Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #61
HalcyonDaze
gober guts

Oddometer: 2,780

Been waiting for some inspiration for what to do to mine, this is it! I've wondered for a while if lengthening the shocks would be hard on the university joint at the drive shaft (was considering doing this to a 700s nighthawk but decided against because of engine heating issues at low speed), given the increased angle between shaft/transmission for long periods of travel. I guess that one's been answered.

I grew up in the Ozarks, when a kid the family camped many times at Albert Pikein the Ouachitas. Got a twinge of nostalgia seeing those pics. Great build thread, can I PM you with a few questions?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #62
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDaze View Post
can I PM you with a few questions?

Sure, I've probably delt with most issues on the cx. Longer shocks, forks, fitting farkles etc.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #63
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbiker View Post
Umm, anyone know any thing or anyone with the CX500forum? All I'm getting is an "account suspended" message. I thought maybe it was me, so I logged in with a different computer and got the same message. 2 computers, 2 different ISP's or whatever they are called, right? I didn't know if I had violated a forum rule or something. I guess it's sit back and wait to see what happened.

Ride Safe
Yup, I'm on there! about a year ago the site moved to a new server. If you had an old account (from the original chopper charles days) then your user id got suspended, only cure now is to create a new one. I had to do that and I was able to use the same id as on the old cx/gl forum.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #64
Notorious Scoundrel
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi all,

Frst off, please mentally add a "Duh" in front of any of my posts or questions. Although I have ridden off road since I was 12, my 86 TT 225 has never needed anything but a chain and tires aside from regular maintenance so I've never had to tear into a bike to repair or rebuild. Knock on wood, it still starts on the second kick and i still enjoy it at 42 as much as i did at 16. My last street bike was an 82 Katana 750 back in 96. A serious injury at work kept me from driving or riding for quite a few years but here I am again!

Now, having played my get out of jail for dummies card, i just bought an 83 GL500 for $400 plus spare brake pads, plug wires; plugs and oil filters still sealed in their boxes. The engine turns over without any fuss but it doesn't start. This will be my winter project. My first thought is fuel delivery as it has sat in dry storage for years and has that lovely bad gas smell in the tank. It needs some attention but is complete so I'm optimistic that at best it needs a thorough cleaning and tune up, and at worst I have an excellent parts bike. I'm picking it up 3 days from now so will be sure to post pictures.

Let me say my apologies well in advance for all annoying, obvious, or just plain dumb questions that I'm sure to be asking. My goal is to get this bike ready for commutes to work as well as back roads touring and even camping. Given that, I'm open to suggestions, Ideas, and slaps to the back of the head if I start doing something idiotic.

My choice of the GL was largely influenced by members on this forum who have posted a wealth of information, ideas, and experiences. It seems a great bike to fit my intended uses and one sorted out, a reliable and inexpensive bike to maintain and enjoy so thank you to everyone who has posted on the twisted twins!

So, first question: How to tell the wife about what will be showing up in the workshop??
Notorious Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #65
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,450
Look her straight in the eye when you bring it home, and tell her....Hey, look what I bought! It's gnna save us money on gas, and i'm gonna travel on it.

Then, no matter what she says, you just stick to your guns.

Hopefully she's cool, and just says...What a pile, but it's your money and time.

Congrats man!
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #66
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Scoundrel View Post
Hi all,

I'm picking it up 3 days from now so will be sure to post pictures.
So, first question: How to tell the wife about what will be showing up in the workshop??
You know the rule here - no pics - it never happened!

Inquiring minds want to know - what happened?
Surely you took them as you unloaded it right -
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #67
redbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
HondaGuzzi's of the world unite

check out the www.cx500forum.com for a great group of riders.
1972 Honda CL450 DOHC
redbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #68
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
It's been about 6 years since I sold my 80 and 81 CX500Cs to buy a Goldwing but the GW just didn't fit me ergonomically. The CX was just perfect for for my use except for the small gas tank so I found good deal on a 81 GL500 locally with only 22K miles but missing the fairing. I just happen to have an old Vetter Windjammer in the garage that will work nicely. Won't get a chance to get it all fixed up until next spring but I'm looking forward to the lovely and familiar sound of the CX engine pushing me down the road.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #69
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
It's been about 6 years since I sold my 80 and 81 CX500Cs to buy a Goldwing but the GW just didn't fit me ergonomically. The CX was just perfect for for my use except for the small gas tank so I found good deal on a 81 GL500 locally with only 22K miles but missing the fairing. I just happen to have an old Vetter Windjammer in the garage that will work nicely. Won't get a chance to get it all fixed up until next spring but I'm looking forward to the lovely and familiar sound of the CX engine pushing me down the road.
Great day to ride today. Was relaxing as all get out.
I recently had a real bad oil leak from the front case cover, but got that fixed up and might get some pictures up this week.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #70
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
The bike that started it all--1st year 1978 CX500. Mechanical cooling fan driven off the cam, stator-powered ignition.

as purchased:

This bike looks familiar. Did you buy it from a guy named Steve in Jacksonville/Jax Beach?
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #71
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

So.

The Wing has been getting progressively worse. Up to a 1/2 quart of oil every 2 days, leaking out the front cover, behind the clutch and oil filter covers. Which means that half of my pants have a 6 inch stain on the right leg cuff, and my right boot is well waterproofed. And shiny.

So, I tore into it last weekend.

Seat, tank, lower and upper fairings, one exhaust pipe, and the upper fairing mounts, all have to come off, to get the radiator off, and expose the mechanical fan.

Then you have to pry off, the metal fan outer bushing, to get the fan off. A puller, works well, but make sure the feet are on the metal part, not the plastic fan. Don't ask.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. t.i.t. = tight.

Success! The cover comes off, inspect and realign gasket that was kinked in one corner, and black silicone both sides of the entire thing.
Slap it back on, and reassemble.

And.....................................

NO MORE OILD DRIPS!

Sorry for the crappy pics, but I can't seem to donload my pics from the phone, to the laptop. Which means I can't upload them to my smuggy.

So, trying out this verizon free online gallery.

It sucks.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #72
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

For future reference, easy way to remove the mechanical fan, you can pick up a bolt at any auto parts store that fits the fan hub thread (look at replacement oil drain pan bolts). It is way more easier using the bolt to push it out rather than trying to fit a puller up in there.
Also if you ever strip the radiator drain bolt (like I did one day over tightening the stock plastic bolt) the same auto oil pan drain bolt works in the radiator plug.

thanks for sharing the pics
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #73
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
For future reference, easy way to remove the mechanical fan, you can pick up a bolt at any auto parts store that fits the fan hub thread (look at replacement oil drain pan bolts). It is way more easier using the bolt to push it out rather than trying to fit a puller up in there.
Also if you ever strip the radiator drain bolt (like I did one day over tightening the stock plastic bolt) the same auto oil pan drain bolt works in the radiator plug.

thanks for sharing the pics
Thanks.

I avoid the radiator drain bolt, I just pull the lower hose.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #74
gkam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hi UnckleDirt,
You need only these three "tools" to dismantle the CX engine.

The steel plate holds the crankshaft gear.

gkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #75
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Got my $500 81 GL500I on the road yesterday and it's running great. To get it in good useable shape I had to rebuild the carbs using Randakk's kits, replaced voltage regulator with an aftermarket unit from eBay, replaced fork seals, build brackets and install a Windjammer fairing, remove rust from inside the gas tank with electrolysis, new spark plugs, rebuild plug caps, new wider handlebars, fix rear seat latches, adjust valves and timing chain, and other minor repairs. Tires have a lot of tread but I suspect they're old so I'll replace them before riding it much. Speedo squeals badly so I'll try to repair or replace it with a digital speedo. Also need to find a sheepskin seat cover.

The GLI will be more practical than my old CX500Cs with the larger gas tank, luggage, fairing, and cushy suspension. It'll also suit my needs better than my GL1000 being lighter, smaller, with better ground clearance and better handling.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote