguards with the integrated mirrors mounted on their Dakar?
If so could you post a picture of them?
Look in my pics above, my HDB guards on the bike with the mirrors in.

One deployed, one in (old photo):

mattomoto screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 06:32 PM
mattomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #9262
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzabcan View Post
Nice fairing, it's the 'lynx' right? Which bike is it for and what did you have to do to mount it?
tzabcan your close. It's the mirage 1 and it is designed to suit the '4 screw' screen. After talking to Brittania I used an industrial strength heat gun to reshape it to my '3 screw' shape. Still not perfect but it works. Hard to see in the pic it has quite a few wraps of black speed tape holding it all together after one screw fell out. It's done 2000km like that so I better put the screw back in soon
Next winter I might use it as a template to make a new fiberglass one piece headlight/dash/screen unit to suit the twin Hella lights globe access at the moment is a pain requiring dismantling the whole setup, not helpful when your out n about.
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #9263
tzabcan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ah, I see. The twin lights threw me off. Are they the touratech one or something else? I'm bummed that Britannia doesn't make something for the 3 screw 650s. The lynx is awesome looking. Aside from the mounting problems and bulb access do you like the sliding screen design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
tzabcan your close. It's the mirage 1 and it is designed to suit the '4 screw' screen. After talking to Brittania I used an industrial strength heat gun to reshape it to my '3 screw' shape. Still not perfect but it works. Hard to see in the pic it has quite a few wraps of black speed tape holding it all together after one screw fell out. It's done 2000km like that so I better put the screw back in soon
Next winter I might use it as a template to make a new fiberglass one piece headlight/dash/screen unit to suit the twin Hella lights globe access at the moment is a pain requiring dismantling the whole setup, not helpful when your out n about.
tzabcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #9264
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Water temp sensor

Anyone know if theres a port available to put a water temp sensor?? Was going to use an inline hose adapter but would rather have it in the engine if possible.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #9265
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzabcan View Post
Ah, I see. The twin lights threw me off. Are they the touratech one or something else? I'm bummed that Britannia doesn't make something for the 3 screw 650s. The lynx is awesome looking. Aside from the mounting problems and bulb access do you like the sliding screen design?
No not TT but thats the effect I was after Hella DE's mounted to an alloy plate screwed to the original headlight mounts, took a bit of mucking about to get right. I like the sliding screen, run it full up mode for travelling and full down for fire trail work. I gave Brittania some feedback and pics on trying to fit it to the 3 screw dash and they were willing to refund if I wasn't happy with it. I needed something to combat buffeting and it's the best outcome so far.

Low beam 1029-12v

High beam 1030-12v

ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #9266
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Did a 6 hour ride yesterday and can't say I noticed a difference, but then again that is the first time I have ridden it since spring (sad I know, but my Husky has got a lot of time on it ). I think I will put the bolt back in just to see. Thanks for the tip.

Bike felt great though. I put it through some punishing stuff that I had not even ridden my small 450 through! I should have taken a picture of a couple of the "roads", but I was having too much fun to stop. Suspension worked overtime for sure! Bottom'd out more than once!

Snow up there! Yikes!!!!

Great pics Matto!

Looks like Brian Head this time of year.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #9267
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Anyone know if theres a port available to put a water temp sensor?? Was going to use an inline hose adapter but would rather have it in the engine if possible.
No idea on a port but if you're measuring water temp you really want to know the temp coming out of the radiator. It'll always be hot in and coming out of the engine, you only need to worry if it's still hot going back in.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #9268
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post

Nice country that, must bring my bike and visit when I win the lottery (which has to be any day now, been buying tickets for so fucken long it's ridiculous)

I should perhaps add that my bike was super laden with camping gear and since the bolt sheared at the RHS it was still pretty taut on the LHS so only flexed on the one side which is probably why I noticed.

This happened in the middle of the Victorian high country and I fixed it by buying a meter long (8 or 10mm ?) threaded rod which I sawed down to the proper lenght (about a foot ?) and added two nuts that I could lock against each other to lock it (It threads into a welded on nut on the LHS). The temporary fix is still on there 6 years later.

In my mind at least that bolt is what keeps the whole frame from flexing at the top engine/ frame mount (where the castle nut is)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #9269
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
You won the jackpot lottery when we let you into Oz to litter the high country with broken bolts and the outback with all the other bits that fell off so no more lottery wins for you. I notice you still have that gift we gave you too, that red coloured dye sure hangs around for life, gets under the skin as well
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #9270
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
You won the jackpot lottery when we let you into Oz to litter the high country with broken bolts and the outback with all the other bits that fell off so no more lottery wins for you. I notice you still have that gift we gave you too, that red coloured dye sure hangs around for life, gets under the skin as well
Yeah that shit really gets on there

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !