Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
We have a lot of riders in California, and filtering is legal and your hypothetical doesn't match my practical experience/observation.
i haven't ever ridden or driven in cali to know.

but, others have described to me that when filtering in cali, you stay between the cars on multi lane roads and, so, you and the cars still pull away at the same time...so, you aren't holding the cars up at all. you aren't skipping line, you are creating another line. is that correct?

if so, that is different from what the OP asked. (he asked about the kind of "filtering" i see from time to time around here...where you go around cars and then cut back in front of them.)

if not, and you are actually pulling in front of the lead car so that the car that was 1st in line is now 2nd in line, the 2nd in line is now 3rd in line, etc. how do you surmise you are not having an effect? how did you measure how many cars would have made it through the light had you and several other bikes not skipped to the front of the line? have you timed how long it is between when the light turns green and when the first car starts accelerating (in cases where no line skipping has happened vs. in cases where line skipping has happened)?

obviously, the 2nd person in a line cannot begin to accelerate until the 1st person has pulled away. the 3rd cannot begin to accelerate until the 2nd has pulled away, etc. so, obviously, moving someone from 1st in line to 2nd in line (or 2nd in line to 3rd in line, etc.) is going to delay them to some extent.

LittleRedToyota screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 03:14 PM
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote