Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #46
gcdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I subscribe to Rider as it supports my daughter's school and at $.80 an issue, it's hard to beat. I really like Motorcycle Escape, RoadRunner MC Touring & Travel, and Motorcycle Sport & Leisure (but only buy them in the store when I find articles worth the high price).
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #47
jagred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I sub to "Motorcyclist". Used to have that and "Cycle World". But I decided not to keep both because it felt redundant.

I also have a Mustang and noticed something about "5.0" magazine that I really enjoy. They devote a huge portion of their article selections to individuals who have customized their cars. These people have lived with and cherished the featured cars for years.

I know that this is because it is a brand specific publication, and the comparison is not apples to apples. But it got me to thinking: how cool would that be with motorcycle mags? I would love to read more features on people who have lived with a bike for 5 years, with stories of their experiences. "Motorcyclist" does have a one page monthly article that does this very thing. And it is often my favorite page of the month.

Oh wait that is why we all come to forums like Advrider . This is the place where we find real world info.

Sorry, carry on the conversation!
jagred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #48
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Cycle Magazine with Nielson / Schilling

Hands down, Cycle during the era with Phil Schilling, Cook Nielson, Jess Thomas,
Michael Shuter, Byron Black, Kevin Cameron, and Gordon Jennings was the best
motorcycle magazine in the history of the English-speaking world.

Everything since has sucked horribly. Even Peter Egan's schtick in Cycle World gets old.
Egan and Cameron are the only reason to read the magazine so I hope they are paid
well.

I met Nielson and Schilling at Daytona the year they kicked ass with Old Blue, and they
were both real gentlemen, in the old-school sense.

The motorcycling rags these days are written by a bunch of semi-literate Philistines who
apparently think acting like a punk helps gain street cred ( hint : it doesn't ).

Wow, do I miss Nielson, Schilling, and Jennings. They could write and they could ride
and they didn't write stuff which didn't have substance. If there is a motorcycle mag
hall of fame they all deserve a place of honor in it. I am sure those who remember
the glory days of Cycle understand exactly what I am talking about.

There is room for a good motorcycle mag now. The existence of the web makes dealing with
some money man ( publisher, e.g. Hachette who have RUINED everything they touched )
not nearly as necessary as it once was, so now the main barrier to entry is
talent ( or lack thereof ).

By the way I saw a comment by Jess Thomas on Bring A Trailer last year, so he is still around.
Last I heard Cook was hiding out in the northeastern US. I don't know about Schilling or
the rest of the folks, but I still remember the great work they did like it was yesterday.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 06:37 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #49
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 797
[QUOTE=JohninVT;19691835]I hated Catterson. What a complete suck-ass he was.

+10, the guy had no business writing anything outside of ad copy or press releases

Cycle magazine ruled in the day.

Cycle Canada tries hard but hits the mark only occcasionally.

Roadracing World makes the grade with regularity (if you can get by the readers write page) Informed writing, first person, Mat Oxley, comparisons, tests, race reports etc.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #50
Warprints
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I'm a rag junkie. Subscribe to CW, MCN, Rider, Motorcyclist, Sportrider, and Roadracing News. MCN and Rider are the best of these. MCN because of the generally unbiased and in depth reviews, and Rider bc there isn't much bullshit.
Warprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #51
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,151
I subscribe to Cycle World, Motorcyclist, and Rider.

Several decades ago, I subscribed to Cycle, the best of the bunch.

Time to let Motorcyclist go... I'm not in their target audience.

Will keep CW for Egan and Cameron... and Rider for the staff, as earlier mentioned.

Time to consider MCN...

NFE

BTW, the November issue of CW is focused on mid-sized motos... more of my riding style.
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #52
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Hands down, Cycle during the era with Phil Schilling, Cook Nielson, Jess Thomas,

This is the correct answer. It was brilliant.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #53
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:

Everything since has sucked horribly. Even Peter Egan's schtick in Cycle World gets old.
Egan and Cameron are the only reason to read the magazine so I hope they are paid
well.

I met Nielson and Schilling at Daytona the year they kicked ass with Old Blue, and they

The motorcycling rags these days are written by a bunch of semi-literate Philistines who
apparently think acting like a punk helps gain street cred ( hint : it doesn't ).

Wow, do I miss Nielson, Schilling, and Jennings. They could write and they could ride
and they didn't write stuff which didn't have substance. If there is a motorcycle mag
hall of fame they all deserve a place of honor in it. I am sure those who remember

There is room for a good motorcycle mag now. The existence of the web makes dealing with
some money man ( publisher, e.g. Hachette who have RUINED everything they touched )

By the way I saw a comment by Jess Thomas on Bring A Trailer last year, so he is still around.
Last I heard Cook was hiding out in the northeastern US. I don't know about Schilling or
the rest of the folks, but I still remember the great work they did like it was yesterday.

Try MCN the USA version as I think you might enjoy it by reading your comments. Well written articles that are articulate and a knowledgeable staff that is not beholden to advertisers. If I could have only one magazine this would be the one although it is four times as expensive.

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #54
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Brit mag "Fast Bikes" @ fastbikesmag.com
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #55
jjgres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Motorcyclist magazine is head and shoulders above all the rest. Save yourself stress and just subscribe for the next 1000 years! All you ever need moto-wise is contained within its hallowed covers.

Cycle World? Forget it! The pages are so slick the mag keeps falling from my fingers. Sure, Cameron and Egan are great but when's the last time you saw them alive? Think about it!

Motorcycle Consumer mag? How can you trust a publication that has no ads? What the hell? How do their writers make money? Stealing office supplies?

Brit mags? Ha! They don't even write in American! You need a Babel friggin fish to understand what the hell they're on about! Besides, it rains a lot over there.

No, you need to subscribe to Motorcyclist magazine before it gets even better!
jjgres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #56
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,646
I use to subscribe to a bunch but now am down to Cycle World and that is not going to be renewed.
Google in my answer for moto news now days.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #57
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
I've also noticed (along with Cycle Canada too) a trend towards immature writing. I don't really expect to read so many "fuck"'s from self proclaimed professional journalists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
Fave would have to be Canadian Biker ... not only 'cause I'm a Kanuck, but 'cause it's generally a good rag ... another good Kanuck motorcycle mag is Motorcycle Mojo.
Funny, I think Cycle Canada has really taken off with Neil Graham as editor and I find Mojo tedious (with the exception of Paddy). Never tried Canadian Biker - the name puts me off even trying.

I read Motorcyclist for Jack Lewis and Joe Gresch, Cycle World for Peter Egan and Kevin Cameron and MotoRetro because Mitch needs support in his new venture (and I'm the target market).

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #58
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:

well.

What he said.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #59
farmboyfz1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
magazine fluff

Quit suscribing to 4 mags, just got to be too much fluff and similar content. When you test ride REPORT put the damn thing thru hell and beat the $#!+ out of it and find its limitations. And don't be afraid to piss off the manufacture and tell the truth in your opinion, not worry if they will let you demo the next new model because you didn't have something nice to say. Then after grabbing the bull by the horns and writing the complete REPORT for a few years I will faithfully start reading and suscribing to your rag and possible recommend your information. Also be a motorcyclist, not a cruiser guy, or adventure guy, dirt or tourer. Judge a bike by its own merits not your three piece comparos where one is $xx,xxx.xx to $x,xxx.xx and the other last years model. Besides there is more info on forums like this than any bike rag and also really good travel info and tips, plus good places to eat (with pics in some cases). Who needs magazines. ( one thing though, when one of my bikes makes the cover for bike of the year, yeah I do buy that one. My little piece of vanity.)
farmboyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #60
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Dan doesn't earn a living as a writer, not exclusivey anyway.

He's an Inmate here on ADV too.
Good for him.
I await a pathetic attempt at a flame any time now.