User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Carbon12Eve OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
sexy, safe gear for women

So I'm a total noob. I brought a used Joe Rocket jacket, shoei full face (gift from bf), gaerne boots, draggin jeans and some gloves on sale from a harley/truimph dealership. I aspire to better gear as I've been riding for about six months and want to stick with it through the rainy season (want to replace my car with a motorcycle but gotta try a rainy season first). My bf really likes/owns the Aerostitch Roadcrafter. I like the safety factor of it but the Michelin man profile leaves me cold. I'm not a sport bike rider (mine is an '84 Honda Shadow 500 -- beginning bike) but I'd kinda like to look sexy, sporty whilst enjoying all the utilitarian ideals of temperature proof, water proof riding (knowing that no suit is perfect for all climates...I'd probably avoid the high temps as I live in Northern CA). In short, are there any rugged touring suits that look good on women? Any help appreciated. During the week only commuting but more fun/distance on weekends!

Update: 10/5/12
Thank you so much to all of you for the replies (Big shoutout to PhoenixGirl, very helpful, thanks!). I am still wrestling with the sexy vs. safe. I am getting to the point where I don't care about sexy as much, unfortunately, because I feel like there just isn't the option out there that will keep you dry and look good doing it. I did see 1 posting of a scantily clad lady...I thought she was dressed quite sexily but her "gear" didn't quite cover enough to qualify as safe. I'm considering the Olympia or perhaps Rukka at this point (big price point difference...not sure if Rukka is in the budget). Thanks again!

Update: 10/10/12
Ordered a two piece Road Crafter. They are actually doing women's sizes on the pants now. But since this portion of their line is so new their only sizer in my size was out (smallest they do right now is size 8). So I'm trying a men's size. I did manage to get a discounted jacket in my size from the sale site (worn for a modelling shoot). I was going to get the Transit suit but after reading reviews that they might not be able to repair it (they are currently contracting with a local cobbler) and talking to their rep who confirmed that they might not be able to repair it despite it not being "totalled" in the typical sense (usually when the repairs would cost half the value of the suit) I opted to go with their tried and true line the roadcrafter. The Rukka was just too damn expensive. So I admit defeat and leave you with this new tagline made up specially for the occasion...safe keeps your sexy for another day!!

Carbon12Eve screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 04:02 PM Reason: Updates
Carbon12Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Olympia Airglide

Hi, Eve -
I have the Olympia Airglide jacket and overpants. I like them because they are a mix of textile and mesh (great for summer) but also come with liners (thermal and water proof) that can be zipped in and out, which makes it a 3 season (almost a 4 season) outfit. I've worn them on city streets commuting (currently an hour each way) and on long weekend trips. I've worn them out on dirt and gravel roads, in rain and in sun...and I'm really happy with them. There are a lot of gals over on www.twowheelfemales.com, another forum that I frequent, that wear this combo, too.

Last year, I rode on New Year's Eve. The roads were clear and there was no snow (highly unusual for Chicago). Temp was around 30 degrees, though. Still, my Olympia gear kept me warm (with fleece under layers and using the liners), the only things cold were my hands (but, my Hippo Hands helped out with that before I got Gerbings heated gloves).

The jacket fits a woman's shape with adjustable tabs on the sides. Dainese has good stuff and has a very sexy shape (I have a beige mesh jacket for summer.. but it's very spendy, too. But that jacket is definitely NOT waterproof.

Welcome to riding! And good on you for being full ATGATT! Enjoy the ride and here's to plenty of (s)miles to come!
PhoenixGirl63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
You appreciate the Michelin man profile more after the bike goes down at speed.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,605
My wife likes her two Rev'it suits -- and she looks damn good in them! Decent protection, but with fitted waists and non-stupid colors. (She is not a fan of the pink and baby blue that too much women's gear comes in.)

That said, if you want temperature and rain protection, there's going to be a good bit of bulk.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Wistrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
gear Chic

here is the website ur looking for

Gear Chic http://gearchic.com/

real riders real curves

Enjoy

Dan
Wistrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,123
Rukka Armiina
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,337
Alpinestars has their Stella suit.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 810
looking for a jacket for a friend and ran across these sites

http://www.squidoo.com/womensmotorcyclejackets

http://www.gogogearla.com/

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Rev-It has some really nice stuff for women, check out Revzilla and their YouTube reviews. That combo is always the first stop we make when looking for gear for my wife (and usually the last stop).
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
I have pretty much given up on trying to get my girl to wear gear, ergo, i dont push her to ride with me too much anymore either. Its just not worth the fight. Apparently its my fault that gear makers dont make stuff that fit women with curves. Ill check out some of the recommendations above, hopefully it doesn't end up in another fight.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
You appreciate the Michelin man profile more after the bike goes down at speed.
+1.
Aerostich makes suits (only the one-piece) for women.
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-p...iece-suit.html
My wife wears a two-piece 'stich, although it's not exactly sexy, it is very good protection.
Good luck with it.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,912
Here's an interesting blog with pics showing some of what is out there:

http://themotolady.com/

This is her - I think the jacket is Icon:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
JohnBoy777
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
This is pretty sexy gear:

JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,157
The Aerostich Transit suit offers excellent protection, is waterproof, and does not have a "Michelin Man" look.

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/two-p...iece-suit.html

On the downside, it's expensive as hell, and may not be available (yet) tailored to properly fit persons of the feminine gender.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 201
Rev it

I picked up some used Revit pants and jacket from an Inmate for my wife off the flea market. I was just looking for something reasonably priced with good protection. We took a guess on the size and got lucky and everything fit great. Even she was happy with the way it fit and looked. I can't believe even a custom Roadcrafter would look as good.

She rides with me only on occasion so the Roadcrafter was a bit of overkill for what she needed. If she was looking for 12 month everyday gear I would take a long look at the new Roadcrafter cut for a woman. They were on sale in the very recent past. For gear you are going to be taking on and off if a bike is your primary transportation I don't think anything beats the Roadcrafter.

I ride in a Roadcrafter 90% of the time. For the Virginia weather I ride with some fleece and a heated vest I ride all year. If I had to get by with one set of riding gear I would go with the RC. I am past the point of caring what I look like and am more interested crash protection, weather protection and comfort.

Good luck with the decision. Lots of great gear out there.