Oddometer: 513
Wow, what an adventure! Keep posting

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #77
kobold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Great Ride Report and what i like most is, it is not the bike but ability to have fun which makes any trip great.
kobold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #78
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Great ride report. One of the best I have read this year.

I am wondering, as opposed to rallying a big-bore dirt bike through the desert for days, it seems this trip was much more laid back. Were the Chinese bikes fun at all? Were you ever wishing for a little BRRRRAAAP? Or were you just tickled to be where you were?
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #79
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Laid back is a great way to put it.

Notes on the Chinese all terrain mopeds. We chose them because that's what ended up making the most sense for our budget and time frame. The goal was to ride around Mongolia on motorcycles. We decided we would ride whatever type of bike it took to make that happen. Of course we were all wishing we had our big bores but there is always the consideration of something breaking and the availability of parts. This is not an issue with the chinese bikes since even some of the smallest shops out in the country have parts. Also, there is something about traveling around like the rest of the population does. I mean, EVERY freaking nomad had a chinese bike.

The Shineray "Mustang" 150 is basically a modded street bike. They've put in heavier springs, use large enduro style 18" tires front and rear (only one size tube to carry!), simple drum brakes, and add a beefy rack to strap your goat hides to. They are marketed to the nomads. And they do the job. I can't say anything about longevity, the jury is still out on that.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:06 AM
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #80
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8
With Hatgal being a tourist destination the road is being paved from the larger town of Moron which is about 100km away. We made good time on this stretch.

It wasn't long before we rolled into Moron which is a larger town by Mongolian standards.

We had to stock up and boil more eggs because we got too drunk the night before and left our eggs out for the Magpies to feast on. While Moron isn't as charming as Hatgal, it would make more sense to spend a day here to regroup since there are lot's of resources here. There are numerous larger supermarkets, a large black market, and a few decent looking hotels. We didn't stay, just got some stuff and kept moving.

The road was an actual improved road for a short stretch out of town.

The route quickly turned back into buttery two tracks and we came across these guys with a flat. Of course we have to stop and see what's going on. Flat occurrences are always very social and entertaining at least for everyone except the guy doing the repair. We we always classify the flats and this one rated as a "class 2 slice". Turns out these guys had patches but no glue so we pulled ours out for them. It's pretty funny how you can communicate with people without knowing each others language.

Pretty soon we started into a canyon that we hoped would lead us to a pass up over a small range. The riding was getting really good!

The route was smooth with a handful of easy river crossings.

Then we stumble onto this scene. We notice all the bikes neatly lined up and we think maybe we should go see what's happening.

Upon closer inspection we notice bodies strewn about, some kind of barely moving like they'd been drugged! One guy is stumbling around. Our senses tell us to keep moving.

The route continued up this beautiful drainage. The two track was perfect!

It just kept getting better as we continued up, tightening up a bit more.

Next it starts to open up a bit and…….

BAM!! We're riding through a very broad high meadow.

We find an awesome camp site overlooking the drainage we had just rode up. We all converse about what a weird scene that was back at the ger camp where Jim Jones and the Kool Aide Kids were hanging out.

During the evening Minxter announces that Buuuuurrrrt and I both have some rogue eyebrow hairs that she can't take looking at anymore and we'll need to have her do some manicuring. Too funny! She definitely has a very feminine side of her.

We had made some good time that day and really enjoyed the riding. We couldn't stop wondering what the hell was going on at the ger camp with the people flopped out everywhere?!!

174km for the day.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #81
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 256

Great ride and report really digging it thanks for taking us along
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #82
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754

Nothing..........love that kind of terrain. AKA (Wyoming grass lands, west desert, etc)
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #83
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Little delay with the report. Had to get reacquainted with the big bores.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #84
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 9
Another awesome sunrise on our desolate camp.

We did the morning routine of coffee, noodles and a hard boiled egg then hit the two track. The riding is so good!!

The weather was perfect. We got a little off track and had to cut across this field to get back on the route going through the pass in the distance here. The terrain is so smooth that even with the minimal suspension our bikes had it was still a pleasant ride across.

Back on the route. It's funny that this type of road is actually marked on a map.

Soon we came into a valley and were waved in by this nomad family.

They were so nice!! All they wanted to do was share some tea and cheese with us. We noticed that a lot of the mongols are a little funny about getting their picture taken especially inside the ger. This is a classic scene right here; ger, solar panel and chinese bike.

We stopped for supplies in the next town. Slim pickings here and then we noticed it was a dry town!! No beer or vodka. We found this quite odd.

There are still a few of these beasts running around. They are a Russian built two stroke pig that has the unreliability of the Royal Enfields. They were the bike of choice a while back. The Chinese bikes are phasing these things out.

We started down a large valley and were hitting all these great sections of single track along side the standard two track route.

The single track was incredibly smooth sailing.

So typical; nomad, ger, solar panel, chinese bike. Check out the bird on the post.

The birds we were seeing were really cool!

Mmmmmmm, single track!!

Next thing you know, we come across this group of three bikes, one with a flat. His friends are all standing around talking and laughing. He's got his shirt off and is sweating and getting filthy as he's working on the flat. It's so funny because this is the EXACT same scene that happens to us in The States - someone flats out, everyone else finds a comfortable spot to heckle and watch the victim struggle.

These guys didn't have any patches or glue so we helped them out. He had three holes which were classified as a "single class 1 patch failure" and a text book "class 2 snake bite". This group was just yucking it up!!

One of them was riding this Mongol "full dresser". We were jealous.

After the flat episode we decided to clean up in the river. Very refreshing.

It was getting late in the day when we passed through the next town where we found a bottle of vodka and some other supplies for our Steppe Stew.

Then we found the "hutag" to fill up our water. I love the guys peeking out the window, controlling the flow of water.

The days ride couldn't have ended any better than with this buttery section of two track.

We find another perfect camp site and start in on the Steppe Stew.

Pretty soon we have a visitor. He's just heading into the hills toward his ger we suspect. He's riding the same bike we have.

He had some bolts that came loose on his rack so we pulled some out of our spare parts and bolted it back together. Remember, no english with any of these guys!! Another awesome day in the remote territory of Mongolia.

128km for the day.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #85
kahlgryndiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
There are still a few of these beasts running around. They are a Russian built two stroke pig that has the unreliability of the Royal Enfields. They were the bike of choice a while back.
Are you sure?
I own a couple of those IZH Planetas here in Germany. I ride one with a sidecar as my everyday ride in winter. 1000 km per month with no problems at all. I use that russian bitch also for long distance rides in winter. 500 km a day is really no problem ...

And my Enfield. Build in 2005 it has more than 45.000 km on it. I rode 35.000 of them. No mayor problems. Everyday in the summer and as usual for long distance rides ...

A motorcycle is always the result of its mechanic. It might be different in Russia and India but basically they are not that bad
How ever. Just my two cents and I really like your RR. Keep on riding!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #86
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 303
Amazing country. Not what I though Mongolia looked like at all. On a really good year our country around Flagstaff AZ looks a bit like that, just not often.

I respect the go light approach, I have a lightweight backpacker tent I carry in addition to your kit. Love the Big Agnes, small, yet comfy, and gets you a good deep breathing excersise every evening.

So, camera? What do you carry, and where to you carry it. I put my Canon G11 in a front pocket of my Flak Jacket, but it has nearly cost me broken ribs a time or two. Please don't tell me all of this beautiful photography is with an IPhone.

Thanks for a great report.

DerViking screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 04:12 PM Reason: spelling
DerViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #87
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Best day of your report yet. Amazing photos and terrain!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #88
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Heh, heh, heh. I don't really have anything against any particular brand bike, I just like to poke at some that don't have the best reputation to get you fanatics to come out of the woodwork! Sorry. I really do like all kinds of motorcycles and can appreciate that most have a purpose.

The camera is nothing too special, just a middle of the road point and shoot. I prefer a decent brand like Cannon, but it has to have a 12x optical zoom lens. It helps greatly to know how to really use them as most of those point and shoots can do much more than most people know about. We wear them on the shoulder straps of the backpacks.

Trackhead, we'll end up doing a ride sooner or later as it seems we have similar tastes.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 08:47 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #89
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Outstanding write up...........The Vodka must be much better than the water I would assume. Keep it coming the valleys are so vast and pretty.............

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #90
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post

Trackhead, we'll end up doing a ride sooner or later as it seems we have similar tastes.
Yup. The little kid that entered my life put a temporary hold on my moto days, but I'm going to start riding again next summer.