User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
GSAragazzi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Question Is it ok to filter to b 1st?

Here in TX it's illegal to split lanes in moving traffic, so my question is not in regards to legality but safety. Is it ok to filter thru when reaching an intersection to be in front and not trapped in between cars (who are checking Facebook, answering calls and returning txts)? I've been riding for 20 or so yrs -sport bikes- this is my first Dual sport and I've noticed a different attitude towards me without me changing any of my riding habits. I would like to keep that going .Just don't feel like getting plowed from my 6 or cut into while waiting for a light to turn in exchange. Then again, I am enjoying this new "friendly" attitude towards me and the bike I ride.
So what's your call? yes: get to the front ( piss cagers off), or no: wait in line (just don't get killed).
Cheers
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,385
Legally no! Morally yes! However, in most places you are likely to get hurt trying.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
It's legal here, but some of my bikes don't always fit. I stop in line and aim at an opening, keep it in gear and watch my six...I'll fill a gap before I get rear ended, you should do the same.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I don't know what part of TX you are in, but here in DFW, most of the times nothing will happen, most are too busy texting and won't even notice, even when they are first in line and you are close enough to knock on their window (I don't suggest that though) sometimes you will get a horn honk after you have passed them, and very rarely somebody might try to block you, but when it does happen, I can almost guarantee you it will be a pickup, probably a diesel, and very likely 4wd and/or lifted. I have never had a car try to block me. Profiling works very well here. Keep on eye on Bubba, fortunately he moves pretty slow.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,807
.....should have made it a Poll.

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Obviously you know you doing wrong or you wouldn't come here seeking validation of your justifications and excuses. It's entirely up to you if your going to break the law or not, make your own decisions and be prepared accept full responsibility for the consequences without comment.

Its ironic that many riders are so quick to pass judgment on folks in cars for doing something "wrong" yet feel free to do as they please themselves.

Ride your own ride, and assuage your own conscience.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Here in TX it's illegal to split lanes in moving traffic, so my question is not in regards to legality but safety. Is it ok to filter thru when reaching an intersection to be in front and not trapped in between cars...
Just don't filter past this lady:

I know it's 205 to the 205th power, but I just had to.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 10:24 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I don't filter but do keep the transmission in 1st and the bike pointed toward an escape route incase it looks like some jackass isn't going to stop. Keep an eye on the mirrors til there's a cage or two stopped behind you as a buffer.

That's not to say you shouldn't filter. You need to do whatever you feel you need to in order to stay safe, but just be aware that other people on the road and/or the local constabulary might not care for it.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Here in the EU, splitting and filtering is legal, done and expected. Cars almost always give you a little space, and my Supertenere fits thru most gaps without an issue. One thing to make sure about filtering: shoulder check before you get in the gap, or you might get plowed by the bike filtering behind you!!

To put how great filtering is into perspective for those who are opposed to it, I have a lot of business in Budapest (but live about 3 hours away)... At rush hour on a monday, I can get from one side of Bpest to the other in a half hour on the Tenere. In my car, the same trip has taken over four hours. That was the last time I ever brought a cage into that town!
1977 VW Westy camper bus
1976 feet (no titanium yet!)
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,741
Pretty much the only filtering I'll do is if I come to an intersection where I'm taking a right turn, I've been known to use the space between the cars ahead of me and the curb to make my turn before the light turns green. To my knowledge I've never had a negative reaction.

As to filtering to the front of the line, I wouldn't do it. It's not legal, motorists won't expect it, and moreover, they generally won't be happy about it. Do as Sandman recommends and stay in your space, keep an escape route open, bike in gear, and watch your mirrors.

I've also mounted an auxiliary high brake light on the back of my bike in hopes of reducing the chances of being rear-ended.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
.....should have made it a Poll.

That along with the Aerostich Lane Sharing Tool, and I think you're set.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-lane-share-tool.html

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
skipping line is lame.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
if you're not lane sharing then isn't it cutting in line?

BTW, I'll stop between two cars in front of me if I'm uncomfortable about leaving my six exposed and I'm not filtering to the front.

I do this on double left turn lanes if I'm not able to filter all the way up. moron cagers don't know how to keep it in their lane while turning.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Here in TX it's illegal to split lanes in moving traffic, so my question is not in regards to legality but safety.
Cheers
I would like to respond to this by posting a picture from my morning commute a few years ago....

I couldn't lane split through here and I got hit by a industrial sized lawn mower. THAT is why I lane split!!

Having said that, I know that Texans have been known to enforce the lawn on their own time..... and lots of them carry guns..... so it seems like quite a risk either way.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Davi_ View Post
Here in the EU, splitting and filtering is legal, done and expected.

[...]

To put how great filtering is into perspective for those who are opposed to it,

See the key word?