Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Well done Josh!

Awesome!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #273
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Wow, awesome. Just spent the last couple hours rivited. Awesome, and congrats Josh!! (and mike)...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #274
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Josh doesn't have an account or post here on advrider, but I wanted to share a post of his from Facebook since that his primary means of communicating with people:

Well the Six Days is officially over, we finally made it back to our house! The ISDE was the toughest thing i've done in my whole life both mentally, physically and emotionally! But i also had the time of my life and enjoyed every minute of it! I would just like to thank every single person that helped in any small way! I would have never made it there or through without the help of donations, sponsors and any participation or help with my fundraiser! I thank all of you!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #275
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
Josh doesn't have an account or post here on advrider, but I wanted to share a post of his from Facebook since that his primary means of communicating with people:

Well the Six Days is officially over, we finally made it back to our house! The ISDE was the toughest thing i've done in my whole life both mentally, physically and emotionally! But i also had the time of my life and enjoyed every minute of it! I would just like to thank every single person that helped in any small way! I would have never made it there or through without the help of donations, sponsors and any participation or help with my fundraiser! I thank all of you!!!
Your kid is a class act. Aside from being a phenomenal rider he has the attitude and humbleness of every true champion. Suspect we will be seeing photos of him on a podium at the ISDE in the near future.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #276
markvfr
too many hobbies...

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
BTW if you want to get a good idea of how brutal Day 4 was someone posted a video on the ECEA site.

Look at that shoot around 2:20, scary as can be. Remember these are some of the best riders in the world. I'd love to hear Josh's take on that downhill.
Yeah, that hill was pretty sketch and steep but not too bad 'cause it was short. There was another one that was a looong rooty double track that spit us out right on the road and man, that was steep, rooty and wet. But awesome! :)

Congrats Josh on the silver, you kicked butt! I also enjoyed Day 3 and 4 the most as its similar to the stuff I ride at home. Not so at home on the grass tracks and motocross. Gotta practice that a lot more before the next one.
markvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #277
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post

When I was Josh's age I came home from school and rode my Honda Elsinore 125 (yes, it was a while ago... ) until it was too dark to see. I watched motocross, read about the ISDE, devoured Dirt Bike magazine, and could only dream of something like actually doing the ISDE. What an amazing story, thanks for sharing it in so much detail, and to Josh - what an incredible thing to be able to accomplish at such a young age!

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #278
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,002
While waiting for the third special test on day four a group of school children and their teachers walk out up from the village to the track. I chat with them a bit exchanging basic phrases with the kids (5-6 YO) and teachers. They want to practice their english counting so we do dreissig through neun und dreissig (Trophy Team and Jr. Team numbers 30 - 39), Women's numbers and funf hunnert, neun und siebzig (579). We ended with a GO JOSH!!! foto op:

Unfortunately they had to go back to school about the time the women teams were showing up but how cool is that? Your teachers take you out of the classroom for a hour so you can watch the ISDE???

Way to Go Josh!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #279
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,589
Congratulations Knight family!!!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #280
markvfr
too many hobbies...

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
While waiting for the third special test on day four a group of school children and their teachers walk out up from the village to the track. I chat with them a bit exchanging basic phrases with the kids (5-6 YO) and teachers. They want to practice their english counting so we do dreissig through neun und dreissig (Trophy Team and Jr. Team numbers 30 - 39), Women's numbers and funf hunnert, neun und siebzig (579). We ended with a GO JOSH!!! foto op:

Unfortunately they had to go back to school about the time the women teams were showing up but how cool is that? Your teachers take you out of the classroom for a hour so you can watch the ISDE???

Way to Go Josh!!!
Yeah pretty awesome! I sprained my thumb high fiving kids as we rode through the villages.
markvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #281
2volts
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 282
Well done to Josh, Silver 6 Days medal first time round, that's a big achievement.
And what a terrific family adventure! It's going to be hard to top that!
Thanks for the updates and photos, I really enjoyed this thread.

pete
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #282
knobie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post

Way to Go Josh!!!
knobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #283
Bare-it
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Well done to your young bloke!

When you get home you might want to show him how it was done "Back in the day!" It's titled 'Welsh 2 day' but the US rider interviewed speaks of the six day...

Too bad I don't speak a word of Welsh!
Hey! At 0:27, that's me and my wife Susan re-wiring my IT490! (I think it was the only IT490 at the Welsh ISDE. And yes, it really is the ISDE, not the Two-Day)

Barrett Brown, Reid's dad here. This old clip highlights how good you all have had it with the great reports that Mike has provided you all. There's not much available from 29 years ago, but trust me you all were provided an awesome font row seat, this year. It was a definite privilege to meet and work with the whole Knight family while our sons lived this great adventure together. Josh is a 17 year old of uncommon poise and a thoughtful approach to this sport; an exemplary foundation to build upon, racing or otherwise. Stay in touch, Mike, if you and the clan ever end up with time for a trip to the Tillamook State Forest, here in NW Oregon!

Barrett
www.SingleTrackTools.com

Bare-it screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 01:53 PM Reason: correction
Bare-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #284
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare-it View Post
]Barrett Brown, Reid's dad here. This old clip highlights how good you all have had it with the great reports that Mike has provided you all. There's not much available from 29 years ago, but trust me you all were provided an awesome font row seat, this year.

Great report and the updates where just what I needed.

I used to wait for Dirt Bike magazine come to my mailbox and read the story,usually three months later.

Here's a page I had on my bedroom door as a kid growing up.
It's now on my fridge.
Ironically it's from that Wales Six Days

This is what I always picture the Six Days to be.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #285
Bare-it
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Well done to your young bloke!

When you get home you might want to show him how it was done "Back in the day!" It's titled 'Welsh 2 day' but the US rider interviewed speaks of the six day...

Too bad I don't speak a word of Welsh!
Hey! That's me and my wife Susan near the start of this old "tape" working on my IT490! (I think it was the only IT490 at the Welsh ISDE. And yes, it really is the ISDE, not the Two-Day)

Barrett Brown, Reid's dad here. This old clip highlights how good you all have had it with the great reports that Mike has provided you all. There's not much available from 29 years ago, but trust me you all were provided an awesome front row seat, this year. It was a definite privilege to meet and work with the whole Knight family while our sons lived this great adventure together. Josh is a 17 year old of uncommon poise and a thoughtful approach to this sport; an exemplary foundation to build upon, racing or otherwise. Stay in touch, Mike, if you and the clan ever end up with time for a trip to the Tillamook State Forest, here in NW Oregon.

Barrett
www.SingleTrackTools.com
Bare-it is offline   Reply With Quote