Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
booniebasher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Need advice for epic dal sport, grand canyon ? Death vlley ? All close but not seen

Need help, epic dual sport or not, grand canyon and death valley ??
i live in laughlin , nevada, there are two areas i have NOT explored and would love to get pointed in the right direction .please feel free to offer any advice.2-4 day trips via dualport ( plated xr600 )

THE DEATH VALLEY PARK ???, it is 100 miles from here.

THE GRAND CANNYON ???, also aprox 80 miles from here.
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,661
At those distances you should be able to make day trips to those places. Just get on your bike and ride over and scout them out. Take a look around then go home. Gather some info then go back for a few days another time. And, do some research here - there's tons of info on those places, but you need to spend a little time looking it up.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,302
Are you riding there or driving and staging in a campground? How big are your gas tanks? Fuel mileage is a big issue and you have to plan around it. Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells, and Panamint Springs will have gas. Scotty's Castle to the far north will not. Lizard Lee should have gas at the Warm Springs for a premium price and that will enable you to do the long north loop. Remote camping is everywhere and there are some well kept cabins in Butte Valley southeast of Ballarat.

These are just a few suggestions as there is so much riding in DV,

From Panamint go south to Indian Ranch Rd to Ballarat, take Wingate Rd south to Coyote Canyon Rd/Goler Wash Rd then ride east. There cabins are in Butte Valley to camp in and they usually have minimal supplies such as light food and water. Continue east on Butte Valley Rd/Warm Springs Rd and you come out at West Side Rd. North takes you to Furnace Creek, south takes you to Badwater Rd, a high speed dirt super highway, and the long way to the Dumont Dune area.

A nice long northern loop we've done is from Furnace Creek to Ubehebe Crater, to Teakettle Junction, to Racetrack, to Lippincott down to Saline Valley, north to the Warm Springs Rd, east on Warm Springs and camp at the pools (probable gas from Lizard Lee, he lives there and is the caretaker). Continue east to Steel Pass and over to Eureka Dune, another camp opportunity. Again, this is a looong loop and requires enough gas. After the dune, go east on Death Valley Rd, right at Crankshaft Junction and go south until you get to the Ubehebe Crater junction. Go left to the highway and back to Furnace Creek.

You can also do a northern loop from Panamint Springs to Saline Valley, Hunter Mountain, Teakettle Junction, Lippincott, Racetrack, etc and you will be better on gas from Panamint.

A good long day loop is Echo Canyon just a few miles east of Furnace Creek. There are some challenging spots but you can ride it to Big Dune in Nevada, play on the dune for a while then head north to Beatty for fuel and lunch. After Beatty, ride west to Rhyolite Ghost town. After Rhyolite, go west on the hwy for a few miles and take the Titus Canyon dirt road to the right. Titus Canyon is one of my favorite rides as it's a one way road! I think you know what that means After you exit Titus, ride south then west to Stovepipe Wells for gas.
The challenging section of Echo Canyon

Big Dune

Titus Canyon

luv2race screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 01:08 PM
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
booniebasher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
thanks yyou guys

very much apreciated. i will use your feedback.
keith
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Thumb

Whether on or off road, by all means GO!

DV is bigger than it looks. Do allocate time to stop and see the things you want. If you are at all a geology buff, by all means hike into some of the canyons (Marble Canyon is close and easy). Ride through Artist's Drive. Stop and look at the first/main lookout, but motor on to the second one (after a right turn), park your bike, and walk into the formations.

When you go to the GC, take some time to hike down into the canyon on either the Bright Angel (more people, water part way down) or the Kiabob (fewer people, no water). It is a different feeling once you are "down inside", even if you only go a mile or so.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post
Need help, epic dual sport or not, grand canyon and death valley ??
i live in laughlin , nevada, there are two areas i have NOT explored and would love to get pointed in the right direction .please feel free to offer any advice.2-4 day trips via dualport ( plated xr600 )

THE DEATH VALLEY PARK ???, it is 100 miles from here.

THE GRAND CANNYON ???, also aprox 80 miles from here.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,525
I recommend Death Valley for dual sport riding. DV is the most surprising park I've visited. It looks nothing like the pictures or Death Valley Days (TV show).

I'll let it be your own surprise. I've been there four times and have just scratched the surface.

I really liked Scottys Castle. The Racetrack which is surreal at dusk. Several curvy bits of pavement going in and out of the park.

It is hot and dry. Even in the winter temps reach 70* at the bottom of the valley.

I carry at least a gallon of water and have never been there in the summer. It can be really HOT.

======

I understand there is an offroad route into Grande Canyon, I think, toward the west end.

Get a Pass. Get a map. Get movin'.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote