User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,551
I noticed several weak points of the bikes, as I helped work on a bunch of them over 2 weeks. I cant leave a bike stranded along the road, I'll always try to get it running again

harley JD's, valves and generators. about 1/2 the guys were running 6v lantern batteries, as the gennys must really suck on those bikes. almost no one semed to have a working charging system by the 1/2 way point. they'd carry a spare battery, when the bike stopped running, they'd swap in a new one.

I think 47? valves were reworked in sturgis while I was at the shop working on my bike

bmw's, they did really good, as I expected they would. Darryl was blowing head gaskets, even burned a hole in his pants from it. he told me he fixed it by stacking 2 gaskets

Joe Gimple broke the valve lifter 2 or 3 times? then he replaced them with newer bolts, I think he was fine after that

I dont know much about the 3rd bmw

hendersons did good, altho I know of a couple motor swaps done, and a couple late night rebuilds along the way. the motor is worth about 20k, so a swap is not a cheap way to go
I know one of em dropped out due to tranny failuer

the 15 indian got alot of work done to it. the 13 Ex & 14 HD ran great, I think the HD had a mag issue along the way

the brit bikes had problems. magnetos and top ends mostly, the JAP had head & clutch problems. it did alot better when he removed the sidecar
I helped to tinker on a few of them.

the indians were about 50/50, I know of 3 that had no real breakdowns, but they were worked on nightly

one from uk lost the bottom end, one from poland, the top end, another guy swapped his motor, & still didnt finish

and my top end, which Im thinking may have been caused by those alloy wrist pin buttons, & running it so hard & all day, that the heat got to them.

did I leave anyone out?

I didnt see what all went on every night, as when I wasnt workin on my bike, I was usually helping someone else out with theirs.

I had alot of fun & learned alot, just my helping on other bikes.

I wanna get a JD now, as I learned to like them, and I know a bit about keeping them running

so if anyone out there hears of one for sale.......

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote