User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #9271
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,885
Yesterday...

...North Georgia mountains...80K miles and climbing...

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #9272
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Great pics Matto!

Looks like Brian Head this time of year.
Thanks! Oh man, I snook through Brian Head last week for a couple hours and rode my mountain bike on the way back from Vegas. What a great place! I love the trails there and the Aspens were fantastic. Looks like the little town is doing well too.

Pretty much perfect trails up there:

Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #9273
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Nice country that, must bring my bike and visit when I win the lottery (which has to be any day now, been buying tickets for so fucken long it's ridiculous)

In my mind at least that bolt is what keeps the whole frame from flexing at the top engine/ frame mount (where the castle nut is)
Yes, pretty spectacular here. Come for a visit out west. You won't be disappointed. Looks like I will be in Norway next year end of August first of Sept for the Mountain Bike World Cup finals in Hafjell. Looking forward to it.

Ya, will put the bold back in just as a place holder at least. My bike was not loaded down, but sure did get beat around a ton! Did not loose any parts atleast.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #9274
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Thanks! Oh man, I snook through Brian Head last week for a couple hours and rode my mountain bike on the way back from Vegas. What a great place! I love the trails there and the Aspens were fantastic. Looks like the little town is doing well too.

Pretty much perfect trails up there:

Damn!! Thats some beautiful country right there. One of these days I need to get out that way.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #9275
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...North Georgia mountains...80K miles and climbing...

im glad you keep us updated with the miles. i like to know how far these motors go and when things wear out. im far behind you at 29,000 miles but enjoying every mile!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #9276
Baams
n00bs FTW

Oddometer: 35
Laugh

I'm at 86991miles(140000km) so far... no probs yet, except all my electrical cables are begining to disintergrate :(

I should prob do a valve check soon , been riding the last 50000 km without doing one. How often are you suppose to do it on theese bikes. I'm proberly way past the point
Baams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #9277
cocco78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I just picked up an 05 650 Dakar and am in need of an owners manual. I tried looking online for one to download but no luck finding anything for this "old" of a bike. I'd be happy with photo copies of a manual at this point, pdf would be fantastic though.

Is there a specific starting procedure for this bike? When cold it takes 3 tries for the bike to start, I thought that was odd for a fuel injected bike?

And lastly i'm looking for some stock hand guards, if anyone has a set left over from an upgrade i'd be interested.

Thanks!
cocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #9278
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Earlier model but 90% same.
http://www.thewatermargin.com/html/F...2001-2003).pdf

Start- side stand up or bike in neutral. Turn key- wait for all lights to cycle off (except abs if u have ut). Press start.

Check f650.com hard start FAQS. If that doesn't work.

Most, if not all hard parts are aftermarket.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #9279
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,885
How to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
I just picked up an 05 650 Dakar and am in need of an owners manual. I tried looking online for one to download but no luck finding anything for this "old" of a bike. I'd be happy with photo copies of a manual at this point, pdf would be fantastic though.

Is there a specific starting procedure for this bike? When cold it takes 3 tries for the bike to start, I thought that was odd for a fuel injected bike?

And lastly i'm looking for some stock hand guards, if anyone has a set left over from an upgrade i'd be interested.

Thanks!
Turn the ignition switch on, but wait until the water temp light goes out before pressing the starter button (2-3 seconds). Then after the engine fires up, continue holding the starter button 2-3 more seconds (this I was told sets the EFI for the ambient conditions).

Mine is an 03, but I think the procedure is the same for the newer, 2-spark models. My Dakar has always started right up using this method.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #9280
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
You may want to check with your dealer, there was a BMW technical bulletin on the early twin-spark models that covers hard starting. It involves a software update and replacing the decompression lever on the exhaust camshaft. If nothing else, the software update solved the issue of backfiring through the intake and stalling when I blipped the throttle for a downshift.

There's a bunch of other stuff you should check that could affect things, I'm sure that everyone else will chime in on that. :-)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #9281
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 123
Quote:

Thanks!
Owners manual is orderable from the dealer, just checked A&S they list P/N 01417685931 for $26.54.

'06 F650GS Dakar
ElReyDelSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #9282
cocco78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for all the advice, I figured I was starting it correctly so i'll have to check into the hard start issues. I would just pop into the closest dealer but that would be a 3 hour drive so it probably won't get to the dealer so often, oh well. I just got back from a 300 mile, 2 day trek around the UP with almost no issues, a fork seal gave up on me mid-way through the trip. Other than that 300 awesome miles.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=26416298b2

cocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #9283
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Does anyone have a windscreen off a single spark dakar they would sell? The stock one.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #9284
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
I would just pop into the closest dealer but that would be a 3 hour drive issues..... Other than that 300 awesome miles.

At least you've got your priorities right!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #9285
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Does anyone have a windscreen off a single spark dakar they would sell? The stock one.
The lttle gray fly screen??

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote