User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,132
I had a black bear in camp once and it is unsettling. This was my best advice in the referenced thread:
"Prevention is the best cure. Camping in groups, maintaining best practices with food, making noise to warn bears of your presence, and carrying bear spray. Using a large tent as opposed to a backpacking-one man tent is also wise. Bears have been known to grab the whole tent with the person in it. A larger tent with you sleeping in the middle of it may give you an extra second or two to cock that 45 and get one shot off.

As far as defensive weapons go, the Forest Service did an analysis and determined that, by far, bear spray was much more effective than firearms.

As for camping at campgrounds, I would definitely get a site in the middle of the campground or near the ranger's residence if there is one. The more people around between you and the bear, the better your chances are.

Here is another good site: http://www.udap.com/safety.htm
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.

Merlin III screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:11 AM
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote