Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #976
bigequip
Ol' fart riding

Oddometer: 81
If you go 40 home, 93 to 40 watch your speed, California will let you go 78 in the desert, AZ will not let you go over the speed limit and the cops hide in the center divider. NM is pretty strict too. Don't want any f..ing performance awards. Have a safe trip, we will be watching!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #977
pdxbrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigequip View Post
If you go 40 home, 93 to 40 watch your speed, California will let you go 78 in the desert, AZ will not let you go over the speed limit and the cops hide in the center divider. NM is pretty strict too. Don't want any f..ing performance awards. Have a safe trip, we will be watching!!!
I don't think Doug will have any issues with speeding.

Track me on my Delorme Inreach SE

pdxbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #978
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,839
I-40 across TX OK AR has got to be the most boring route in North America. Maybe a detour to Big Bend and then to Cajun country is in order?

oh - and I love the KZ!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #979
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,840
someone is gonna get a speeding ticket ...
Hope ya have fair skys all the way home Doug suppose to piss rain for the next 2 days in north Mississippi
but with that tall windscreen ...you won`t get wet
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #980
charlie101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
It's gonna be like riding on cotton balls all the way home!
Yeah, that's why I'm keeping away from smooth and fast.
charlie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #981
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
What a great story with a great ending / beginning of the second part!

I wonder if the mechanical problems encountered by all of the riders was typical of the first few generations of motorcycles, instead of being an artifact of these bike's age. How reliable were those old bikes? I can't imagine what it must have been like for those riders a half-century ago. Makes me appreciate my brand-new FJR... but a retro repro with modern mechanicals would be pretty neat. Could that have been what the OCC guys were thinking as they watched at the start?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #982
charlie101
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
What a great story with a great ending / beginning of the second part!

I wonder if the mechanical problems encountered by all of the riders was typical of the first few generations of motorcycles, instead of being an artifact of these bike's age. How reliable were those old bikes? I can't imagine what it must have been like for those riders a half-century ago. Makes me appreciate my brand-new FJR... but a retro repro with modern mechanicals would be pretty neat. Could that have been what the OCC guys were thinking as they watched at the start?
I was looking all over the forums for damage reports in order to learn something from the CB about the weakness in the engines, but very little was described in detail. I don't know if the guys where ashamed of mistakes they done in their restorations or if the parts where weak in construction. Some things a normal restorer can't have control of, coils, condensers and some is more difficult, generators, magnetos, metallurgy and such, but still I think there was little willingness to describe their obstacles and remedies.
Retro repro is what most already do more or less in these rare machines, and there is many nearly complete repro bikes out rolling. A few even in both CB's. Some think it's wrong, but I'm of different opinion. My take is that it is the original constructers and technology of the time that is celebrated not the metal in it self. That's why damage reports are so interesting in my mind.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #983
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 729
Doesn't Mike from Kiwi's make a retro Indian with modern metals?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #984
charlie101
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldomike View Post
Doesn't Mike from Kiwi's make a retro Indian with modern metals?
That's right, he's doing a top notch job on the later Chiefs.

charlie101 screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 05:20 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #985
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Guys, you have to remember that when "new" these old bikes ran great but age had caught up to them that most parts are just plan tired and can't handle the punishment like they did when they were younger. Mags and coils go bad without much warning, leaving you high and dry on the side of the road. Not like you can just stop in at your local (insert your favorite brand here} and pick up a new one. Kiwi Mike is doing late model Chiefs, although some of his parts are interchangable with some of the early models, his retro bikes won't qualifie.
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #986
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
GET YOUR KICKS... ON ROUTE 66! And page 66 of this epic ride report. Doug, hope you're havin' a good ride.

The Scorpion
DESERT SCORPION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #987
Whitehorse2003
nose pickin GOB

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
Guys, you have to remember that when "new" these old bikes ran great but age had caught up to them that most parts are just plan tired and can't handle the punishment like they did when they were younger. Mags and coils go bad without much warning, leaving you high and dry on the side of the road. Not like you can just stop in at your local (insert your favorite brand here} and pick up a new one. Kiwi Mike is doing late model Chiefs, although some of his parts are interchangable with some of the early models, his retro bikes won't qualifie.

Right on, and 80 year old metal is not the same as we have today, even when it was new. Kinda like the 80 year old codger sittin in his rocker on the porch.. Sittin there rockin might be ok, but runnin down the street after a short skirt,,,,
Aint gonna ketch it, and somthins gonna break !!!!!
Whitehorse2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #988
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
So, could you make effectively NOS parts that interchange, maybe at a component level, e.g., a magneto with modern sealed parts or a complete bottom end (crank, rods, crankcase, etc.) that looks retro but with improved materials and design, and still be 'legal' for these types of competition?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #989
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie101 View Post
I was looking all over the forums for damage reports in order to learn something from the CB about the weakness in the engines, but very little was described in detail. I don't know if the guys where ashamed of mistakes they done in their restorations or if the parts where weak in construction. ...
Darryl Richmann's blog details the problems he was having with head gaskets blowing on his 1928 BMW R52 (flathead boxer). the solution, implemented after a couple days of DNFs, was copper gaskets. Sadly, he crashed on the next to last day, I think the video of the bike retrieval was posted a few pages ago on this thread, with Doug helping keep the bike upright (tow truck driver would have dragged the r52 up the hill on its side, cylinder stuck into the dirt).
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #990
charlie101
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Darryl Richmann's blog details the problems he was having with head gaskets blowing on his 1928 BMW R52 (flathead boxer). the solution, implemented after a couple days of DNFs, was copper gaskets. Sadly, he crashed on the next to last day, I think the video of the bike retrieval was posted a few pages ago on this thread, with Doug helping keep the bike upright (tow truck driver would have dragged the r52 up the hill on its side, cylinder stuck into the dirt).
Yes I know, I think I read all that was written during the rally, and Darryl was good as was the Rinkers and a few others in reporting, there was just that there wasn't anyone that covered the really interesting stuff IMO. The Henderson people was really lousy in reporting.

charlie101 screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 08:27 PM