ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #53041
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,519
so, as promised here is:

the route from the Big Hock Hollow Ride yesterday, for anyone who might be interested:

http://goo.gl/maps/g77B3

as well as a short clip of the sideways camera video, just for Meef :

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #53042
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
But if you noticed I decided to change that post almost as fast as I posted it.

Bad timing, fixed

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #53043
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
06 Husky TE610. Anyone own/ride one? Swapped PMs with Dualsport about the one he has in the classifieds. Sounds like an upgrade to the KLR?
They're great bikes, it's night and day different/better than a KLR in terms of power/weight/offroad manners. Slightly shorter maintenance intervals, not as cheap to own, but a better bike no doubt about it.

305lbs and 53hp, with a better suspension and an 18" rear wheel, 6-speed gear box, stiff frame.

Vs.

370lbs and 36hp, with a slushy suspension and frame, 17" rear wheel and a 5 speed gear box.

Having ridden both, the KLR wins (stock) on long range comfort, but not by much. The 610's a very smooth thumper, it has a long wheelbase and a smooth motor. Offroad, there's no comparison.

swingset screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 12:57 PM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #53044
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I had a 610 for quite some time. Loved it. Zero mechanical issues.

The year I had used Showa on both ends and I had it done up by Suspensions by Jake. Long wheelbase and as stable as a train. I could just hold it open and blast through rock gardens....Almost nothing would deflect that bike. On the flip side it did not like to turn the the woods. I basically had to get used to brake sliding it around most turns.

I would love to have a supermoto 610, should have bought Solace's . The 6 speed and stability would be great on the street.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #53045
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 292
Lest you judge. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrtybyrd View Post
I'm old enough to remember Jim Stillwagon, the OSU football player. He wasn't just an average player, but a 2 time All American defensive lineman who played on the 1968 national championship team. In his senior year he was the Outland trophy winner, as well as the first Lombardi award recipient. He was also named defensive player of the year by UPI.

All that being said, I hope he gets fair, but not favorable treatment by the legal system. From the initial reports, his actions don't seem justified and if he's found guilty, will constitute yet another black mark on all of us who ride.
I've been trail riding with Jim in southern Ohio. A nice guy and an honor for me to be able to say that I rode with a - at one time - celebrity. Jim was a down-to-earth, normal guy - not the Superman that many people thought. I would venture to say that he has dealt with 'celebrity' in the past and understood how to deal with people that throw themselves at you - when you least feel like it.

Until the facts come out, I can only guess what happened. But I've got a gut feeling that the pick up truck driver was not coming home from church. Was the guy so smart he decided to take his bare fists to a gun fight? I would consider it a pretty solid statement to pistol-whip someone - kinda let you know just how close that gun is to you . . (if any of that happened. . .)

I've had a couple of run-ins with driver's who have pinched me off at 60mph - really close. I get pretty hot pretty fast. That's not me, but I can get 'there'.

I will say that 'the guy' must have jerked Jim's chain - and maybe Jim was having a bad day.

And I think he just wanted to make sure 'the guy' had a bad day too.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 02:23 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #53046
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I've been trail riding with Jim in southern Ohio. A nice guy and an honor for me to be able to say that I rode with a - at one time - celebrity. Jim was a down-to-earth, normal guy - not the Superman that many people thought. I would venture to say that he has dealt with 'celebrity' in the past and understood how to deal with people that throw themselves at you - when you least feel like it.

Until the facts come out, I can only guess what happened. But I've got a gut feeling that the pick up truck driver was not coming home from church. Was the guy so smart he decided to take his bare fists to a gun fight? I would consider it a pretty solid statement to pistol-whip someone - kinda let you know just how close that gun is to you . . (if any of that happened. . .)

I've had a couple of run-ins with driver's who have pinched me off at 60mph - really close. I get pretty hot pretty fast. That's not me, but I can get 'there'.

I will say that 'the guy' must have jerked Jim's chain - and maybe Jim was having a bad day.

And I think he just wanted to make sure 'the guy' had a bad day too.

I have talked to a few that know him and they have all said he is a nice guy.

Yeah my GF asked how in the world does this sort of thing happen. I said if someone pulls a bonehead move....one where I could have possibly died if it were not for my skills and years of seat time I get pretty mad. If I look at the driver and they look back and give me the "holy shit dude, I am totally sorry" look. I am usually pissed but I let it go kowing the guy was probably freaked out as much as I was. Shit happens, part of riding.

On the other hand, if I look at the guy and get flipped off or the hairy eyeball, like it is my fault........it is on like Donky Kong. I see red and want to pound his head into the pavement until the playdoh comes out. Fine line, but a line none the less.

I would assume most car drivers think....pull out in front of a car....pull out in front of a bike....same thing...who cares.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #53047
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I would assume most car drivers think....pull out in front of a car....pull out in front of a bike....same thing...who cares.
Oh they pull out in front of bikes because they don't see them...

They need to run PSA's like this one here in the states...

http://youtu.be/sUvUo79LG_c

That's why I ride with these...

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 03:20 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #53048
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
On the other hand, if I look at the guy and get flipped off or the hairy eyeball, like it is my fault........it is on like Donky Kong. I see red and want to pound his head into the pavement until the playdoh comes out. Fine line, but a line none the less.
I think we all feel that, but when you're a CCW holder you have to be smarter than your emotions. Once it could possibly be a confrontation - at that point where YOU decide whether to escalate things with words or actions, you have to shut that aggression off and leave. Because if you don't even if the shoot is justified (as in your life is in danger) your actions can and will be attacked as you looking to shoot someone (See: George Zimmerman)

You might be in the right, 100%, and you'll still pay $50,000 in legal fees, or worse sit in jail for 20 years for murder.

I've had several situations where someone was a royal cock to me, aggressive and pushy, I had to throw up my arms in "hey, no prob broseph, you win today" surrender and walk away. Carrying had BETTER make you a calm SOB, or you'll be sitting in a cell like former OSU-GS rider.

swingset screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 03:27 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #53049
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I think there is a lot of gray area in the law, even (espcially?) with the castle doctrine and it's extension to a vehicle.

In most any case of even a totally righteous self defense killing, the shooter can expect to be taken into custody by police pending a review of the case by the prosecutor and grand jury.

The defense you put forth, then, can make the difference between being charged and not. You would need to articulate in very specific terms what transpired to cause you to be in fear for your life; any attempts to reconcile the situation, call for help, or get away prior to the shooting; and even your post shooting actions - like calling for help, rendering first aid, etc. My advice in this regard if any of you should ever be in this position would be keep your mouth shut, make no statements of any sort to police, and immediately call a good attorney who deals with this sort of thing. Follow the advice of that attorney and let him issue any statements to the police on your behalf.

The real question, Luke, is whether you should carry your Glock chamber empty or not. Can you perhaps summarize the pros and cons of each style, in video format if possible?
Good advice meef. Now that said, why would anyone carry condition 3 or 4? With modern striker fired autos like the glock and clones,or even a dao/first round da, why would anyone carry on an empty chamber given the fact alone that your life will depend on how fast you can get your pistol ready and do what needs done?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #53050
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
I heard a snippet of a statement from the truck driver on 610, he said his transmission was acting up and jerking the truck, but otherwise he was doing nothing...

Smells like bullshit, if that was the case and he is completely innocent, why did the altercation go on for 14 miles?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #53051
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I heard a snippet of a statement from the truck driver on 610, he said his transmission was acting up and jerking the truck, but otherwise he was doing nothing...

Smells like bullshit, if that was the case and he is completely innocent, why did the altercation go on for 14 miles?
The witnesses (I've seen two now) say he was aggressively weaving in and out of traffic. Sounds like he is full of shit.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #53052
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Not always, and things are not always as they seem.

What if the truck driver was out of his vehicle, making verbal threats, then told the GS'er "I'm getting a gun and killing you!", and then began to run back to his truck? This after the road rage incident where the truck driver already displayed a tendency to violate laws and engage in aggressive, reckless, stalking, menacing, and assaultive behavior.

Would the biker be justified in going after the trucker and shooting at this point? The truck driver appears to be in retreat, and is currently unarmed. However, he has clearly demonstrated and voiced his intention to procure a weapon and kill the biker. Should the biker wait until the trucker gets the gun to engage him? Should the biker try and leave and then lose his ability to defend himself? Hard to dodge bullets even on a fast bike.

I would argue that this situation (as I presented) is a legitimate self defense shooting. I don't have enough info on the actual incident to render an opinion.
In this case a strong leaning twards yes. Im not a lawyer though. But in the case in point it sounded like the truckdriver was driving away, not walking to his vehicle.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #53053
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
I'd be willing to bet my ass that the truck would drive just fine. I love the liter factor in cases like this. I quickly hit fast forward and they disappear. Sad to hear of what happend though :(
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #53054
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
What a joke.

Pistol-whip?

I would hate to be in a position in which I was so in fear for my life that I need to pull out a pistol, but if that ever happend there would be no warning shot....or shooting at something, or pistol whipping. There would be two to the chest and one to the head and there the threat would be over. Pulling a gun as a threat is a chicken shit move.
Pistol whipping isn't an act of fearing for your life unless its all you can do. Thats intimidation.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #53055
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
You sure about that, or could it count against OSU football instead? They seem to like tattoos and drugs, why not add gun violence.
It's better than some colleges.