ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #69721
805gregg
Just Stroming along
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ojai, Ca
Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
So, does anyone here have a 790 or 780 kit installed?
Check over at DRRidders
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #69722
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,798
I'm pretty sure Jeff has tested it out.... http://www.procycle.us/info/articles/dr650/780-kit.html
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #69723
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
great visuals!

how is it people say the ktm needle works better than an oem needle shimmed? i have 2 washers under an oem needle and was thinking about a ktm needle. i see a wider ktm needle and that means less gas at the oem needle assuming the same resting position.

even the fp needle is wider. the only advantage those 2 have is clip adjust-ability but washers under the factory needle work just fine to raise the needle and thus more gas...plus the factory needle is thinner as lets more gas through. i see it being the best oem shape option. plus the fp & ktm needle are longer and sit deeper in the carb, less gas, than oem.


am i missing something here???
I am pretty sure the numbers in the chart represent the area left open around the needle -- not the needle diamenter. So it is a little confusing. The KTM one is actually slightly thinner throughout then the (DR) OEM.

Also the KTM needle is slightly longer because it was designed to be used with the white spacer and an additional (KTM) washer under that, so I am assuming it would sit basically at the same height as the DR needle.


Edit: Just speculating here, but the additional metal washer/shim on the KTM may have been to protect the white spacer from wear because of the vibrations from the KTM motor. The extra weight of that washer (added to the overall slide weight) may have also contributed to the reason why the KTM slide had two lift holes, to optimize slide lift.

Rumlover screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 09:18 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #69724
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Ding Aling,thats the hard way.The reply from the poster is the easy way.But ya thats the way to do when all else failsNothing wrong with asking first.Thats what this fourm is for
The stock seat bolts are turned to a bit of point (at least mine are) to make it easier to start them when the seat is fightin' yah.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #69725
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The stock seat bolts are turned to a bit of point (at least mine are) to make it easier to start them when the seat is fightin' yah.
I hear ya,it's just back to the bolt store to get another bolt that went missing.The last one was a heat shield bolt.The last one lasted 3 years
Bike Runs very well and strong.Move up to 7000',had to change out the pilot down one size(turning it did nothing till fully closed) and the needle clip lower one slot.Plugs alittle dark.The thing starts up at 40 degree weather on one or two rev with no choke.All in all very happy with it
Other than the horn bracket breaking in half again,it's all good.
__________________
97dr650 FCR-MX pumper,plus other goodies
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #69726
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Why is that Jeff, so the tank doesn't distort too much. I did notice this time I've taken the tank off compared to others times is I had quite a bit of fuel in it - around 3/4 full. May this is why it was a struggle?
Yes. One time I had the half full Safari off the bike for a week. The tank spread so much that the front brace holes were 1-1/2" off! I had to wrap a ratchet tiedown around the tank to squeeze it enough the get the brace bolts in. It was a major PITA.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 10:10 AM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #69727
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,123
oh man you're right. i was reading that inversely. thnx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I am pretty sure the numbers in the chart represent the area left open around the needle -- not the needle diamenter. So it is a little confusing. The KTM one is actually slightly thinner throughout then the (DR) OEM.

Also the KTM needle is slightly longer because it was designed to be used with the white spacer and an additional (KTM) washer under that, so I am assuming it would sit basically at the same height as the DR needle.


Edit: Just speculating here, but the additional metal washer/shim on the KTM may have been to protect the white spacer from wear because of the vibrations from the KTM motor. The extra weight of that washer (added to the overall slide weight) may have also contributed to the reason why the KTM slide had two lift holes, to optimize slide lift.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #69728
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
great visuals!

how is it people say the ktm needle works better than an oem needle shimmed? i have 2 washers under an oem needle and was thinking about a ktm needle. i see a wider ktm needle and that means less gas at the oem needle assuming the same resting position.

even the fp needle is wider. the only advantage those 2 have is clip adjust-ability but washers under the factory needle work just fine to raise the needle and thus more gas...plus the factory needle is thinner as lets more gas through. i see it being the best oem shape option. plus the fp & ktm needle are longer and sit deeper in the carb, less gas, than oem.


am i missing something here???
Aside from the clarification by Rumlover about exposed area (thanks Rumlover!), also note that except for the DJ needle, the chart seems to be arranged with the tips even, which isn't all that useful. It would be better to look at mxrob's chart with the diameters, simply because the measurements are all taken in relationship to distance from the third clip (when adjustable).

As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm. Note that the additional preload from shimming the needle will also make the slide come off the stop at a later point in terms of rpm and throttle position (i.e. more velocity will be required to get it to come up off of the stop).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #69729
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
The thing starts up at 40 degree weather on one or two rev with no choke........
This normally means the idle circuit is too rich and could be wasting fuel once the engine warms up. But you're happy with it, so theoretical guessing on my part is irrelevant. I'm just jealous that you have a TM-40 and I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yes. One time I had the half full Safari off the bike for a week. The tank spread so much that the front brace holes were 1-1/2" off! I had to wrap a ratchet tiedown around the tank to squeeze it enough the get the brace bolts in. It was a major PIA.
Dang, 1-1/2" is a bunch. I'm glad you measured it to give others an idea of what to look for.
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,300 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #69730
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Aside from the clarification by Rumlover about exposed area (thanks Rumlover!), also note that except for the DJ needle, the chart seems to be arranged with the tips even, which isn't all that useful. It would be better to look at mxrob's chart with the diameters, simply because the measurements are all taken in relationship to distance from the third clip (when adjustable).

As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm. Note that the additional preload from shimming the needle will also make the slide come off the stop at a later point in terms of rpm and throttle position (i.e. more velocity will be required to get it to come up off of the stop).

Regards,

Derek
The only issue I have with mxrob's chart is that it doesn't show the white spacer (or the metal KTM shim) under the clip. That is the stock configuration, and would put the bottoms of the needles (KTM vs DR) at pretty much the same height.
Just the addition of the white spacer alone would put them a lot closer.

Also I believe the general consensus is that the DJ needle in that chart is meant to sit at the bottom of the slide (along side the shelf, not on the shelf). This would also make its installed height a little closer to (DR) OEM then pictured in the chart.
Not sure how the Procycle needle falls in there height wise compared to OEM. A lot of variables to be sure.

Rumlover screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 11:06 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #69731
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash
The thing starts up at 40 degree weather on one or two rev with no choke........


"This normally means the idle circuit is too rich and could be wasting fuel once the engine warms up. But you're happy with it, so theoretical guessing on my part is irrelevant. I'm just jealous that you have a TM-40 and I don't. "

Well it's a FCR-MX,almost the same thing
__________________
97dr650 FCR-MX pumper,plus other goodies
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #69732
MADurstewitz
MADMark
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Joisey, not far from NYC
Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
So, does anyone here have a 790 or 780 kit installed?
790. Yes! I love it! While I was in there (bearing failure made me rebuild the motor) I put in skf bearings and kibblewhite valves as well. Lots of smooth power. Bike goes like hell and still gets great mileage.
__________________
MAD
(yes, those are my real initials)
MADurstewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #69733
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Well it's a FCR-MX,almost the same thing
Oops.
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,300 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #69734
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Getting the Safari tank back on was the marathon of the day. The alignment with the brackets seems to change every time I take it off and back on again. I seem to be coming up with new techniques to get the bloody thing back on.

I may start a "how to put the safari tank back on hints and tips thread page"..............is there one out there already.

anyway, thanks for all the feedback (again)
I didn't realize the Safari was difficult to remove/replace. If that's the case with ALL of them ... then definitely not for me. I've taken my IMS off and on at least 30 times in just the last few years. I routinely take the tank off for any maintenance or Carb tuning. Very handy with the IMS, which comes in just minutes. I've done it on the road in Mexico, never a problem.

Access is important to me ... and is a BIG PLUS on the DR650 in general.
I see guys on BMW's sweating in the hot sun, going through 30 minutes of struggle just to get down to something.

The IMS and new Acerbis give over 230 to 250 miles of range (depending how bike is tuned) . Plenty of range for this continent ... Oz is a different world of course.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #69735
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 97,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The IMS and new Acerbis give over 230 to 250 miles of range (depending how bike is tuned) . Plenty of range for this continent ... Oz is a different world of course.
I got 60 miles to the gallon on one tankful recently. Almost 300 mile range on that tank. (IMS tank) I've gone to a 16-tooth front sprocket.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014